Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown Portuguese laurel

• 23-09-2014 10:19am

I have an overgrown Portuguese laurel. I don't keep it trimmed as much as I used to. Its 7 feet high and needs to cut back at least a foot and I would like to cut it down to 5 feet. Is this heavy a cut alright at this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd say that would be fine and it is a good time to do it. In fact, with the recent warm and often sunny weather my laurels have begun growing fast again. I am growing mine on either side of some steps in my front garden and want to form an arch when they get much bigger so no trimming needs to be done for another few years for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

you couldn't kill portuguese laurel if you tried, chop away, the only thing is it may not grow back until the spring so it may look a little sad until the spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭highdef

Good point about it looking a bit sad if cut back now. It looks like staying fairly mild for at least another week to 10 days, if not a bit longer so if you go do it this evening you might be lucky enough for it to get a bit of growth going again within the next fortnight or so.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about it looking sad for the winter. I will cut it back this weekend and hopefully I will get back into my routine of trimming it more regularly next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hostafairy

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about it looking sad for the winter. I will cut it back this weekend and hopefully I will get back into my routine of trimming it more regularly next year.

Don't cut too much off the sides into old wood; just trim ; you could take plenty off the top

• Advertisement

Hostafairy wrote: »
    Don't cut too much off the sides into old wood; just trim ; you could take plenty off the top

Why will it have trouble rejuvenating. Ill be cutting it back a few inches past where I had it two years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Paulownia wrote: »
    you couldn't kill portuguese laurel if you tried, chop away, the only thing is it may not grow back until the spring so it may look a little sad until the spring

I couldn't agree more they are as hardy as you can get.
    Even if op cut them off at 1ft high they will grow back.

I've decided to cut it right back. When you pull a few branches apart inside the hedge is not very dense so I'm as well to plenty off it while I'm at it. Starting tomorrow after work.

Advertisement