Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphones 6 really worth it ?

• 22-09-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Is it really worth all that extra cash seriously ? I have the 5s and to pay an extra 3 4 hundred quid for what ? Slightly better cam slightly bigger phone, the apple pay is really cool to me but sure when will all our stores and stuff have that in to make it any use.. The prediction text is rubbish imo you have to type to the last letter to get your word

I love iphone but dont think this upgrade is worth all the cash anless your quite flush with cash :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Iphone whatsit..... meh. Society has reached idiocracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Is it really worth all that extra cash seriously ? I have the 5s and to pay an extra 3 4 hundred quid for what ? Slightly better cam slightly bigger phone, the apple pay is really cool to me but sure when will all our stores and stuff have that in to make it any use.. The prediction text is rubbish imo you have to type to the last letter to get your word

I love iphone but dont think this upgrade is worth all the cash anless your quite flush with cash :)

Depends, some people are big tech fans and love to have the latest and greatest, they want the bigger screen, the improved camera, better speeds. Predictive texts is an iOS feature and available on all supported devices, not just the iPhone 6. ApplePay won't be in Ireland at launch, and no plan or date to if/when it will be available.

The cost for some people can be a lot less too, the resale value for the 5S is still decent, and a well looked after 5S can still demand a high value. For me, I'm upgrading from the iPhone 5, at first I wasn't sure whether is was worth it, but reading reviews and seeing hands on videos I decided to upgrade.

The choice comes down to whether you want the iPhone 6 exclusives, bigger & better screen, much improved camera, improved specs, NFC, new design as well as better battery life. For me, I get all the 5S improvements too so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

The prediction text is rubbish imo you have to type to the last letter to get your word

that doesn't really have anything to do with the difference between iPhone 5 and iPhone 6, thats purely software.

have you upgraded to iOS8? that has 3rd party keyboards so you might fair better with the likes of Swype or Fleksy or Swiftkey as your keyboard.

seems you've already made up your mind not to upgrade, do you want us to talk you into it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

5-10 % better performance than the 5s. Had the 6Plus and sold it within days. Biggest letdown ever and turned me completely off iPhones now.

Galaxy Note 4 is out in a few days. Thats where my money is going.

test2014 wrote: »
    5-10 % better performance than the 5s. Had the 6Plus and sold it within days. Biggest letdown ever and turned me completely off iPhones now.

oh will you ever just go off over to the android forum, you were the same in the other thread, we get it, you don't like iPhones

• Advertisement

Right since this thread is about whether it's worth it or not, it seems appropriate. I have to ask what was such a letdown about the 6 Plus? And what you were upgrading from too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I went from the 5s to the iphone 6 and I love it..definitely the bigger screen was a major factor in my decision to upgrade..if screen size had stayed the size I wouldn't have bothered and waited for the 6S.
    Also i frakking love that double tap the home button to bring the app/page halfway down the screen so you can still use the iphone one handed.
    This is the shít that Apple think about when they launch a product..how to make it as user friendly as possible.. Samsung? no doubt they'll copy it next time much like the 64bit cpu, the touch ID that they continue to make a complete arse off and yet they run ads slagging off Apple?..what a bunch of tossers..the only android phones I rate are the HTC versions and the Google nexus range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

If you have the 5S, there's really no need to replace with a iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, unless you prefer the bigger screens. The A7 chip in the 5S is still incredibly fast and iOS 8 offers most of the new features including Metal which is great for games.

If you own an iPhone 4 or 4S, then definitely upgrade.
    iPhone 5 or 5C? Maybe, they still perform very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Blazer wrote: »
    I went from the 5s to the iphone 6 and I love it..definitely the bigger screen was a major factor in my decision to upgrade..if screen size had stayed the size I wouldn't have bothered and waited for the 6S.
    Also i frakking love that double tap the home button to bring the app/page halfway down the screen so you can still use the iphone one handed.
    This is the shít that Apple think about when they launch a product..how to make it as user friendly as possible.. Samsung? no doubt they'll copy it next time much like the 64bit cpu, the touch ID that they continue to make a complete arse off and yet they run ads slagging off Apple?..what a bunch of tossers..the only android phones I rate are the HTC versions and the Google nexus range.

But... but ... the video stops if you close your eyes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

makoten wrote: »
    If you have the 5S, there's really no need to replace with a iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, unless you prefer the bigger screens. The A7 chip in the 5S is still incredibly fast and iOS 8 offers most of the new features including Metal which is great for games.

If you own an iPhone 4 or 4S, then definitely upgrade.
    iPhone 5 or 5C? Maybe, they still perform very well.

Well that's it. I've had a 4s for 3 years now - i've been on a sim only plan for the last year. The phone owes me nothing at this stage. I'll probably upgrade in the new year.

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    oh will you ever just go off over to the android forum, you were the same in the other thread, we get it, you don't like iPhones

It would be worse if i wasn't of the same opinion in another thread. That would mean id be lying somewhere.

Also why do people on this forum keep on bringing Android into the conversation and then complain Android being brought into the conversation. Its stupid at this stage.

I literally directly answered the question which was posted by the OP. That being what the OP wanted i assume. Sorry it doesn't agree with your opinion.

Well that's it. I've had a 4s for 3 years now - i've been on a sim only plan for the last year. The phone owes me nothing at this stage. I'll probably upgrade in the new year.

Thats a big upgrade alright. Nows the time id say. Sell the 4s on DoneDeal. Rubberheads still pay 200 for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Perhaps. If you're getting it on a contract.

If however, you're not and you require any kind of storage, then absolutely not in my opinion. 900e for 128GB. :pac:

Xperia Z3 will be 650e on release and comes with an sd slot with a capacity of up to 128GB. Also it will have a bigger screen so you're getting more for your money that way.

I don't use much storage though and the 16GB 5s is fine for me for now.

I think the iPhone 6 definitely the most aesthetically pleasing phone though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Right since this thread is about whether it's worth it or not, it seems appropriate. I have to ask what was such a letdown about the 6 Plus? And what you were upgrading from too?

Throw in a smartpen, Optimized apps and a much better battery and they will be on Par with what's out there now. Apart form that its on Par with the Note 3 id say. All can and will be fixed in the 6Plus S or whatever hopefully.

But seeing as the Note 4 is out next week id say the 6Plus is already a generation or maybe even 2 behind if it doesn't get a smartpen together soon. Apart from the screen its nothing special or innovative.

Also why do people on this forum keep on bringing Android into the conversation and then complain Android being brought into the conversation. Its stupid at this stage.

Well there was no mention of android in this thread until you showed up. That's my point. This is a thread about upgrading from one iPhone to the next gen iPhone. What makes you think the OP's wants to hear about android, clearly they don't. Bring up android when it's appropriate to bring up android. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I've had four years with the iPhone 4 and got a free iP5C :) to continue contract ~ only downside is that useless 8GB memory :mad: ~ watch those offers, the memory is not always the same as launch time.

Well there was no mention of android in this thread until you showed up. That's my point. This is a thread about upgrading from one iPhone to the next gen iPhone. What makes you think the OP's wants to hear about android, clearly they don't. Bring up android when it's appropriate to bring up android. That's all I'm saying.

No. It's about whether or not the iPhone 6 is 'really worth it'.

So, it's natural comparisons will be drawn with what's out there and what's imminent.

SuperOito wrote: »
    No. It's about whether or not the iPhone 6 is 'really worth it'.

So, it's natural comparisons will be drawn with what's out there and what's imminent.

Well from reading the OP's post and not just the title of the thread..... They say they love iphone but not sure if they'll upgrade their 5s to the 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Sure you had.

Well from reading the OP's post and not just the title of the thread..... They say they love iphone but not sure if they'll upgrade their 5s to the 6

And as I said it's natural people will try and 'open their eyes' as to what else is out there just to give them options.

Anyway, I think it's good to have options unless you're a diehard who won't consider Android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Throw in a smartpen, Optimized apps and a much better battery and they will be on Par with what's out there now. Apart form that its on Par with the Note 3 id say. All can and will be fixed in the 6Plus S or whatever hopefully.

But seeing as the Note 4 is out next week id say the 6Plus is already a generation or maybe even 2 behind if it doesn't get a smartpen together soon. Apart from the screen its nothing special or innovative.

Android fans tend to get terribly excited about whatever gimmick android devices bring to the table. iPhone fans don't. That said I am sure that even the slow motion or auto focus in the camera are bigger sellers than a stylus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It would be worse if i wasn't of the same opinion in another thread. That would mean id be lying somewhere.

I literally directly answered the question which was posted by the OP. That being what the OP wanted i assume. Sorry it doesn't agree with your opinion.
    Thats a big upgrade alright. Nows the time id say. Sell the 4s on DoneDeal. Rubberheads still pay 200 for them.

Its when you post ignorant comments like this that shows your true colours.
    BTW, i had some rubberheads trying to buy my Galaxy S5 on Adverts last week for the same price as an iPhone 5S, go figure.

Horses for courses and all that.....

A smartpen, seriously....its a phone.

What's innovative about the Note 4? Honest question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They have priced it at the same as an iPhone 6 according to some reports.

kceire wrote: »
    They have priced it at the same as an iPhone 6 according to some reports.

Interesting.

I think if I wanted a huge screen I'd go for the 6 Plus. Then that kind of negates having a tablet (for me anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No,
    Its not it. Not even close.
    For the same money you can buy any number of far more useful, interesting and fully featured tech gadgets.
    You could build a decent PC, buy a great laptop/tablet etc etc.

And as I said it's natural people will try and 'open their eyes' as to what else is out there just to give them options.

Anyway, I think it's good to have options unless you're a diehard who won't consider Android.

I've both ;) iphone 5 and nexus 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Test2014 has deleted his account lol.

I don't, and have never seen the appeal of a stylus, even given the extra smart features on the Note. Fair enough about optimised apps, but they are coming. All the iOS apps are optimised bar one or two. Also I've heard battery life being two days with regular use, nothing bad there really compared to the Note.

I know some people would prefer the stylus, but you'd know that the iPhone lacked one before paying for it, I don't really understand why you returned yours. Lack of optimised apps and battery life? That couldn't be the reason, one is obviously something you need to wait on and the other is a non-exciting problem.

I don't see what the Note 4 offers in terms of being two generations ahead, only difference would be the stylus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah seriously, a smart pen? I'm sorry, 1997 called. It'd like its technology back. I'll grant you, if I wanted to create my own artistic masterpiece on my phone I might have need of a smartpen but I find that I don't usually use my phone for art projects. I've looked at the Note 4 with the S Pen and am really not convinced.

How about looking at things this way. If your phone needs a pen to make it work properly then maybe there's a problem with your phone? I've never had any quibbles with the touch interface on any of my iDevices and though I did buy a stylus for my iPad 1 at one stage for signatures, the thing has since gotten lost due to simply not being used.

If I wanted the absolute latest tech I'd probably buy and Android phone even though I couldn't do anything useful or practical with the tech. A friend of mine got a Nexus 4 with NFC two years ago and we had great fun for 30 minutes one day swiping our bank cards in front of it to see if it could recognize them. I'd confidently say that's the most use that NFC sensor ever got since. There's a realistic chance I'll be able to use my phone for ApplePay at several stages over the lifetime of my iPhone 6. How many Android users can say that?

In reply to the OP, if you hold out a while and get a good plan to allow you to upgrade to the 6 from the 4S then I'd definitely go for it. Don't go gaga and get locked into a shítty plan around launch just for the sake of an upgrade. The 4S is starting to get long in the tooth now so you'll definitely love the bigger screen size. I loved the move from 4 to 5 and the difference will be much more significant for you. There's also Touch ID and a much better camera as well. You also will get the M8 motion co-processor. The 5 doesn't have that either so I'm looking forward to getting much better activity data using that. In short you'll be getting a significant upgrade this time so why not go for it!

Advertisement