Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges and PPS No.s required

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Is it just me or is anyone else Pi**ed off with the fact that they want all our PPS NO.s
    for this transaction. I have a real problem with this. I'd be worried that with all the fraud
    going on that this new company set up would go and loose them. Anyway, I don't understand why they should actually need them.
    Any comments??

Cheers
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

What damage can someone do with a PPS number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

They are some craic pretending that taxes won't be going up during this budget, while introducing an additional several hundred euro water charge tax, on top of existing taxes for the rest of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Id be more concerned about how anyone can inject a substance into the meter and kill your whole family??????????????/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Have a read of gene kerrigans piece in the sindo yesterday. Was very interesting regarding PPS.

Water charges in this water drenched country of ours is a joke.
    This charge is all part of the COUNTRYS RECVOVERY .Assholes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

Have a read of gene kerrigans piece in the sindo yesterday. Was very interesting regarding PPS.

Just read it there. I'd say the whole article was written about in ten minutes.
    A lot of ranting without any real substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note: Folks just a gentle reminder this is not a place to rant about the charges, taxes or any of the politicians. Try keep your posts within the remit of the forum.

Could you please also refrain from using bad language, there is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Folks,

Is it just me or is anyone else Pi**ed off with the fact that they want all our PPS NO.s for this transaction.

It's just you.

And they don't want all of them, only one per household.

Using a centrally managed unique identifier is likely to make the whole process a good deal more robust than it would be otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

It's just you.

Using a centrally managed unique identifier is likely to make the whole process a good deal more robust than it would be otherwise.

They do want all, to help allocate allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

I really can't understand why people are thinking about paying this charge,it's beyond me

• Advertisement

edber2011 wrote: »
    This charge is all part of the COUNTRYS RECVOVERY .Assholes

Totally agree,the sheep will follow the herd,people seriously need to open their eyes and question this tax

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They do want all, to help allocate allowances

The application pack which I filled out clearly said "only one number is required".

Yes, they want kids numbers for allowances (and I'd love to see a data match between that and the child-benefit too ... but that's for another forum).

But they do not want all adults numbers.

Ye have to fill out the form as its legal but you don't have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I have a real issue with giving them my pps too. I just dont see why its so badly needed I have plenty of other utilities to pay, (gas, electric,tv etc) they all manage to bill me without it. Also the form says I have to give it to avail of the household allowance of 30000l p/a, but surely the fact that I'm returning the form at all if proof enough that there is a person there whom should be given the allowance (no kids in our household) I just dont see why they so desperately need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Thanks.

Link, if anyone else would like to read: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/the-government-is-ppsing-all-over-us-30602998.html

They do not need a PPS number to supply water so they must want it for some other purpose or purposes.

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    I really can't understand why people are thinking about paying this charge,it's beyond me

Because as all good gangsters know, when they put a gun to your head, what are you going to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

It's very simple, if you want your free allowances for every adult and child in the household supply Irish Water with the pps numbers so they can verify the number in the household. How else are they expected to know how many adult/kids there are in every house? If there was no pps number verification for the free allowances I think you would find the declared population of every house in Ireland would at least double overnight!

Very simple to give a few PPS numbers for family who are away at college or abroad, so the PPS no. is far from foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Suppose that's what's going to happen when you make the provider deal with the welfare side of things instead of the Dept. of Social Protection. How do childrens/fuel/phone/rent allowences work? Why is this preferable to keeping it part of those services?

Is it possible to return without any PPS? And just forego any allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »

Because the EU and the Troika have said that the concept of free water cannot continue. It was a condition of the bailout - remember? Water rates and Property Tax - Or no bailout!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Id be more concerned about how anyone can inject a substance into the meter and kill your whole family??????????????/

No, because I'm not paranoid and this is possible meter or meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

PPS number - absolutely no requirement whatsoever to give it.

You only need to give it if you wish to claim the 30,000litre household allowance - if you don't want the free allowance, (or children's allowance) you don't need to enter a pps number.

As for Gene Kerrigan - second rate journalist writing for what has become a second rate tabloid purporting to be a broadsheet. - The indo has had such an amount of false info on water charges you could write a book of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But the stuff you drink from the tap is not rainwater straight from the sky. It is stored and treated and has to be pumped to you. It is not free. It costs money to do all this. The only argument can be about how this process is paid for but arguing that there should be no charge "because it rains a lot" it nonsense I'm afraid.

Edit: don't forget sewage treatment costs as well! Your waste water doesn't treat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

delahuntv wrote: »
    PPS number - absolutely no requirement whatsoever to give it.

You only need to give it if you wish to claim the 30,000litre household allowance - if you don't want the free allowance, (or children's allowance) you don't need to enter a pps number.

As for Gene Kerrigan - second rate journalist writing for what has become a second rate tabloid purporting to be a broadsheet. - The indo has had such an amount of false info on water charges you could write a book of fiction.

I've no problem with the concept of water charges at all to be honest, I think they're fair enough to a certain extent. I don't mind paying for a good service.

What I object to here is this notion that because I'm not willing to hand out my pps number willy nilly to a utility companythey won't be giving me the "free allowance". The free allowance is, according to the Irish water booklet, available to all households of 1 or more persons. Therefore if I fill in and return my form, that act in its self proves that I am a household of at least one person and should be entitled to the allowance. They do not need my pps number to verify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

It's just you.

Ok, well the form I received, in my bundle, is asking for all the kids PPS no. Perhaps I'm wrong here and only need to submit one number, haven't read it all yet to be honest.

Love the way these threads go way off topic for people to have a good rant.

Regarding the question of PPS no and 'what harm it could do', well its one step closer to identity theft. Remember the all the incidents of laptops being left around with crucial information like this.
    My God, even 'Apple Green' want more than enough information to get a loyalty card. I gave up filling it in when they wanted my address and other information. Sorry , bit off topic, my point that all this information is lurking and clearly a lot of it is just to benefit the receiver in terms of data.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I've no problem with the concept of water charges at all to be honest, I think they're fair enough to a certain extent. I don't mind paying for a good service.

What I object to here is this notion that because I'm not willing to hand out my pps number willy nilly to a utility companythey won't be giving me the "free allowance". The free allowance is, according to the Irish water booklet, available to all households of 1 or more persons. Therefore if I fill in and return my form, that act in its self proves that I am a household of at least one person and should be entitled to the allowance. They do not need my pps number to verify that!

Here here....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont see the issue tbh although It is/was a bit of a pain in the ass for me personally.

Had to take a day off work yesterday to register the birth of my new son just so I could sort getting a PPS number for him to fill in the form and thus get his water allowance. Granted I would have had to register the birth at some stage but it was an inconvienence to be rused into doing it when tbh I have enough on my plate right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

murphaph wrote: »
    Edit: don't forget sewage treatment costs as well! Your waste water doesn't treat itself.

That's assuming your sewage gets treated and doesn't just flow into the local river. But you will pay for other peoples' to be treated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's just a unique identifier for a person, to make sure that my "allowance" is alocated to where I live now (and use water) and not at my parents home (where I'm registered to vote).

Otherwise you'd have people claiming they lived at 3/4 addresses.

Quite simple really.

Advertisement