Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nera harrasement

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Lately NERA have been coming into where i work asking about our working conditions, rate of pay etc! Its starting to feel like harrasment! We have told her that we are all very happy with out conditions and pay etc but she has been in about 3 times in the last few month. Have they the right to do this? And ask about our pay etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You don't have to speak to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

Dont they only come in if a complaint has been made???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Dont they only come in if a complaint has been made???

No they can call to a business because of the industry it's in, the location of the business or just random. Most places I have seen get NERA inspections are places with a number of non-Irish national working in it or places where employees are generally paid in cash (small shops, pubs, restaurants).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Actually, NERA inspectors carry a warrant. I saw it, so assume this gives them the right to enter where they wish. I know, I had an inspection. And it doesn't matter if your staff are happy enough, Nera's job is to enforce rules.

I was paying staff the general rate and they informed me there was a specially agreed rate for retail. They accepted it was a common mistake to make but insisted I pay back money to all affected staff.

Even though it was the height of the recession with massive job losses, they insisted. Then it went to their office in Carlow to be checked.

It resulted in several staff being let go as it was not viable to employ them :mad:

By enforcing the letter of the law, they got the staff let go.

Poxy country, you couldnt make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Actually, NERA inspectors carry a warrant. I saw it, so assume this gives them the right to enter where they wish. I know, I had an inspection. And it doesn't matter if your staff are happy enough, Nera's job is to enforce rules.

I was paying staff the general rate and they informed me there was a specially agreed rate for retail. They accepted it was a common mistake to make but insisted I pay back money to all affected staff.

Even though it was the height of the recession with massive job losses, they insisted. Then it went to their office in Carlow to be checked.

It resulted in several staff being let go as it was not viable to employ them :mad:

By enforcing the letter of the law, they got the staff let go.

Poxy country, you couldnt make it up.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

According to their website, those law enforcing those rates has been struck down...

http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/What_You_Should_Know/Wages_and_Methods_of_Payments/

There is a tab for certain sectors
    The Irish Supreme Court on 9th May 2013 declared that "the provisions of Part III of the Industrial Relations Act 1946 are invalid having regard to the provisions of Article 15.2.1 of the Constitution of Ireland". The judgement has the effect of striking down Registered Employment Agreements put in place under the 1946 Industrial Relations Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

According to their website, those law enforcing those rates has been struck down...

http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/What_You_Should_Know/Wages_and_Methods_of_Payments/

There is a tab for certain sectors

Yep, thats the one. This was a few years back before the law was struck down.

And I am deadly serious, it really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

They are the worst shower to deal with. We had 17 inspection in a 6 month period ( multiple sites ) and in the first 3 inspections there was minor issues relating to spousal visas that had not been renewed.

We let 14 people go as their visas weren't valid. This was on NERA recomondation. All were back working for us within 4 weeks once the visas were renewed.

We thought this was the end of it but no. Summons arrived with 67 charges relating to people we didn't even know, including someone who was a customer. There were two criminal charges personally against the directors. We went to court and plead guilty on 17 charges relating to spousal visas and associated record keeping. As the other charges were getting struck out one by one the judge's patience seemed to be wearing thin. We were given a token fine in our view but two weeks ago the inspections started again.
    There is one woman in perticular who has it out for us, but when she was on the stand she made a show of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

They are the worst shower to deal with. We had 17 inspection in a 6 month period ( multiple sites ) and in the first 3 inspections there was minor issues relating to spousal visas that had not been renewed.

We let 14 people go as their visas weren't valid. This was on NERA recomondation. All were back working for us within 4 weeks once the visas were renewed.

We thought this was the end of it but no. Summons arrived with 67 charges relating to people we didn't even know, including someone who was a customer. There were two criminal charges personally against the directors. We went to court and plead guilty on 17 charges relating to spousal visas and associated record keeping. As the other charges were getting struck out one by one the judge's patience seemed to be wearing thin. We were given a token fine in our view but two weeks ago the inspections started again.
    There is one woman in perticular who has it out for us, but when she was on the stand she made a show of herse

So you had irregularities in relation to 14 employees, pleaded guilty to 17 charges and its NERA that are in the wrong?

Advertisement