Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Meriva ignition delay / not starting

• 23-09-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hope someone can help with what is becoming a frustrating problem.

Recently the wifes 1.6L petrol Opel Meriva has been given us problems starting.

The central locking is working fine as is the dash when you turn the key in the ignition, so I assume the battery is fine (only had it replaced in Feb anyway) however, that's when the problem starts, when turning the ignition the dash lights up as normal but the car just sits there with no life from the engine at all, no ticking, no attempt at turning over, its just lifeless. If you leave it & try it again about 20 or 30 seconds later & leave the key turned all the way in the ignition for approx 9/10 seconds it starts 'occasionally' other times it can take up to 30 minutes for it to start again.

I'm guessing that its a connection fault between the ignition & the starting motor or suchlike as the problem is intermittent, or could it be the starting motor or ignition itself? we are getting a mechanic to look at it later in the week but was wondering if anyone has come across this type of fault before?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Funny, I'm having the exact same problem with my fiesta intermittently at the moment.
    Awaiting to see what the potential fixes for this are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Bad connection from the battery, solenoid issue or brushes worn in the starter. Also could be faulty ignition switch. They're your main choices really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id probably try swapping out the battery first; its the quickest thing to rule out.

djimi wrote: »
    Id probably try swapping out the battery first; its the quickest thing to rule out.

Even the poorest battery should cause the solenoid to click, hence I don't think its the battery or indeed the connections - most likely to be the starter brushes in my opinion.

OP you could give a light tap to the starter with something metallic when it next fails and see if it turns over immediately. This would further indicate brush wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Avns1s wrote: »
    Even the poorest battery should cause the solenoid to click, hence I don't think its the battery or indeed the connections - most likely to be the starter brushes in my opinion.

OP you could give a light tap to the starter with something metallic when it next fails and see if it turns over immediately. This would further indicate brush wear.

If it was the starter brushes, what's the solution? A new starting motor? Or can the brushes be replaced?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    If it was the starter brushes, what's the solution? A new starting motor? Or can the brushes be replaced?

Yes the brushes can be replaced. Not familiar with the Meriva starter but for most cars you (or your menchanic) will be able to get brushes or a brushpack.

Otherwise, it might be worthwhile bringing it to a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They should be able to replace the brushes.

The danger is that some people may take the view that replacing the starter is the way forward. It's a lot easier but way more expensive.

As a side point - I recently replaced a brushpack in our Avensis for €10. Fitted it myself but still a very cheap fix!

Advertisement