Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KCC 7.5% reduction in LPT

Options
  • 23-09-2014 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

FF/FG defeated all other comers to vote in a 7.5% reduction in LPT today. 2 other proposals were 0% and 15% but by all accounts this was a done deal before the two right wing parties even entered the chamber.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Yay!

A 7.5% reduction in local services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

funny how they can reduce property tax within a year and they have never been able to reduce commercial rates paid by business?

Oh yeah, a business doesn't have a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Orion wrote: »
    FF/FG defeated all other comers to vote in a 7.5% reduction in LPT today. 2 other proposals were 0% and 15% but by all accounts this was a done deal before the two right wing parties even entered the chamber.

Thanks,

Saw a few other CC's voting, but no mention of Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staplor wrote: »
    Yay!

A 7.5% reduction in local services.

Council is still planning a surplus so they were never going to increase services anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I would've been expecting the full 15% to be passed on. As a commuter county, I would have presumed the property tax would benefit a county like Kildare more, because it has more residents than commercial properties, therefore it's budget would be healthier since the property tax came in.

As KCC's budget for Water Services in 2014 is €25,178,416, and since Irish water is taking over, and we will now be paying this by way of the Water tax, I would also assume much of this spend will also be available to KCC in 2015.

So I really think KCC should have passed on the full 15%!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

According to their own finance committee even after a 15% reduction there would have been a €1.1 million surplus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

[QUOTE=infacteh;92316967

As KCC's budget for Water Services in 2014 is €25,178,416, and since Irish water is taking over, and we will now be paying this by way of the Water tax, I would also assume much of this spend will also be available to KCC in 2015.

[/QUOTE]

But central government will deduct payment to councils because they no longer have that expense.

Central funds will still contribute to Irish water - the cost of supplying water and disposing of waste water is twice that being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

So this means they have plenty of cash surplus to build a swimming pool (or maybe even two) in North Kildare, one of only four DEDs in the country not to have one, despite being one of the richest.

And while they're at it: a recycling centre, reinstate library opening hours to match those in neighbouring Dublin, permanent playgrounds to replace the temporary ones, and maybe encourage someone to build a cinema instead of frustrating all attempts.

I'm hoping that the Municipal District system will allow the incredible inequalities between the north and south of the county in service provision (which are the exact opposite in rates and now property tax payments - this end of the county pays for everything) to be fixed. However, as we've got the same old same sold FF/FG stitch up on the council, nothing is likely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

delahuntv wrote: »
    funny how they can reduce property tax within a year and they have never been able to reduce commercial rates paid by business?

Oh yeah, a business doesn't have a vote.

I was thinking the same, especially with regards to Dublin, then again reducing the rates on business would have been unpopular :roll eyes:
    Not surprised though, its rare that people see the bigger picture, instead focusing on what benefits them in the short term, rather than the long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

There were three Kildare councillors at an anti water charges meeting last night ( hundreds there-room so crowded ,some had to kneel!) and one told of FF/FG councillors lying through their teeth about voting for 15% reduction .None of the FF/FG ( Lab?) councillors voted for the maximum reduction .

Labour put forward the 15% motion to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Where was that meeting?

Advertisement