Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKC breed groups?

• 23-09-2014 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the IKC breed groups? I know they have a list but it's not very specific, just wondering if it's broken down into more basic groups than that, like gundog, toy, utility etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It does give the group when you look at the breed individually. For example - Shih Tzu are grouped as Utility dogs. Dobermanns are grouped as Working Dogs. But they're not listed as such if that's what you mean. You'll have to make up the lists yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep, they are divided into 10 Groups, named 1-10. If you would like more info, go to dogshowentry.ie and you can download schedules there and it gives lists of judges and the groups etc they are judging.

The FCI website will give you info too along with the IKC website. Have you a general query I can help you with as I show dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

IKC comes under FCI and the groups are different then in the English Kennel Club. IKC has 10 groups and KC has 7. Shih-tzus under IKC are group 9- Companion and Toy breeds. The IKC groups can be a bit more confusing than KC, but they are as well organized according to breed type and breed origin.

For example group 1 are sheep dogs and cattle dogs, 3 are terriers, 6 scenthounds,8 retrievers etc.

Are you interested in any particular breed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Thanks for your responses.

Reason I was asking is because I'm studying Animal Care, and one of my class teachers listed out the breed groups from the IKC, she had 7, she just didn't give us time to take them down properly. She gave us each a dog to study certain aspects of, and told us to put it into the breed group from IKC, but mine wasn't there. I found the info somewhere else though, thanks :)

Oh what breed was it if you don't mind me asking?
    There used to be 7 groups but there's now 10.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Oh what breed was it if you don't mind me asking?
    There used to be 7 groups but there's now 10.

Bouvier des Flandres :)

Bouvier des Flandres :)

Ah lovely. Yeah they are in group 1.

Can someone please post me the link to the breed groups on IKC? Thanks

Advertisement