Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Change on petrol car

• 22-09-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

I've booked my car (petrol) in to have the oil changed this week. Since 20th May when I bought her she has driven 4500km (yes, in 4-months) and all else is okay with her.

Since I bought her I've only needed to top up the oil twice though. Just want to keep it clean n fresh.
    Should I wait another while more?

Am I daft doing this now? I don't know when it was done before I bought her so thinking it best to do this now and date it; and then every 4000-5000km or 4-months from now re-do :confused:

As I said, booking her just for this as nothing else needs doing.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Oil change is simple - open a nut and let oil spill out into a dish - unscrew filter and replace with new clean filter - replace sump nut and then fill up oil to required level... Simples even I can do it - and no waiting around for a mechanic or dropping off your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

DK man wrote: »
    Oil change is simple - open a nut and let oil spill out into a dish - unscrew filter and replace with new clean filter - replace sump nut and then fill up oil to required level... Simples even I can do it - and no waiting around for a mechanic or dropping off your car

Yeah I know simples, but not something I'm going to try & do myself. My question is in relation to timing of oil change though.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Depends on the car. 4500km isnt a huge amount. I work in miles and change mine every 6-7k miles using castrol edge. Is it burning oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

you have not said what car,if new after 2009 would be using a low ash oil and changed at 10-12000 km or once a year.

oil changes are not as simple as they used to be as now plastic housings with paper elements and o rings needing special tools .

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Depends on the car. 4500km isnt a huge amount. I work in miles and change mine every 6-7k miles using castrol edge. Is it burning oil?

Thank You.

Okay so roughly 9-10,000km so but I don't know when oil was last changed. No she ain't burning oil at all like.

I don't know man, maybe I'm just looking for a project.

Might wait some time more,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    you have not said what car,if new after 2009 would be using a low ash oil and changed at 10-12000 km or once a year.

oil changes are not as simple as they used to be as now plastic housings with paper elements and o rings needing special tools .

Yeah, after she is after 2009 so hold tough for now so.

Thank you,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If you dont know when the oil was changed get it done now.

Service intervals are manufacturer dependant. Ford recommend every 20k km or every year I think Renault are 30k km so depends on what your driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Oil change intervals vary from car to car, you wont go wrong changing it if you dont know how long since the last change. Whenever i buy a different car i always change the oil and coolant straight away as ya naver know (unless stated) when they were last changed and what was actually put in. There is too many people putting in cheap oil which may and i say may cause problems. As was said Castrol is a good make or i use Fuchs i find my car runs great on it.

If you dont know when the oil was changed get it done now.

Service intervals are manufacturer dependant. Ford recommend every 20k km or every year I think Renault are 30k km so depends on what your driving.

Okay so err on side of caution. Document from date this week and watch the clock from there. That's what I was thinking when I booked her in.

Coolio,
    kerry4sam

obezyana wrote: »
    Oil change intervals vary from car to car, you wont go wrong changing it if you dont know how long since the last change. Whenever i buy a different car i always change the oil and coolant straight away as ya naver know (unless stated) when they were last changed and what was actually put in. There is too many people putting in cheap oil which may and i say may cause problems. As was said Castrol is a good make or i use Fuchs i find my car runs great on it.

Yeah coolio. Shall keep her booked in & get it done. Another project shall be ticked off then.

• Advertisement

Thanks All,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

agreed if in doubt get oil changed and a simple sticker on door pillar with mileage and date is good for reference.modern cars do need regular oil changes as some engines have poor timing chains which wear quicker.we use mobil oil a well proven
    brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

She? Her? WTF like....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Esel wrote: »
    She? Her? WTF like....

'Zackly. The General is most definitely male. OP, no harm whatsoever. Take the recommended change interval and halve it, if it be playsin' you.

DK man wrote: »
    Oil change is simple - open a nut and let oil spill out into a dish - unscrew filter and replace with new clean filter - replace sump nut and then fill up oil to required level...

...not forgetting to run a smear of fresh oil around the new filter's seal before fitting. Also, after filling up, start and run for a few minutes then check and top-up again, after the filter has filled. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's simple to do, hardest part is usually taking the old filter off and trying to get the correct amount of oil in. You should first look to where the oil filter is positioned and see that you will have enough access to it, either from the top of the engine with your hands going down or else to have the car rose up enough on axle stands or ramps so that you have enough room for accessing it. Open the oil filler cap on the car first, then open the sump nut, this will help the oil drain out, best doing it while the engine is still warm as the oil will flow out better, careful as oil is hot. To check how much oil and the type you need check your cars manual or else Castrol.co.uk or Google it. Oil is normally bought in 4 or 5 litre containers, try to mark on it how much oil you need to be left in it so that your car will have the correct oil added, helps rather than trying to guess.

She? Her? WTF like....

I refuse to refer to my car as an 'IT'

Just force of habit referring to my car using a term of endearment of some kind tbh
    Think that answers your question.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    'Zackly. The General is most definitely male. OP, no harm whatsoever. Take the recommended change interval and halve it, if it be playsin' you.

Thanks for your reply,
    kerry4sam

...not forgetting to run a smear of fresh oil around the new filter's seal before fitting. Also, after filling up, start and run for a few minutes then check and top-up again, after the filter has filled. ;)

Thanks. That's what the mechanic done alright. Crikey, spent some time of her so he did.
    It's simple to do, hardest part is usually taking the old filter off and trying to get the correct amount of oil in. You should first look to where the oil filter is positioned and see that you will have enough access to it, either from the top of the engine with your hands going down or else to have the car rose up enough on axle stands or ramps so that you have enough room for accessing it. Open the oil filler cap on the car first, then open the sump nut, this will help the oil drain out, best doing it while the engine is still warm as the oil will flow out better, careful as oil is hot. To check how much oil and the type you need check your cars manual or else Castrol.co.uk or Google it. Oil is normally bought in 4 or 5 litre containers, try to mark on it how much oil you need to be left in it so that your car will have the correct oil added, helps rather than trying to guess.

Job done today by my mechanic. He ended up putting over 5-litres of oil into her. Was going to buy a small bottle of what they use in event I need to top her up but was told no need. She doesn't burn oil, as was in great nick.
    Delira I got this done,
    Next service check up on inner windscreen also,

Thanks again to all for input and advice in here,
    kerry4sam

She? Her? WTF like....

My cars have always been classed as beautiful ladies and almost all of them give me a wonderful fun ride on a daily basis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Kerry if you're planning on keeping the car and you don't know when the oil was last changed I'd say do it.

If for no other reason than you avoid huge guilt trip when something goes wrong and you think if only I'd .....:eek:

As for doing it yourself, yes. I did about 35+ years ago. Especially if you have a pit. If not crwling under a car, getting yourself covered in oil and $hoite is worth €80 or whatever it is.

I hope she's lucky for you ;)

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    My cars have always been classed as beautiful ladies and almost all of them give me a wonderful fun ride on a daily basis :D

Aye. And then you can turn 'er off and park her, and go do something else in peace!! :pac:

Aye. And then you can turn 'er off and park her, and go do something else in peace!! :pac:

:D

Alright, me thinks time for this to close. Job done this morning on my Beautiful Car.

Thanks again everyone,
    kerry4sam

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thanks All,
    kerry4sam

If you have any diy skills your well able! Save a few quid and know it got the correct oil and filter! I use main steeler filters and oil doesn't cost much more and im dealing with Mercedes.

I change it every 7k and gives piece of mind, but im sympathetic to mechanical components! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What make of car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What make of car is she?
    FYP :cool:

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement