Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphones 6 really worth it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I suppose ye are all aware of the bendy 6 Plus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM A case I guess would sort it out.

Not really good enough for a phone that people (in some cases) are shelling out almost a grand for.

I never use cases with phones - takes away from the aesthetics I think. Luckily, I've never broken one either!

I'm leaning towards a 6 plus (that will change again no doubt), but this has put me off a bit.

I saw a video of a guy on Gizmodo who was easily able to bend it with his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

SuperOito wrote: »
    Not really good enough for a phone that people (in some cases) are shelling out almost a grand for.

I never use cases with phones - takes away from the aesthetics I think. Luckily, I've never broken one either!

I'm leaning towards a 6 plus (that will change again no doubt), but this has put me off a bit.

I saw a video of a guy on Gizmodo who was easily able to bend it with his hands.

Are you serious? He actually bent aluminium with his bare hands? Shock horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

naasrd wrote: »

So you think its alright to make a phone out of a material that bends and warps out of shape in your pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

HTC One is made of metal, had one for a year and never bent in my pocket. The made of aluminium argument is a really bad one getting thrown around.

Its not the issue that it bends, the issue is that it stays bent.

• Advertisement

OK. Let me dumb it down for you.

It's a phone. No doubt it will spend time in people's pockets. It seems spending time in pockets is causing it to become bent out of shape. Not good enough for any device, let alone one that costs so much.

He was EASILY able to distort its form using his hands. Not so easy with say, the iPhone 5s, which appears now, to have a better build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Patww79 wrote: »

Its probably a bit blown out of proporation, there was a few claims about pocket bending and then that guy made the video

Theres always stuff like this after a launch and it dies down after a week or 2

so the facts we currently have are......
    • a few people have claimed its bent in their pocket
    • a guy on youtube who delibrately set out to bend it acheived his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Over the years there has always been claims about the phone. One was someone had just got the iphone 4 when released and dropped it on soft carpet from a small height and the phone smashed. I've dropped my iPhone's on concrete and they have been fine. I broke one screen over 5 years with no protection on it due to it dropping from an excessive height alright but on average it takes the fall pretty well. I have mates with all kinds of android phones that have smashed but a big deal was never made of it.

The bending is a little worrying but surely if this becomes a common flaw and it happens you you'll be entitled to a refund or for the issue to be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Am I the only that thinks the bending and the screen didn't crack,a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Find this strange.

Complaining that a product will bend after pressure being applied is akin to complaining that a car will be damaged after hitting an object.

Surely common sense needs to prevail here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

murpho999 wrote: »
    Find this strange.

Complaining that a product will bend after pressure being applied is akin to complaining that a car will be damaged after hitting an object.

I think the issue is that it stays bent out of shape. I could be wrong but I think the Note bent under pressure but didn't stay bent out of shape? Maybe someone else can confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Find this strange.

Not really. Saying a product will bend in scenarios where it shouldn't bend is not the same thing.

If other phones of the same size don't bend under the same conditions then it's a problem.

But the iPhone 6 Plus is too big for trouser pockets in my opinion so we need somebody (rich) to compare against something like the Galaxy Note 3 / 4 to see if they bend under the same conditions. I won't be experimenting with my phone :)
    You can't really tell how much force the guy was using in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

symbolic wrote: »
    I think the issue is that it stays bent out of shape. I could be wrong but I think the Note bent under pressure but didn't stay bent out of shape? Maybe someone else can confirm.

I watched the videos the guy put up. He applied a small bit of pressure to the iphone and it warped quite badly and stayed that way. He put all his strength into bending the note 3 and it retained its shape.

timetogo wrote: »
    Not really. Saying a product will bend in scenarios where it shouldn't bend is not the same thing.

If other phones of the same size don't bend under the same conditions then it's a problem.

But the iPhone 6 Plus is too big for trouser pockets in my opinion so we need somebody (rich) to compare against something like the Galaxy Note 3 / 4 to see if they bend under the same conditions. I won't be experimenting with my phone :)

I have the Note 2 and it's always in my pocket, since it was released, and it's fine. I'm sure if I applied force to it it would bend, but would flex back. Different materials though. The Note 2 is all plastic I presume? So it bends and creaks!!

I watched the videos the guy put up. He applied a small bit of pressure to the iphone and it warped quite badly and stayed that way. He put all his strength into bending the note 3 and it retained its shape.

Ah ok. I thought it bent but bent back. I presume apple will make a statement on it. As I see it on Engadget today, I'm sure it's not going to just go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Find this strange..

It's how easily it bends it's not necessarily subjected to excessive force, there is a weakness in the design which facilitates this on a larger and thinner device.

They have probably under engineered this device based on previous experiences which has held up well to extreme forces but it's probably a case of one design too many and it could all hinge on them having switched position of the on off button.

IHS have released teardown thoughts :

"It costs Apple about $200 to make an iPhone 6 smartphone with 16 gigabytes of storage, with the price of materials and manufacturing rising to roughly $216 for the larger iPhone 6 Plus, according to a new teardown of the devices from researcher IHS." from CNET
    http://www.cnet.com/news/costing-200-to-make-the-iphone-6-should-offer-big-profits-for-apple/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

SuperOito wrote: »

I wouldn't be relying on Gizmodo for any reliable info on anything Apple related, they do have a serious axe to grind.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be relying on Gizmodo for any reliable info on anything Apple related, they do have a serious axe to grind.

Bit like the Verge then but the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

McGrath5 wrote: »

Why so? Just curious to why you think they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Why so? Just curious to why you think they are.

He'd be referring to the big stolen iPhone case from a couple of years back which Gizmodo was involved in.

Edit - haha, reading that, it looks like an iPhone case was stolen. I guess it should read "the case of the stolen iPhone".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have forgiven Gizmodo. Totally different crowd there now. Brian Lam, who famously tried to extort Steve Jobs over the stolen iPhone they acquired, even got an invite to the event this year. Cook’s is a new Apple. Jobs is probably rolling in his grave though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

What have people been selling their 5s for if they had one? I've a 32gb Silver 5s in perfect condition. What would I be looking at getting for it. Want the 6+ but cant pay what I paid for the 5s as I can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

stuba wrote: »
    What have people been selling their 5s for if they had one? I've a 32gb Silver 5s in perfect condition. What would I be looking at getting for it. Want the 6+ but cant pay what I paid for the 5s as I can't afford it.

There's people looking for up to around €500.
    There's no way I'd pay that kind of money for a used phone.
    Probably around €300

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd have thought you'd get more than €300 for a mint 32GB 5S, tbh. Maybe €350.

Stick it on Adverts starting high and see what you're offered over a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

stuba wrote: »

Depends on the condition and how old it is.

I bought a 16GB 5s for 370 a few months ago! Only 4 months old. Networked locked though, but to the one I'm on.

Bargain I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

You should get 400 or more even for a mint condition 5s. I sold a mint 5 16gb for 310 yesterday to give you an idea of prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blade1 wrote: »
    There's people looking for up to around €500.
    There's no way I'd pay that kind of money for a used phone.
    Probably around €300

I sold my factory unlocked white 32gb 5 on adverts for €375 quite comfortably at that price.

Advertisement