Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15

Options
  • 23-09-2014 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hello,

Was just wondering if the following is a good laptop for a student? It's not for myself but looking for advice for someone else.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53105
    • Intel® Celeron® Dual Core N2830 Processor
    • Windows(R) 8.1 with Bing, English
    • 4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1)
    • 500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive

I don't think it would matter that it doesn't have a dvd player.

Would be used for:
    -Browsing Internet
    -Youtube
    -Streaming tv shows and films
    -Maybe storing a few photos but not many
    -Microsoft Office for College Work

Would this laptop be able to handle these things?
    Do you think it would be a reliable laptop that would last a few years?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Dell can be expensive, support is crap too if you ever need it. PCWorld have much the same for less. The one you have linked to will do fine for college.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-15p085sa-156-laptop-silver/318127/104.10

Watch out for the processors, some are not so great and may cause the laptop to stall. The one you have linked to will do fine in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Thanks Mr. G,

I think I will go ahead and get it for my friend.

249 euro seems a good price to me if it does the things I listed. I can't really afford much more at this moment in time.

I've read some reviews and the majority seem to be very positive, as is always the way though the handful of bad reviews make me worry about the choice so I felt like I could trust people's opinions more on this local forum where people know a lot about computers to ask an opinion.

I like the HP you linked to. At christmas or maybe in the new year I am interested in buying one of them or something similar for myself to replace my old one.

I'll probably be on here looking for advice again!

If you or anybody else wants to add any more info or opinions about the Dell in the next day or two before I order, I will be checking back on this thread.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The Laptop you linked will do all you ask and more Betty, but it won't come with Office pre-installed

21/25

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

uch wrote: »
    The Laptop you linked will do all you ask and more Betty, but it won't come with Office pre-installed

Most colleges give it for free anyway.

Advertisement