Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphones 6 really worth it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

ukoda wrote: »
    I've both ;) iphone 5 and nexus 5

I'm getting the Nexus 9 when it comes out...but keeping my iPhone.. I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

guil wrote: »
    Test2014 has deleted his account lol.

No he hasnt.

ukoda wrote: »
    Well there was no mention of android in this thread until you showed up. That's my point. This is a thread about upgrading from one iPhone to the next gen iPhone. What makes you think the OP's wants to hear about android, clearly they don't. Bring up android when it's appropriate to bring up android. That's all I'm saying.

So its my fault OTHER people are mentioning android. Thats all im saying.

Naturally its gonna be compared to other impending smartphone releases. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

test2014 wrote: »
    No he hasnt.

Care to answer the question?

guil wrote: »
    Care to answer the question?

What question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

What question?
    SuperOito wrote: »
    What's innovative about the Note 4? Honest question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No he hasnt.

You could read my post but not the post quoted in it?

More powerful. Screen optimized for productivity rather than just being a big phone like the 6Plus. Far superior apps for the large screen. Much better battery. Dont even have to think about storage space. Open Source OS. Wide open development platform.

800quid for 16gb and no expandable storage. Really? What year is it? Thats not pretentious at all. iCloud is no where near as good as Drive.

As already said. Itll take the 6Plus a Generation to Optimize their apps so why not go for the Note4 and then get a 7Plus or whatever.

This is the whole problem. People keep turning this into an Apple Vs.. whatever thread when im saying why are people afraid to just go with the best every year or generation. Thats what i did until this year when i said enough is enough and went back to the note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

One reason I stay with Apply iPhone is my apps, I've hundreds of Euro worth with some apps costing €25 or more like Weather 4D and Canon Remote Control.

To a lesser extent my music and music videos.

kceire wrote: »
    BTW, i had some rubberheads trying to buy my Galaxy S5 on Adverts last week for the same price as an iPhone 5S, go figure.

Horses for courses and all that.....

A smartpen, seriously....its a phone.

Which is a good thing. makes it easier to sell next year when something better comes out. Whats the problem? You say it like its a bad thing.

Its a Phablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

It's not always about the best tech Test2014. I's about the best tech that works. I haven't been impressed with Android so far to actually hand over money for an Android device. The build quality is, more often than not, crappy. The screens look like somebody threw up a packet of skittles. Once I do get my Android device, I'm stuck with whatever version of Android it's got until my provider gets their finger out of their ass to test and release a newer version. In time I'll just end up likely getting an upgrade of the OS when I upgrade the phone. I believe Google are trying to address this by, ironically, going down the Apple route of locking the phones down more and saying what phones can and can't support, though manufacturers are still free to produce their own kludges if they so wish. The only phones that have impressed me and that I thought came anywhere near to Apple build quality were the Nexus 4 and an HTC that looked like an Apple ripoff anyway.

After using Google Maps while on a trip away lately I found it to be only useful for it's backing data. Apple's mapping software is far superior but sadly lacks the data right now. Google Maps is a battery hog and I'd class it as dangerous. I'm partially sighted and aspects of the app are, quite simply, moronic. Making your current position the same colour and size as the path you're following for example. Using so much battery that if you get lost and really need it, you can be guaranteed it'll let you down. If this is the standard of software the makers of Android consider a showcase for the OS then I'm definitely out. I don't care if the phone can get up, walk to the kitchen and make me a cup of tea every morning all by itself. If the overall experience isn't integrated and good to use then no amount of money is worth switching.

squonk wrote: »
    Google Maps is a battery hog and I'd class it as dangerous. I'm partially sighted and aspects of the app are, quite simply, moronic. Making your current position the same colour and size as the path you're following for example. .

Firstly one is advised to use navigation apps plugged in, in fact some won't work unless plugged in ~ Google does though.

I wrote to Garmin complaining of the same thing, I've had a few frights following my path and coming to a main road in the countryside. I also wrote to Google complaining about small text and even smaller text as one actually enlarges a map to see and complained about the various language which are a real danger, I've told them that I'd PAY for an English only map of Ireland. :)

It's not always about the best tech Test2014. I's about the best tech that works. I haven't been impressed with Android so far to actually hand over money for an Android device. The build quality is, more often than not, crappy. The screens look like somebody threw up a packet of skittles. Once I do get my Android device, I'm stuck with whatever version of Android it's got until my provider gets their finger out of their ass to test and release a newer version. In time I'll just end up likely getting an upgrade of the OS when I upgrade the phone. I believe Google are trying to address this by, ironically, going down the Apple route of locking the phones down more and saying what phones can and can't support, though manufacturers are still free to produce their own kludges if they so wish. The only phones that have impressed me and that I thought came anywhere near to Apple build quality were the Nexus 4 and an HTC that looked like an Apple ripoff anyway.

After using Google Maps while on a trip away lately I found it to be only useful for it's backing data. Apple's mapping software is far superior but sadly lacks the data right now. Google Maps is a battery hog and I'd class it as dangerous. I'm partially sighted and aspects of the app are, quite simply, moronic. Making your current position the same colour and size as the path you're following for example. Using so much battery that if you get lost and really need it, you can be guaranteed it'll let you down. If this is the standard of software the makers of Android consider a showcase for the OS then I'm definitely out. I don't care if the phone can get up, walk to the kitchen and make me a cup of tea every morning all by itself. If the overall experience isn't integrated and good to use then no amount of money is worth switching.

Yeah why not just plug it in if whatever device you where using had a low battery. That makes no sense whatsoever. So your battery was dying and rather than just plug it in you sat their whinging about the Phone rather than take out your Everlasting battery iPhone with better GPS apparently or plug it in.

Thats you just being silly to be honest. Nothing to do with what phone you where using.

Also most phones have a removable battery so you can bring multiple batteries if your that worried and cant charge. No chance of that with the iPhone but lets not mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Bit presumptuous isn't it to say the Note 4 is more powerful and has better battery life?
    Those figures aren't widely tested yet.
    The comparisons to the Note 3 suggest the 6+ is more powerful and has better battery life, and the Note 4 is just a minor spec bump with a more power hungry screen and the same size battery.

Plus the Note has the disadvantage of running Android.
    I have parted with cash for an Android flagship, Xperia Z1 when it came out.
    I was moving from an iPhone 4 having previously had a HTC Hero.
    Surely they must have ironed out the bugs by now and created a stable OS I thought.
    At least I was able to sell it on, albeit for almost half the price, after 5 months.

Ohh and as a current 5S owner I think I'll be waiting for the 6S.

dloob wrote: »
    Bit presumptuous isn't it to say the Note 4 is more powerful and has better battery life?
    Those figures aren't widely tested yet.
    The comparisons to the Note 3 suggest the 6+ is more powerful and has better battery life, and the Note 4 is just a minor spec bump with a more power hungry screen and the same size battery.

Plus the Note has the disadvantage of running Android.
    I have parted with cash for an Android flagship, Xperia Z1 when it came out.
    I was moving from an iPhone 4 having previously had a HTC Hero.
    Surely they must have ironed out the bugs by now and created a stable OS I thought.
    At least I was able to sell it on, albeit for almost half the price, after 5 months.

Ohh and as a current 5S owner I think I'll be waiting for the 6S.

I have a Note 3 and had a 6Plus and the battery is better on the Note3 for what i use it for so i assume im right to assume the Note4 will be improved with a new generation Krait processor.

Also its good that someone agrees with me. However the problem is id rather buy a phone now so ill be jumping to Note 4 and then wait and see what the 6Plus S is like. People seem to have major problems with that.

Yeah why not just plug it in if whatever device you where using had a low battery. That makes no sense whatsoever. So your battery was dying and rather than just plug it in you sat their whinging about the Phone rather than take out your Everlasting battery iPhone with better GPS apparently or plug it in.

Thats you just being silly to be honest. Nothing to do with what phone you where using.

Also most phones have a removable battery so you can bring multiple batteries if your that worried and cant charge. No chance of that with the iPhone but lets not mention that.

Do you think that maybe he wasn't sitting next to a plug?
    Probably not much call to use maps when sat next to plug really.

Honestly in almost 20 years of mobile phone ownership I have never once changed a battery or even owned a second battery.
    Why do people keep talking about removable batteries like its common for people to have multiple batteries.
    I'd say most of the people going on about removable batteries don't even own a second battery for their phone.

I do have a 10,000 mah external battery than can recharge the 5S fully 4 times, its smaller but thicker then the 5s and can also recharge other peoples phones or other devices, even 2 at a time, much handier than a removable battery that works with only one type of device.

dloob wrote: »
    Do you think that maybe he wasn't sitting next to a plug?
    Probably not much call to use maps when sat next to plug really.

Car charger Obviously!

I wasn't sitting next to a plug! dlob put it perfectly. I wouldn't need to use maps if I was next to a plug! Instead I was out and about on holidays, finding my way around an unfamiliar city. Any time I've had removable batteries back in my Nokia days they invariably came loose over time and led to phone instability. In any case I never bought secondary batteries. I should buy a power pack but 99% of the time I don't need it. It is a better solution though than a second battery. Really though I'd rather if Google actually used their own apps. They seem to just release something and assume it's brilliant and their attention gets sidetracked by some shiny new tech they have to try. I'd expect an app that has been available for almost 2 years on the App Store to have addressed issues like usability and battery life by now. The fact they haven't just sucks. If they want to woo IOS users then they need to be making a better impression and the current state of the maps app is an excellent reason to not go near Android.

Car charger Obviously!

Touché sir

Car charger Obviously!

I was on foot. People still walk you know! Not much point in Google doing walking directions if they don't expect users to actually walk somewhere now is there?

• Advertisement

On a general note all or almost all navigation devices will allow walking, it's a subject in itself some devices are better than others in warning of the time and some cut functions and activate battery saving mode, but that too just exacerbates the experience, IMO, so I accept the one hour walking option on most devices across the OS/Device spectrum.

I wasn't sitting next to a plug! dlob put it perfectly. I wouldn't need to use maps if I was next to a plug! Instead I was out and about on holidays, finding my way around an unfamiliar city. Any time I've had removable batteries back in my Nokia days they invariably came loose over time and led to phone instability. In any case I never bought secondary batteries. I should buy a power pack but 99% of the time I don't need it. It is a better solution though than a second battery. Really though I'd rather if Google actually used their own apps. They seem to just release something and assume it's brilliant and their attention gets sidetracked by some shiny new tech they have to try. I'd expect an app that has been available for almost 2 years on the App Store to have addressed issues like usability and battery life by now. The fact they haven't just sucks. If they want to woo IOS users then they need to be making a better impression and the current state of the maps app is an excellent reason to not go near Android.

Still dont get your logical argument on why the GPS is better on iOS. GPS eats battery on any Hardware.

By comparison Apple Maps is much less heavy on GPS when in use. That's essentially what I'm saying.

At the end of the day it's just more of the same though. You can't really defend the fact that Google's maps application is crap in terms of it's user experience. Since the same application exists on Android it doesn't say much for the OS. Having used Android n friend's devices, the same crap usability flows right through the OS. Google seem to think they're dealing with nerds like themselves when they design their UIs. Most people aren't nerds and don't end up delving into the large array of menus and settings offered in Android. IOS is laid out far better and much more useable as a result though I'm certain as well that a lot of users won't venture beyond wallpaper and sound settings. Still, when you do it's not that confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

Still dont get your logical argument on why the GPS is better on iOS. GPS eats battery on any Hardware.

Ya I actually find Google Maps pretty ok on battery to be honest. I've been using it extensively while traveling lately. When in a car I've a car charger so battery isn't problem and when walking you just have to be smart with it. Nobody walks at a 100mph so just look at the map, count your streets and blocks and close off the app. Every couple of mins just open it up to check as a reference. This is if you're stuck for battery which I've been on plenty occasions and always found it pretty good.

I do take the point of the route being in blue and then the present position also being a blue blob. That is a bit stupid, you can barely see where you are. That could be corrected alrite but wouldn't be enough to turn me off it completely, it's very good at finding places with less than perfect addresses.

By comparison Apple Maps is much less heavy on GPS when in use. That's essentially what I'm saying.

You might have a point, I could not use Apple Maps on my iPhone 4/iSO7 3G Three Network.

I just tried them for a five minute walk on my [new] iPhone 5C/iOS8 4G Three Network and they are lovely, brilliant, all English names too by the looks of it.

I will test in the coming weeks, but it looks like I can delete Google Maps, which despite a few really annoying features, had still worked better.

SuperO'B wrote: »
    it's very good at finding places with less than perfect addresses.
    A top selling point, it will find houses too by NAME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What's the paint on the edge like.
    I have a 5 in a case from day 1 and there's still loads of chips on the edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Well that's it. I've had a 4s for 3 years now - i've been on a sim only plan for the last year. The phone owes me nothing at this stage. I'll probably upgrade in the new year.

I'm in the same boat - had my 4S since it launched, considering selling it now and getting a 5S but would it be worth it? On the fence atm.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - had my 4S since it launched, considering selling it now and getting a 5S but would it be worth it? On the fence atm.

From my jump from the 4 to the 5C, the 5S would have been extreme. If I had this week back again, I'd have paid the €100 for the 5S on contract or even a bargain at €135 on most networks at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Are people really still believing that test2014 was so enthralled by the iPhone that he took himself up to Belfast from Waterford a week before the official release, but decided it was not as good as the unreleased Note 4, or even as good as the Note 3 ( whatever they are) and had to get rid of it? Or could it be he is an Anrdoid troll.

Posted from my 3 year old iPhone 4S which will be updated to the 6 when I am good and ready.

Advertisement