Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphones 6 really worth it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

squonk wrote: »
    By comparison Apple Maps is much less heavy on GPS when in use. That's essentially what I'm saying.

At the end of the day it's just more of the same though. You can't really defend the fact that Google's maps application is crap in terms of it's user experience. Since the same application exists on Android it doesn't say much for the OS. Having used Android n friend's devices, the same crap usability flows right through the OS. Google seem to think they're dealing with nerds like themselves when they design their UIs. Most people aren't nerds and don't end up delving into the large array of menus and settings offered in Android. IOS is laid out far better and much more useable as a result though I'm certain as well that a lot of users won't venture beyond wallpaper and sound settings. Still, when you do it's not that confusing.

Funnily enough i think the opposite. GPS on a Note3 uses far less battery than the 6Plus and the apps are far more suited to the big screen.

Apple didnt even try and optimize the big screen. They only released it as a bigger version of a small phone.

You're just repeating the usual Apple nonsense with no facts to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Iphones 6 really worth it ?

Yes! Yes it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Blazer wrote: »
    This is the shít that Apple think about when they launch a product..how to make it as user friendly as possible.. Samsung? no doubt they'll copy it next time much like the 64bit cpu,

Samsung already copied one handed screen resizing when they released the S5 6 months ago :cool:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-your-galaxy-s5-better-one-handed-use

As for bringing out a 64bit cpu. How would that be copying Apple? What's the benefit of a 64bit CPU on a 1Gb phone?

And to go back on topic I'd say it is worth the upgrade if you're on a plan. You can sell the old one for a reasonable chunk of change to subsidise it.
    Much nicer screen (in my opinion) sizewise than the 5S and faster than the previous generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Just my two cents for balance...

I'd been an iphone user since 2007 and last year I bought a sealed Samsung S3 off adverts to try for a few months. I felt ios was stale and limited - which I still believe it was.

Although there were things I liked about the S3, I had a rough few months with it. Cheap feeling and cheap inside...plus that awful touchwiz interface.

So I rooted it and put on cyanogenmod. I liked it at first but then the SD card kept unmounting and the audio would keep disappearing. I then flashed revolution HD but the camera (which was crap anyway) kept crashing when selected. I eventually went back to factory touchwiz firmware, which is very poor, and within a few months it died. 'nand write start error'.

Apple are expensive sure but most people on the street aren't interested in the things that android manufacturers are touting - smart pens, octo-core processors, 512 pixels per square inch.

People aren't as stupid as some like to assume. The old adage - 'Its all marketing, people will buy anything from apple' doesn't apply to most people as I see it.

I think most people are happy to pay a bit extra to have a greater library of apps, stable OS, better build quality and a phone that will comfortably last 3 years +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - had my 4S since it launched, considering selling it now and getting a 5S but would it be worth it? On the fence atm.

I'd only do it if the phone was giving you trouble.

• Advertisement

Are people really still believing that test2014 was so enthralled by the iPhone that he took himself up to Belfast from Waterford a week before the official release, but decided it was not as good as the unreleased Note 4, or even as good as the Note 3 ( whatever they are) and had to get rid of it? Or could it be he is an Anrdoid troll.

Posted from my 3 year old iPhone 4S which will be updated to the 6 when I am good and ready.

No facts Frank is back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is it really worth all that extra cash seriously ? I have the 5s and to pay an extra 3 4 hundred quid for what ? Slightly better cam slightly bigger phone, the apple pay is really cool to me but sure when will all our stores and stuff have that in to make it any use.. The prediction text is rubbish imo you have to type to the last letter to get your word

I love iphone but dont think this upgrade is worth all the cash anless your quite flush with cash :)

It depends what you are upgrading from. As you have a 5s, no, it’s probably not worth it as this is a “tick” year, meaning you are mostly paying for the redesign. Internally (still only 1GB of RAM) and in terms of software this isn’t a big year. Next year will bring performance improvements and major new software features, which will add up a more significant upgrade for 5s users.

Apple don’t expect you to buy a new iPhone every year, more like every 2 years, though many people get far longer out of their iPhones.

4s to a 6 would be a nice upgrade. 4s to a 5 not so much unless getting a really good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

test2014 wrote: »
    4s to a 6 would be a nice upgrade. 4s to a 5 not so much unless getting a really good deal.

No trouble at all, think I'll hang onto it for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

timetogo wrote: »

As for bringing out a 64bit cpu. How would that be copying Apple? What's the benefit of a 64bit CPU on a 1Gb phone?

ARM v8, the 64bit ISA, brings more registers and a redesigned more efficient instruction set.
    It's not all about the memory addressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

More powerful. Screen optimized for productivity rather than just being a big phone like the 6Plus. Far superior apps for the large screen. Much better battery. Dont even have to think about storage space. Open Source OS. Wide open development platform.

800quid for 16gb and no expandable storage. Really? What year is it? Thats not pretentious at all. iCloud is no where near as good as Drive.

As already said. Itll take the 6Plus a Generation to Optimize their apps so why not go for the Note4 and then get a 7Plus or whatever.

This is the whole problem. People keep turning this into an Apple Vs.. whatever thread when im saying why are people afraid to just go with the best every year or generation. Thats what i did until this year when i said enough is enough and went back to the note.

Most of those points, if not all, are not about innovation.

Making something more powerful or adding storage doesn't require innovation. Cramming in more RAM or storage can be pointless unless proper use is made of it. Gillette continue to add blades to their razors; that isn't innovation. Apple have less RAM and storage than other devices, sure. But generally, they get more from it than others do by marrying hardware with their optimised software, which is innovative.

Personal preference is fine. You're confusing that with innovation and saying everyone should want what you do. That might be where you're rubbing people up the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Is it really worth all that extra cash seriously ? I have the 5s and to pay an extra 3 4 hundred quid for what ? Slightly better cam slightly bigger phone, the apple pay is really cool to me but sure when will all our stores and stuff have that in to make it any use.. The prediction text is rubbish imo you have to type to the last letter to get your word

I love iphone but dont think this upgrade is worth all the cash anless your quite flush with cash :)

Yes! And I'm not flush with cash. This is the first time I bought a new iPhone, usually got an unwanted upgrade on Adverts, some months later. This time I sold my 5 for 335, put the 6 on my cc (worked out 708 euros) so I'm left with 373 to pay by Nov 10th (next cc bill) I'm off the booze and would easily drop 60-80 on a night out so for me it was a no brainer. Imagine paying up front for a year's supply of smokes or pints? The 6 works out a something like 2 and a half pints a week for a year. Think of that the next time you order the last round...

It's an astonishing phone, anyone having seconds thoughts, scrap them. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've been on Android for the last three years after originally being on iPhone before that. I'm moving back to iPhone now and getting the 6 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

SuperOito wrote: »
    No. It's about whether or not the iPhone 6 is 'really worth it'.

So, it's natural comparisons will be drawn with what's out there and what's imminent.

For me, the question was never "iPhone 6/+ or other upgrade?", it was "Upgrade to the 6 this year, or wait for the 6S?"

Between the speed and ease of upgrading within the same OS and how much money I've invested into the Apple ecosystem, it'd take a hardware miracle from someone else to get me to switch. Apple would have to drop the ball badly to push me to change OSs, and that's less about what other companies are doing and more about things wrong with the product itself.

I'm all in favour of multiple options on the market pushing manufacturers to make their best effort, and plenty of people love other OSs, so obviously they have positives and appeal. Not arguing otherwise. I do want to make the point that for some people (possibly a lot of people), "what [else] is out there" has no bearing on whether someone intends to upgrade from their current iPhone, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

lm01 wrote: »
    it'd take a hardware miracle from someone else to get me to switch.

For me, that miracle was the iPhone 3G ~ I already had more than the iPhone had offered on it's first launch, I had already played around with several OS's and I already had touch screen not just a stylus, so I was way ahead of Apple and the iPhone and had 3G as well. And had paid thousands of Pounds and Euro.

I got my first iPhone 3G I think 8 years ago this month, and whilst phones were already well ahead of the iPhone, I don't think any of them would have advanced in the way they did without it.

Surprisingly suddenly the iPhone was the phone to match, your old phone already had Internet, Data, Touch Screen, Office but the iPhone 3G was so stylish and polished that it effectively ended a market.

Now, all phones follow the iPhone, there are still a few features to be added to the Apple product but I think they are running out of features now anyway, the iPhone needs underwater proof and shock proof to be added and that's about the end of the line, another 4 ~ 6 years and we need a new revolution ~ the iPhone was some journey, it wasn't the first, it wasn't the best but it had that touch of magic that was so alien but so intuitive it changed people.

So I get where you are coming from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Personally they are mad money i have never took to apple well and hardly used an iphone as a daily driver but im going for the 6 plus this time.I have a 4s and 5 just dont use em due to screen size...

Two questions about this and iOS 8
    Can you use personalised tones for multiple email accounts,sms,twitter i remember last time i used an iphone for a day i could not do this it was locked,ive multiple accounts and i have no issue on android to do what i want in this respect.

And uploading tones is tru itunes i guess ,again ive many tones saved that i currently used. Im going to give apple a go now for a while and see if it can take me from android and windows which is flexible in customising tones which is a must have for me...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You can have different tones for different notifications, with the exception of different email accounts.

Apple make it tricky to get new sounds in there as ringtones, but if you have the MP3 there's an unofficial process you can follow to create and rename a file and add it in iTunes as a tone.

Dades wrote: »
    You can have different tones for different notifications, with the exception of different email accounts.

Apple make it tricky to get new sounds in there as ringtones, but if you have the MP3 there's an unofficial process you can follow to create and rename a file and add it in iTunes as a tone.

Ah so not much has changed,as i have several emails for things i find it handy to have separate tones so i know which account they come from,im sure you understand my point.

I am not into jailbreaking the phone but any help to have the option to use my own tones is greatly appreciated ,i thought there would have been apps to get around this little gripe i have..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Possibly there's third party email apps that offer this feature. I'm only referring to the iOS mail app. And of course you don't want to have to have a different app for each account...

Dades wrote: »
    Possibly there's third party email apps that offer this feature. I'm only referring to the iOS mail app. And of course you don't want to have to have a different app for each account...

I've three Gmail and one yahoo,and one Microsoft, will be phasing out the yahoo. So it's email, Twitter and SMS notifications I want to change to MY tones.

There is an app on Android that can do this, I places the tones into the stock folder on Android.

Suppose I can get use to it if I can't work around them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Ah so not much has changed,as i have several emails for things i find it handy to have separate tones so i know which account they come from,im sure you understand my point.

I am not into jailbreaking the phone but any help to have the option to use my own tones is greatly appreciated ,i thought there would have been apps to get around this little gripe i have..

I have my own tones and did not jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've three Gmail and one yahoo,and one Microsoft, will be phasing out the yahoo. So it's email, Twitter and SMS notifications I want to change to MY tones.

There is an app on Android that can do this, I places the tones into the stock folder on Android.

Suppose I can get use to it if I can't work around them all.

If you were to use the gmail app for gmail, and then the stock app for outlook, then you could separate the tones. Maybe the gmail app offers different tones for multiple accounts but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Wow it's crazy how different ppl have such different needs. My phone stays on silent (sometimes vibrate) 99% the time!

Wow it's crazy how different ppl have such different needs. My phone stays on silent (sometimes vibrate) 99% the time!
    Oh believe me I'd rather that but can't with business.

blade1 wrote: »
    I have my own tones and did not jailbreak.
    So whatever I sync to iTunes can be selected across all notifications for mails social media etc etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So whatever I sync to iTunes can be selected across all notifications for mails social media etc etc..

Yes, as long as you have the song/tone in you're iTunes library.
    Then put it on your phone.
    You can then use a ringtone app to make the song into a tone.
    Then put it back on iTunes under tones.

Then when u sync your phone it goes in under tones,which u can use for whatever u want.
    A bit of a rigmarole but it does work.

blade1 wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you have the song/tone in you're iTunes library.
    Then put it on your phone.
    You can then use a ringtone app to make the song into a tone.
    Then put it back on iTunes under tones.

Then when u sync your phone it goes in under tones,which u can use for whatever u want.
    A bit of a rigmarole but it does work.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Same here I had actually forgot what ringtone and message tone I had it went so long being on silent. With the likes of what's app and viber going off all day I had to turn off the tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Its ok, an Android phone sensed my tears and vibrated until i has happy again. I'm gone off iPhone now to be honest.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I suppose ye are all aware of the bendy 6 Plus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM A case I guess would sort it out.

Advertisement