Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large employers in City Centre

Options
  • 23-09-2014 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Who are the large employers located in Galway City Centre?

And how many staff do they employ?

The likes of UHG and NUI Galway are obviously very big, and each of them must employ several hundred staff.

Are there others employing, say, 200-500 staff or even more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Who are the large employers located in Galway City Centre?

And how many staff do they employ?

The likes of UHG and NUI Galway are obviously very big, and each of them must employ several hundred staff.

Are there others employing, say, 200-500 staff or even more?

Interesting question.

I'd say some of the larger department stores like Brown Thomas and Dunnes, Stores have hundreds of staff. Also, consider the Gardai, the City Council. the harbour and the larger hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Iwannahurl wrote: »

2,400 in NUI Galway and 3,500 between the two hospitals, so it's probably safe to assume there are over 1,000 in UHG. As paddy said Dunnes, County/City Councils would have a few hundred each. Some of he larger hotels / department stroes would have 100+.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That depends on where you call the city centre: I wouldn't have said that it includes either of NUIG or UHG because they're both over the river.

I've done neighbourhood maps for the bits circling Shop St, which might give you clues about some places: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/05/inner-city-neighbourhood-map-summary.html

Revenue had to the order of 200-300 a few years back, not sure how much they've shrunk since then.

The city and county councils are likely - though have many field-based staff, and operate out of various locations (county hall, Liosban, etc) - I'm not sure how you'd count that.

Also whether you're looking for full-time-equivalents, or counting part-timers who are on 8-hour contracts as separate employees. If the latter, then add each Dunnes store, Tescos, Debenhams, Pennys and TK-Maxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

That depends on where you call the city centre: I wouldn't have said that it includes either of NUIG or UHG because they're both over the river.

Fair point re river, but I'm otherwise not sure how to define the area I have in mind.

I'm trying to exclude the obvious big employers, ie the ones in Parkmore/Ballybrit. To me NUI Galway is central (the Quad is just over 1 km from Eyre Square) though GMIT is clearly not.

I was not aware that the likes of Revenue could have so many staff. Department stores such as Dunnes wouldn't have sprung to my mind either, so I'm glad I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You could include banks, chippers, pub chains and probably some of the accountants. I also know a lad who's at least 25 stone and has his own business in town, he's a large employer but probably not relevant to this discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You could include banks, chippers, pub chains and probably some of the accountants. I also know a lad who's at least 25 stone and has his own business in town, he's a large employer but probably not relevant to this discussion.

daduntsh.gif

Advertisement