Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Screen of Death

• 23-09-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi folks

I've windows seven and lately any game normal desktop game (e.g, Starcraft or even something old like Total War : rome) on the PC will cause it shortly after it starts to go to Black Screen of death. Completely blank, nothing is active. The fan really goes loud too before this happens.

I've an Nvidia 545 graphics card. I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and it's made no difference. I've cleaned away the dust from the fans and it's made no difference.

It's a three year old HP Pavillion and was a decent spec back then. It's only in the last few months this has started happening. Sometimes it happens without playing any game, a member of my family could just be on youtube and it will go to BSOD.

I'm at a loss as to how to resolve it. I've not found any clear answers on the internet as yet. Has anyone had the same issue and how did you overcome it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

2 things I would try would be to re-seat the Card, take it out and make sure all connections are clean then re-seat it, and I'd download the latest drivers from nVidia and reinstall the card using the new drivers instead of the ones bundled in Windows

Link to latest driver

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Devils Advocate here.

If the fan goes nuts it could be thermal. Vacuum clean the fans and make sure plenty of air flow and the room isn't too hot.

Also see if something is hogging the CPU , use taskmgr or procexp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Putting some new thermal paste on the CPU wouldnt go astray, in addition to what Capt'n Midnight said.

Advertisement