Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine warning light and NCT

• 23-09-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I've an engine warning light showing on my dash which relates to a faulty oil level sensor (that fault also appearing on the dash).

The car is due for it's NCT but I've no plans to replace the sensor before then. Is that an NCT issue?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Your fine. No fail for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I've an engine warning light showing on my dash which relates to a faulty oil level sensor (that fault also appearing on the dash).

The car is due for it's NCT but I've no plans to replace the sensor before then. Is that an NCT issue?

Cheers

Shouldn't only be looking to replace it to keep the NCT happy

Times like this I'm glad of the NCT

Edit: seems it won't fail. Should be a fail. Sensor issue or not, the car is telling you something is not right

It's an NCT issue and a car issue. Shouldn't only be looking to replace it to keep the NCT happy

Yes it'll fail.

Get your facts right before posting on here.

These are from the NCT manual and the only warning light fails.

ITEM
    Malfunction Indicators for Airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS/Electronic Braking System (EBS) and Parking Brake.
    REASONS FOR FAILURE
    1 Not working or indicates a defect in the relevant system

Edit: seems it won't fail. Should be a fail. Sensor issue or not, the car is telling you something is not right

The car is incorrectly telling them something is wrong.

If there is something wrong with the engine then the NCT should find it and fail accordingly, it shouldn't fail because a light is on. In this case the engine is fine and should pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

NCT manual says check the oil level before testing, too high or too low they won't test for emissions so automatic fail, would assume if the car is like the father in laws BMW ( no dipstick just dash display ) then they'd refuse to test it for emissions so it would fail anyway

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

Page 12 Diesel
    Page 13 Petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

pippip wrote: »
    Get your facts right before posting on here.

These are from the NCT manual and the only warning light fails.

ITEM
    Malfunction Indicators for Airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS/Electronic Braking System (EBS) and Parking Brake.
    REASONS FOR FAILURE
    1 Not working or indicates a defect in the relevant system

That is from an old version of the NCT Manual, the list from the current manual is

ITEM
    Malfunction indicator for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags, electronic stability control (ESC), antilock brake system (ABS), electronic braking system (EBS), parking brake, tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS), electronic power steering (EPS), or brake fluid warning lamp.
    REASONS FOR FAILURE
    1 Not working or indicates a defect in the relevant system.
    2 Obvious Modification affecting correct operation.

Still no fail for oil level sensor warning, so as long as the oil level can be measured by dipstick etc it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The engine warning light can relate to a number of things. The NCT wont necessarily know which problem it relates to. I think it will fail.

emeldc wrote: »
    The engine warning light can relate to a number of things. The NCT wont necessarily know which problem it relates to. I think it will fail.

No, there is a specific list of malfunction indicators which will lead to an NCT fail.

emeldc wrote: »

I assume the op has investigated and knows its a faulty sensor. On that part that's why engine management lights cannot be trusted and why the NCT ignore them.

The NCT run their emissions tests & visual inspections to confirm all is correct with the engine. Once it passes those tests then the engine is operating correctly. The other warning lights they have no choice but to fail on as they cannot test them themselves.

pippip wrote: »
    I assume the op has investigated and knows its a faulty sensor. On that part that's why engine management lights cannot be trusted and why the NCT ignore them.

The NCT run their emissions tests & visual inspections to confirm all is correct with the engine. Once it passes those tests then the engine is operating correctly. The other warning lights they have no choice but to fail on as they cannot test them themselves.

Depends on what the light says if it's similar to this
    user40723_pic44029_1195565606-jpg.291
    Then they'd ( in all probability ) rightly refuse liability to test it for emissions and fail the car

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Depends on what the light says if it's similar to this

Then they'd ( in all probability ) rightly refuse liability to test it for emissions and fail the car

That's a slightly different issue - if there is a physical means of checking that the oil level is O.K.(i.e. dipstick, but some cars don't have them apparently) and the owner signed the disclaimer before the test, then what problem would there be?

Anjobe wrote: »
    That's a slightly different issue - if there is a physical means of checking that the oil level is O.K.(i.e. dipstick, but some cars don't have them apparently) and the owner signed the disclaimer before the test, then what problem would there be?

The only disclaimer they have is for the cam belt on diesel engines (AFAIK) sign it every time for my own car, but the wife's is petrol and have never had to sign anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Doesn't it depend on whether it's a Petrol or Diesel engine.
    EML on a diesel is a fail as they won't test it.
    Not a fail on a Petrol.

.....or have they changed this as well ?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The only disclaimer they have is for the cam belt on diesel engines (AFAIK) sign it every time for my own car, but the wife's is petrol and have never had to sign anything

I appreciate that standardly only diesel owners are asked to sign the disclaimer, but the NCT info states that the owner must ensure that the engine is in a fit state to be tested and may be asked to sign a disclaimer to this effect. Timing belt is given as an example but there is nothing to indicate that the disclaimer is restricted to timing belt in diesel engines.
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Doesn't it depend on whether it's a Petrol or Diesel engine.
    EML on a diesel is a fail as they won't test it.
    Not a fail on a Petrol.

.....or have they changed this as well ?

Correct, the smoke test will only be performed if the engine management light, oil pressure warning and engine temperature are all OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Shouldn't only be looking to replace it to keep the NCT happy

If I understood OP right, this is a fault of oil level senson - which is device telling driving if the oil level is no too low. It's an extra function, which most cars don't even have.
    OP should be still able to check oil level with dipstick.

So yes - car is telling that something is wrong, but it's also telling what is wrong, and thing which is wrong is none of the issue.

Therefore very good it's not a fail on NCT.

Advertisement