Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAG scanning Dublin West

• 22-09-2014 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you not download the software, get the cable and do it yourself?

Even in miserly alfa world this is an option (and alfa would charge you for a breath of fresh air :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm in kildare Pat if you drive as far as Naas or Newbridge some evening i can meet you and scan it for you no hassles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

i bought a cheap odbii2 bluetooth adapter from ebay. Cost about a tenner delivered... plugs into the cars socket and using an app on the phone i can scan for fault codes.. probably not as extensive as the laptop software but works..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

if not a dealer or someone with a Bosch system, you want someone with a VCDS license (www.ross-tech.com) to do a scan for you.

the obdII readers only pull a very small set of generic codes (13 major areas iirc), and while have their uses, they are not that comprehensive

t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I've vcds and can scan it for you, Swords area.

Patww79 wrote: »

There will be no difference in the results you get if one of us scans the car with vcds, some indy garages may only have generic code readers which will give less info.

2400 posts here not enough for you lol.
    I've scanned many a car and have yet to steal one...it could be you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Neil is sound out in fairness it's Tossy that's the dodgy one...:pac:

In fairness op Neil or Tossy will know a hell of a lot more about VCDS than a Independent garage unless it's George Dalton in Portlaoise.

No I am sure George will give you a print out..

I'm surprised nobody suggested you go to the Coombe giving the thread title. .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Members helping other members out Pat is what forums are all about, bit disappointed that you'd think members with thousands of posts and years and years of forum participation would be out to do anything other than help you out . In principal i'd be more weary of people offering via PM (not knowing who these people were of course) were they mentioning a fee?

Myself and Neil only offered to save you a few quid,any main dealer is going to charge you at least 80/90e for the privilege of scanning your car, they are not going to allow you sit in on the scanning process or talk you through what's happening. As Neil said most indys will only have generic scanners (there are good and bad ones) most will only give generic codes.

I've heard of internet scams but never heard of the scan scam lol only joking - relax :D

George will see you right either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Dealers and Indys", eh? As opposed to a bunch of Internet weirdos! :):):)

I'm reminded of these last few lines from the Marine's Hymn:

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By United States Marines.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement