Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop pc

Options
  • 23-09-2014 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there! I need to buy a pc capable of running Autocad but have a very tight budget. (€500). Does anyone know what my best option would be! A new cheaper brand, or maybe a refurbished pc or an auction??? I would appreciate any help you can give me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Have a look at minimum specs for autocad and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shayfarrell

degsie wrote: »
    Have a look at minimum specs for autocad and go from there.

3ghz processor seems to be the main one and. 8 gig of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

I am running Autocad 2013 on a Toshiba Satellite 64 bit Windows 7, 2.1 Ghz with 2 GB of ram..runs it no problem...also I have it installed on an older HP laptop running Windows XP with only 1 GB RAM and speed of 1.8 Ghz and it runs no it problem.

Thanks,

I just got those specs from the Autodesk website.

I have it on a 32 bit laptop with a 2ghz processor but find it very slow with very detailed drawings.

Working on lots of detailed drawings with lots of other docs. open at the same time i.e. Google maps, emails, word & excel docs. and photos etc. so I need something quick

PC World does a Lenovo Tower with 8 GB ram and 500gb hard drive with a J"900 processor..clock speed of 2.4 ghz for 329.99, and they do a 23" monitor , a Philips for 170 euro. Home delivery as well...Cannot post links to these for some reason even though I'm not a new user and have posted links in the past! Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Luckydog69 wrote: »
    PC World does a Lenovo Tower with 8 GB ram and 500gb hard drive with a J"900 processor..clock speed of 2.4 ghz for 329.99, and they do a 23" monitor , a Philips for 170 euro. Home delivery as well...Cannot post links to these for some reason even though I'm not a new user and have posted links in the past! Hope this helps.

Hi,

That sounds good I will check it out!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Luckydog69 wrote: »

That's a terrible processor for Autocad. It's designed for web browsing and media, it's an Atom based processor. A proper Core i3 or i5 would be 300% faster.

Sure it would But he has a budget to maintain.... I'm currently running Autocad using a Pentium Processor similar to the one I spec'd earlier ( but not as powerful ) and never had a problem with performance, and used it everyday.

Hi,

What would you think of this PC.

hp-xw6600-gaming-ready-workstation-pc-system-intel-quad-xeon-e5450-x2-at2-83-ghz-8gb-1tb-hdd-geforce-gtx650-dvd-win-7-pro-64bit

Pentium Processors are much faster than those bay trail processors.

It's grand for casual use but for autocard it's a waste of money. The architecture is designed for tiny devices, tablets, netbooks and so on - not full size desktops.

Dell sell a brand new i3 based machine with 8Gb ram and a 1TB hard drive for €429 delivered for example. That's what you really need for Autocad when you're buying new and have a budget up to 500.

• Advertisement

Hi,

What would you think of this PC.

hp-xw6600-gaming-ready-workstation-pc-system-intel-quad-xeon-e5450-x2-at2-83-ghz-8gb-1tb-hdd-geforce-gtx650-dvd-win-7-pro-64bit

That's an old Core 2 based machine, not a great investment at all unless you're getting it very cheap....it'd be a lot faster than that J1900 Lenovo though.

That Dell is a good spec tower alright for 429...But its tower only, monitors on the dell site, 183 Euro for a 19.5" or 207 Euro for a 24"

You can buy monitors from Dabs, Pixmania or similar sites for half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They've started using Pentium and Celeron for low powered Atom processors.

Stick to i3/i5 if you don't know much about computers.

A lot of those old 2nd hand PC's are very overpriced especially on adverts.

Thanks for all this! Has anyone used "compu zone" they do refurbished pc's? Will definitely check out that DELL one!

Advertisement