Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges and PPS No.s required

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

We have to (reluctantly) give a PPS No. in order to avail of the allowances...

. But we have no idea what the bill looks like as Irish Water have no bloody clue themselves.

The whole thing has been a disaster from the get-go.

You can get a failrly good idea of how much your bills will be from the figures here : http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ogham wrote: »
    You can get a failrly good idea of how much your bills will be from the figures here : http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges

Id take that with a pinch of salt given the booket Irish Water sent out with the application form states they have no idea on what the charges will be and that householders will be informed when they do.

Depends what you consider a faily good idea. Id say theres at least a +/- 10% margin of error there.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I've asked Irish water 5 times today on twitter to clarify my circumstance- i'm a member of a private group water scheme and have a private septic tank... so i'm not a customer of irish water, i asked them why do they still seek a ppsn on the form even though i am not nor ever will be a customer of them!
    suprise suprise... no reply!

D3PO wrote: »
    Id take that with a pinch of salt given the booket Irish Water sent out with the application form states they have no idea on what the charges will be and that householders will be informed when they do.

Depends what you consider a faily good idea. Id say theres at least a +/- 10% margin of error there.

Irish Water know exactly what charges have been proposed they calculated them ! Iit's just they need the final stamp of approval from CER. Those figures on that site are all the proposed charges and the unmetered ones tally exactly with figures that IW spokesperson is always giving out on Tv/Radio.

barney 20v wrote: »
    I've asked Irish water 5 times today on twitter to clarify my circumstance- i'm a member of a private group water scheme and have a private septic tank... so i'm not a customer of irish water, i asked them why do they still seek a ppsn on the form even though i am not nor ever will be a customer of them!
    suprise suprise... no reply!

They don't ask for your pps if you are not a customer . You tick boxes in Section B then it tells you to go straight to section F (Just another tick to say you have read the declaration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Irish Water know exactly what charges have been proposed they calculated them ! Iit's just they need the final stamp of approval from CER. Those figures on that site are all the proposed charges and the unmetered ones tally exactly with figures that IW spokesperson is always giving out on Tv/Radio.

And the CER have on many occasions rejected proposals on charges put to them. Im just saying a proposal is only that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Rang them today about direct debit payments and they could not answer any questions i put to them

I cannot understand how they can expect the 3 month bill to be paid before end January when the bill will only arrive January .

If its not paid before end Jan , I heard they will add on 4.5%

I want a DD set up so I can pay monthly , but IW could not even advise if this was possible

Rang them today about direct debit payments and they could not answer any questions i put to them

I cannot understand how they can expect the 3 month bill to be paid before end January when the bill will only arrive January .

If its not paid before end Jan , I heard they will add on 4.5%

I want a DD set up so I can pay monthly , but IW could not even advise if this was possible

There is no 4.5% interest - don't know where you heard that.
    To much rubbish going round about these charges - most of it made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I had a look at the money ireland guide there. By stating that only I live in the property I'm going to save myself 100 quid a year. I live in an apartment and it isn't metered so they'll never know. Grand job.

I had a look at the money ireland guide there. By stating that only I live in the property I'm going to save myself 100 quid a year. I live in an apartment and it isn't metered so they'll never know. Grand job.

Get a few lodgers in while you're at it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm staying in my grandmother's house and I am taking care of the house. I give my grandfather a small sum of money even though he doesn't want anything

Thats more akin to house sitting than anything else to be honest.
    There are people who are paid to live in other people's houses- and take charge of the upkeep of the property.

If your grandfather does not want money for the transaction- don't push it on him- you are needlessly complicating the situation. If it assuages your conscience- put a reasonable sum aside in a bank account for a rainy day- you never know when your grandad might have unexpected medical expenses or what not. Once you hand money over- you create a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Irishgirl, what s/he was trying to ask is if your grandfather lives in the same house, not where in the country he is.

Someone below has suggested that you could live in a house owned by your grandfather rent free, and instead of rent just give occasional gifts to him. But if you do this, then:

1) your grandfather may be liable for tax on the gifts (depending on the lifetime amount), AND
    2) you may be liable for tax on the market value of the accommodation provided to you.

Now you really are doing a caretaker role in the property, things may be different. But I suspect that Revenue would look for some evidence of that - things like tools, materials purchases etc. Just living there is NOT being a caretaker.

To get back to your original point (and assuming that your grandfather doesn't live in the house):- I doubt that the water billing thing will immediately cause Revenue to catch up with the fact that your grandfather is not paying the tax he should be paying on the rent you pay. At least not immediately. But it might do longer term.

Thanks for this. It was a house that was left to him so wasn't in use.he doesn't want to rent it out for fear of it being wrecked so said I can stay in it as long as I take care of bills, I give him about a third of what he could get for renting I and in turn I am able to work in the capital and he knows the house is looked after. I think if he had to start registering and paying rates he would rather cease our agreement than go through the hassle tbh .I don't want to land a big bill on his door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

guess what - I heard it on one of the many forums here .........and even worse I was believing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Yeah this seems made up alright, by a bunch of chancers :rolleyes:

http://www.water.ie/docs/General-Conditions-for-a-Water-and-Wastewater-connection.pdf
    see section 1.12, on page 22

1.12 Payment: Payment of the Connection Charge and any
    other amounts agreed between Irish Water and the
    Customer shall be made on the due date for payment. Any
    overdue accounts shall be subject to an interest payment at
    the rate of 4.5% per month or part thereof until payment.

Yeah this seems made up alright, by a bunch of chancers :rolleyes:

http://www.water.ie/docs/General-Conditions-for-a-Water-and-Wastewater-connection.pdf
    see section 1.12, on page 22

1.12 Payment: Payment of the Connection Charge and any
    other amounts agreed between Irish Water and the
    Customer shall be made on the due date for payment. Any
    overdue accounts shall be subject to an interest payment at
    the rate of 4.5% per month or part thereof until payment.

Have a closer look - Those are t&C for new connections - not for domestic water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

barney 20v wrote: »
    I've asked Irish water 5 times today
    Would you give them a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Myself and my girlfriend live together in a house we own. We only received one application pack (in her name).

Do we both need to be registered or is it sufficient to register in her name and note that there are 2 people living in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Myself and my girlfriend live together in a house we own. We only received one application pack (in her name).

Do we both need to be registered or is it sufficient to register in her name and note that there are 2 people living in the house?

You just need one person in the house to say they're the customer, and how many people live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IW are really ramping up the scaremongering in the rental sector..

They apparently announced yesterday that landlords will be liable if their tenants don't register/pay up (although I remember reading this weeks ago so not sure why it's news now?), and I'm listening to people on Newstalk here this morning in the property management/landlord game:

- threats to evict tenants if they don't pay
    - landlords saying they won't renew a tenant's lease if they haven't registered etc

Leaving aside the usual divide & conquer approach, or the irony that many of these landlords don't want to pay themselves, I'm not sure how a controversial utility bill like IW fits in to things like the Tenancy Acts etc.

I reckon the PRTB will be busy fielding calls today.

Advertisement