Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Dell Optiplex 755

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I wanted to upgrade my dell optiplex 755 to play some undemanding games in 720p like half life, Total war, rust. , I want to add a r7 240 and change the processor to an e8400 @ 3.00ghz. Will that processor be compatible with the pc and will the psu be enough for these upgrades.
    The pc is desktop form factor. Thanks (btw I have an xbox so dont need/want to build pc to play games like battlefield ect..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The best thing to do regarding processor upgrades is to get your motherboard make and model and check the manufacturers website for supported processors. You should be able to get your motherboard model by using a tool such as Speccy or CPU-Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The best thing to do regarding processor upgrades is to get your motherboard make and model and check the manufacturers website for supported processors. You should be able to get your motherboard model by using a tool such as Speccy or CPU-Z.

It doesn't quite work like that for Dell's as the board will be a Dell board. So you have to look at the spec for Dell 755.

The Dell 755 will run with a 8400, but you need to have matching ram. 1333 etc. What case size will tell you what PSU you have.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_755_techspecs.pdf

I had a E8400 system before I was quite impressed with how speedy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ck12345

Thanks, do you think I will need to upgrade psu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Get a GTX750, €100 and a fantastic card that doesn't require much power at all.

E8400 is fairly long in the tooth but it's still surprisingly decent for most (but not all) single player games. The games you've mentioned though are grand and will definitely run fine on the E8400.

I had a 755 with an E8500 and a 7750, it ran Battlefield 3, Bioshock Infinite, Black Ops 2 and a few others at high settings on single player pretty well.

If you can't stretch for a GTX750, at least get an R7 250. The 240 is a rubbish performer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't know what you mean by deskop. Is it a mini tower or the flat desktop or the small form factor.

https://www.coloradocomputerdoctors.com/content/uploads/product/755%20Optiplex%20All%20Sizes.jpeg

The biggest one has a 305w psu. The rest have a smaller one I think which probably won't work.

The other problem with the Dell Tower is that its a BTX case. So you can only fit shorter single slot cards with narrower heatsinks as clearance around the CPU fan is a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-optiplex-755-can-i-install-a-gtx-460.171186/

• Advertisement
Advertisement