Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The future of RTE Radio 1 LW

Comments

Anna Leddy was responsible for Axing Val, a woman on a mission !!! You'd think she'd have a bit more respect for a man employed in RTE since the 50's !!!

http://politico.ie/archive/interview-val-joyce-long-nights-journey

One thing for sure is that RTE Radio Won't be the same again without the likes of Val Joyce, Gay Byrne, and Maxi, even Pat Kenny.

Cathal, Tubridy, and Shay are just not as good, but, RTE R 1 is still a lot more listenable to the pure trype that's on 2FM today ! But that's not saying a lot for R 1.

A least Cathal is a lot more listenable to than Tubridy and the music isn't bad, but that Voice of Val's was so hypnotic !

It's quiet sad that the likes of the Joe Duffy Show can continue while Val Joyce gets axed, is that a sad reflection on the mentality of the listeners ? I do believe RTE 1 would do so much better if they could replace the Joe Duffy show for something more uplifting, more enjoyable and far less depressing and negative !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sad to see the emigrant community in UK being sold out again.
    Maybe something will be done for them.

Liveline has 370,000 listeners and is ranked 2nd highest after Morning Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2017/1026/915388-rte-announces-latest-jnlr-figures/

I listen to Morning Ireland every morning I go to work and every Morning I come off nights, it's a decent program. When I'm off shift I could hardly hear it with a 2 year old and 3.5 year old screaming the house down lol.

But 370K liveline listeners just proves there's something wrong with Irish People's mentality, or at least 370 K of them. Moaners and wingers. I think for the mental health benefit of Irish People that Live Line should be scrapped but thet's not likely given the figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Anna Leddy was responsible for Axing Val, a woman on a mission !!! You'd think she'd have a bit more respect for a man employed in RTE since the 50's !!!

http://politico.ie/archive/interview-val-joyce-long-nights-journey

Believe it or not I was talking to a German tourist in Co. Clare a couple of years back who told me he used to listen to Val Joyce on RTE Radio when he was a kid

One thing for sure is that RTE Radio Won't be the same again without the likes of Val Joyce, Gay Byrne, and Maxi, even Pat Kenny.
    Cathal, Tubridy, and Shay are just not as good, but, RTE R 1 is still a lot more listenable to the pure trype that's on 2FM today ! But that's not saying a lot for R 1.

2FM has certainly gone to the dogs in recent years, but I think that's more reflective of the quality of music today. IMO Radio 1 in the UK is only marginally better and Capital FM is more of the same

A least Cathal is a lot more listenable to than Tubridy and the music isn't bad, but that Voice of Val's was so hypnotic !
    It's quiet sad that the likes of the Joe Duffy Show can continue while Val Joyce gets axed, is that a sad reflection on the mentality of the listeners ? I do believe RTE 1 would do so much better if they could replace the Joe Duffy show for something more uplifting, more enjoyable and far less depressing and negative !

Like I said, Joe should have been sacked or pensioned off years ago. Put Val Joyce on presenting an afternoon show with a nice variety of all kinds of music, old and new. Now that'd be quality radio...

I'd tune in just to hear Val's Voice again , never mind the music !

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Folks - you are deviating off the subject

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why end FM ? what's the advantage to the Public ?

None.

FM is a near perfect medium for radio. It provides good quality with low noise and can provide excellent hi-fi stereo, can provide good coverage, is good for local radio, the spectrum cannot be used by anything else usefully - it should be left alone.

I do feel that MW should be used more in Ireland to free up FM spectrum. Keep the likes of Joe Duffy and Newstalk on MW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do feel that MW should be used more in Ireland to free up FM spectrum. Keep the likes of Joe Duffy and Newstalk on MW.

The main problem is that LW coverage is destroyed by the Algerian station. It would make sense for RTE 1 to move to MW because so many stations have abandoned it and MW can be received almost as well as LW in the UK, particularly London. ( WE still have MW frequencies available. ) FM disappears very soon after leaving Holyhead, and doe not reach Belfast whereas MW would cover the whole island and most of Britain.

I am not sure about power levels though, but interference from electrical stuff should be a bit lower.

• Advertisement

Yeah it would make sense but they're not going to fire up the old 567 transmitter when they upgraded the 252 transmitter to solid state with DRM capability. Never going to happen, they're not going to pay for any maintenance that maybe needed since it was taken off air and I don't think they'd re tune the LW transmitter because LW is pretty crowded anyway, what they could do is lease some MW transmitters in the U.K that might make more sense ?

The whole point is that RTE deem mw/lw outdated technology that has no place in 2018 where everything should be digital, regardless of whether it benefits the listener or not they don't care, it's all about cutting costs and keeping technology up to date to benefit them or if everything is digital then that's the way it should be in 2018.

Yeah it would make sense but they're not going to fire up the old 567 transmitter when they upgraded the 252 transmitter to solid state with DRM capability. Never going to happen, they're not going to pay for any maintenance that maybe needed since it was taken off air and I don't think they'd re tune the LW transmitter because LW is pretty crowded anyway, what they could do is lease some MW transmitters in the U.K that might make more sense ?

The whole point is that RTE deem mw/lw outdated technology that has no place in 2018 where everything should be digital, regardless of whether it benefits the listener or not they don't care, it's all about cutting costs and keeping technology up to date to benefit them or if everything is digital then that's the way it should be in 2018.

AFAIK RTE/2RN Networks must maintain the Tullamore mast as a matter of public safety to ensure that it is structurally sound. I do think that the transmitter itself should be maintained to a condition that it can be put back on the air as a sort of failsafe/redundancy measure should anything happen to the nationwide FM network. The transmitter site could be fed from Astra as a means of keeping the audio distribution costs to a minimum (as done by BBC R5, BBC regional stations, TalkSport & Absolute for their MW transmitters). Yes, it's true that many radios sold now cannot receive MW, and those that do generally only include MW-compatibility as an afterthought more so than anything else, but there are a shedload of perfectly serviceable legacy receivers out there. You can pick up a half-decent 70's/80's transistor portable with plenty of life left in it on ebay for about 20 or 30 quid. Unfortunately I can't see RTE implementing this measure.

Personally I think that AM is slowly being killed off by a combination of 3 things - 1) The obsession with cost-per-listener, 2) Poor reception quality of most modern receivers & 3) Noise interference as a result of very lax EMC compliance regulations

Most modern Radios are built to receive local Am transmitters.

Noise from modern electrics isn't as much of an issue with strong signals. This is where DRM comes in. DRM wipes out the noise completely but needs a good signal for decoding.

I do wish modern Radio's allowed external antennas, for FM/AM, some do but most don't.

Most modern Radios are built to receive local Am transmitters.

I've heard that alright. Although I have driven from Limerick to Dublin and been able to pick up Wales, Scotland, 5 Live & TalkSport and only lost signal when driving under powerlines. At night it's a different story with the Spanish et al stations cutting across. That's in my current VW Polo. AM in the Fiesta before that was unlistenable once you turned on the ignition.

I can get the same stations on my 70's Philips radio, but only at the back of the house. TBH though since I got the FreeSat I only really use that radio on the Dublin-Holyhead ferry and on the train journeys.
    Noise from modern electrics isn't as much of an issue with strong signals. This is where DRM comes in. DRM wipes out the noise completely but needs a good signal for decoding.

I do wish modern Radio's allowed external antennas, for FM/AM, some do but most don't.

I had an old Roberts years ago which had an external input. That could pull in so many stations it was tricky to fully tune in to the one that you wanted. My father has (or used to have) a Sony PLL SW receiver which also had an external aerial that you could attach to it. Must ask him if he still has it. Can't remember the last time I listened to SW...

You can listen to SW any time you want on my SDR ! :-)

http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/

Car radios are different, their antennas are much larger than your average domestic radio, for the car the rear defogger element is used for AM.

A lot of SW radio's or Multiband radios have an external antenna jack mostly for FM and SW, if it does not say AM then it will use only the internal ferrite antenna and you can greatly improve Am reception with a loop such as the Tecsun AN-200, it can make a big difference.

I love scanning the SW bands and it's really amazing when you can pull in Radio New Zealand International , Radio is amazing.

You can listen to SW any time you want on my SDR ! :-)

http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/

Car radios are different, their antennas are much larger than your average domestic radio, for the car the rear defogger element is used for AM.

A lot of SW radio's or Multiband radios have an external antenna jack mostly for FM and SW, if it does not say AM then it will use only the internal ferrite antenna and you can greatly improve Am reception with a loop such as the Tecsun AN-200, it can make a big difference.

I love scanning the SW bands and it's really amazing when you can pull in Radio New Zealand International , Radio is amazing.

Thanks for the link! Been having fun with it the past week. Discovered some very interesting content (plus some downright bizarre). Didn’t manage to find Laser Hot Hits, maybe they got raided again...

• Advertisement

You'll usually find Laser in the 49 meter band or just a bit outside of the band.

Yeah it's a lot of fun, I'm impressed with the Bonito Loop Antenna good signal to noise and is good at lower frequencies in particular.

You can try 4025 Khz and 6205 Khz where laser usually transmit but could be on different frequencies at times.

I've a new antenna on the way a Bonito MegaActive MA305, can't wait to try it out but might not make it permanent on the SDR might make it my portable antenna and muck about antenna with my SDRPlay and other radios. Depends on it's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I have to say MW/LW days in Ireland are coming to an end. It would be important to protect the FM Band for radio.

FM Band is fine but crowded this is where MW/LW can help out. You hear on RTE R 1 where they will announce different programming on LW 252, this is convenient and the transmitter is relatively new/modern and won't require a lot of maintenance. LW/MW also means a lot less infrastructure is needed.

I caught the tail end of a broadcast on Shortwave yesterday, I think it's the Man who owns WRMI and he said MW/SW will be around for decades and there's renewed interest in shortwave in the U.S.

SW can cover huge distances with one transmitter and you only need a cheap radio to pick it up nothing else, the networks own it and have full control over it and this is what they want.

RTE could buy a solid state transmitter for MW and use the 567 Frequency again for different programming.

I was listening to DAB in the car the other evening on the way to work to RTE Gold. It dropped out a few times but wasn't bad, but indoors at home forget it. DAB will need lots more transmitters than MW/LW.

RTE Gold could and should be on MW and it would get many more listeners but RTE think they have to cater more for the 20 something generation all the time.

I don't know anyone who listens to DAB.

In my opinion a new solid state 500 KW transmitter should be installed at Tullamore for Radio 1 only (like its always been) removing it was a mistake. RTE Gold should replace Lyric FM and have Lyric on digital only. I can assure you RTE Gold will be a massive success on FM.

I'd leave Lyric alone, I like the station sometimes far better than the usual dirt you hear on day time radio.

Yeah Gold would be great on a nationwide FM frequency but I don't think the licensing laws would allow the station in it's current form. No news every 30 mins, no pop music etc.

I don't think DAB , MW, LW are subject to the same restrictions ?

• Advertisement

I'd leave Lyric alone, I like the station sometimes far better than the usual dirt you hear on day time radio.

Yeah Gold would be great on a nationwide FM frequency but I don't think the licensing laws would allow the station in it's current form. No news every 30 mins, no pop music etc.

I don't think DAB , MW, LW are subject to the same restrictions ?

Agreed Lyric is a gem of a station.
    Really good to chill out with on a drive.
    I like to think of it as "the anti road rage station".

It's actually true, I am a lot more relaxed listening to Lyric in the car !

I too would leave Lyric on FM as it is. I often tune into it in the car for the same reasons

R1 LW to be phased out and replaced with a DAB version for the UK.

https://www.rte.ie/strategy/pdf/RTE-Strategy-2018-2022.pdf

See page 41.

As for DAB here there doesn't seem to be any committment to expand beyond whats already available. FM to continue for the foreseable future.

Oh Yeah I hear something on Radio 1 this morning driving home about RTE's "Digital First" plan to attract the "youth".

Seems to me that RTE are on a very slippery slope.

Next they'll be shouting for FM switch off saying that it's time we're rid of this ancient technology , DAB will offer such better quality and services etc which is completely wrong.

I'd actually love to see RTE start up an international SW radio service. RTE International, nice ring to it. 300 Kw on the 49 meter band. There's no way they wouldn't hear that all over the U.K and thousands of miles beyond.

Anyway the youth are not interested in Radio and are just glued to their phones all day and all night and the last thing they think about or want is Radio which is sad in itself because they'll be less informed.

They're listening only to music and nothing else, radio offers a lot more than news and music this is why I love Shortwave so much is because you can hear different news from different parts of the world that will never see air time in this country.

I would say that RTE are going to loose more and more people to whom radio matters the most.

Basically this is Dee Forbes strikes again. RTE's first Female Director General is certainly trying to prove "Women can do it" and doesn't care what has to be done to get what she wants !

Plans to save money by axing staff meaning older DJ's and presenters for 20 somethings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What she should be doing is axing the outdated and ridiculously expensive dinosaurs like Duffy and Finucane (you can throw Tubbs in there too)

She won't though.

Scrap the cap!

As much as I detest the Joe Duffy Show, it does sometimes cover good topics and helps highlight certain issues that need highlighting but mostly it's a very negative show.

However it does have a lot of listeners and most of them are well beyond the age range Dee Forbes is trying to attract but she knows that it would be suicide if she axed Joe Duffy , Pat Kenny was a big loss to RTE and while he was useless on the Late Late he is good at what he does and that's more current affairs.

Ryan Tubridy is useless on the Late late and on Radio one, and he's full of the usual Anti Trump rhetoric that's getting on my wick big time. He comes across as having no real personality.

On the Late Late he's a poor interviewer and has a poor sense of humour and is not really a people person if you ask me. It would save RTE a lot to axe him alright and I don't think most people would care too much.

Now credit where credit is due, Tubridy was good on 2FM back in the 00's and this is where he belongs if you ask me.

Marian Finucane is far too over paid considering her contribution to RTE but that's ok because she's a Woman........ but in fairness her show has a lot of listeners.

I wouldn't know any of the Dj's on 2FM these days really but some of them are absolutely atrocious especially the moppets they have on in the morning but that's ok because they're probably 20 something and 20 somethings are supposed to act like complete brainless idiots that can hardly string a sentence together and talk utter sh1te ?

All the greats are gone from RTE,

Pat Kenny
    Gareth O'Callaghan,
    Gerry Ryan
    Maxi
    Ian Dempsey
    Val Joyce ( who has simply the best radio voice ever )

Am I forgetting anyone ? all those who made RTE once a good entertainer.

I hope Dee Forbes realises that there's consequences for her actions and changing Our , yes OUR National broadcaster into something that no one wants. She may think she knows what we want but she's in for a very big surprise if she continues on her destructive path which is basically destroying Ireland's National Broadcaster , I'm not saying it's all her fault , RTE hasn't had a terrific past by any means but as bad as it was it's going to get a hell of a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think she should be judged for her actions but rather her inaction

The 'national broadcaster' was going down the tubes long before she took charge. I'm still (just about) under 50 and there is nothing on RTE TV or radio to interest me and its deeply conservative mindset alienates me totally.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Does anyone under 30 even listen to radio any more?

• Advertisement

Yes of course but the problem with streaming is that those constantly streaming are less aware of world events and even those in their own country, people need to be informed and if people are constantly on the internet looking up crap and not looking at news or listening to news then there's going to be a lot of people who won't care about what goes on in the country or in the world.

Radio offers more than just news and one reason I listen to Shortwave is to become more aware of what happens outside of Ireland and the U.S and Donald Trump, all you hear in Ireland's Liberal media is Constant anti Trump remarks and it's a big turn off. I also like the different cultures and accents, some U.S religious stations also have good topics that are not religious related a lot of the radio stations broadcast mixed content.

It's actually amazing what you don't hear in Irish news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

Is there really a future in LW radio though?

There isn't because RTE have refused to change frequency to eliminate the super mega transmitter in Algeria, 1.5 Mw is astonishing power and wiped out RTE on LW , they transmit at a whopping 750 Kw at night so there really is no solution but to move frequency or the real solution would have been to keep 567 on MW or change to solid state.

252 was upgraded to DRM too which provides interference free transmissions but needs a good quality signal.

RTE may very well have reduced power of 252 either to convince people that LW isn't worth it but in reality you can't really compete with 1.5 Mw of power.

MW or SW , MW is crowded, especially at night but SW has great potential and can cover huge distances, radios are very cheap and there's plenty of old radios on ebay good quality and cheap.

I do know one thing is that we don't need DAB !

There isn't because RTE have refused to change frequency to eliminate the super mega transmitter in Algeria, 1.5 Mw is astonishing power and wiped out RTE on LW , they transmit at a whopping 750 Kw at night so there really is no solution but to move frequency or the real solution would have been to keep 567 on MW or change to solid state.

252 was upgraded to DRM too which provides interference free transmissions but needs a good quality signal.

RTE may very well have reduced power of 252 either to convince people that LW isn't worth it but in reality you can't really compete with 1.5 Mw of power.

MW or SW , MW is crowded, especially at night but SW has great potential and can cover huge distances, radios are very cheap and there's plenty of old radios on ebay good quality and cheap.

I do know one thing is that we don't need DAB !
    Well I think the recent strategy has rules out any major updates on DAB. They seem to prefer FM at this point which is great.

I never could understand why people don’t use the digital services available in the U.K. like Freesat and internet radio. I guess you can pin it on the older generation, but if they are able to protest the closure of LW surely they can go out and buy a cheap internet radio or even a DAB radio in the future.

Well I think the recent strategy has rules out any major updates on DAB. They seem to prefer FM at this point which is great.

I never could understand why people don’t use the digital services available in the U.K. like Freesat and internet radio. I guess you can pin it on the older generation, but if they are able to protest the closure of LW surely they can go out and buy a cheap internet radio or even a DAB radio in the future.

A lot of them are technophobes or don't even have internet connections. Some like listening on portable LW radios in the garden or at allotments.

Just a simple little pleasure trying to maintain some sort of contact with their home place. In many cases a home place that failed them.

It's a pity we have to fail them again in their twilight years. Hopefully some community groups will get support to help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When I was growing up in an area with no electricity, listening to the very limited output available on the radio was not an exercise for the technophobe. The wet battery had to be taken to the local town every couple of weeks to be charged. The dry battery was the size of a brick. No signal could be heard unless an external aerial, replete with egg insulators, was run from the chimney to a nearby tree. So I don't buy the argument that there are many people from that era who couldn't master the much simpler kit around these days.

There was no RTE on long wave until 2004, so they were able to manage without it for decades. The medium wave signal was not even able to cover all of Ireland effectively, hence the local transmitters in Dublin and Cork. So listeners in GB would have to have been technically competent to get good reception in London for example.

Freesat may not give the same convenience as a handheld receiver but it's a workable compromise IMO.

Internet radio should not be touted as a replacement for traditional means of reception. I just think that it's totally unreasonable to expect people to sign up to an ISP or use up all their mobile data allowance just to tune into a radio station

A lot of elderly people don't want to subscribe to internet services to listen to one of the most basic and oldest form of communication nor should anyone have to subscribe to the internet , install satellite dishes or cable tv to listen to Radio. It's not right that someone would have to have their TV on to listen to the radio which might not even be in the same room they want to listen to it.

A lot of people get good enjoyment from listening to the radio and as backward as some younger folk think that a physical radio might be in this day and age including certain people at RTE it's still a very popular form of communication.

And it's not just the elderly that listen to radio either.

It's like this, if Radio isn't broke then don't fix it and don't look for problems that don't exist and RTE created a problem by switching off MW, sure 252 was a newer transmitter but surely it's not too difficult to change it and the Antenna to 567 Khz. ?

Freesat may not give the same convenience as a handheld receiver but it's a workable compromise IMO.

I don't think it's workable at all, it's unfair to expect someone to keep the TV on to listen to radio.
    Internet radio should not be touted as a replacement for traditional means of reception. I just think that it's totally unreasonable to expect people to sign up to an ISP or use up all their mobile data allowance just to tune into a radio station

Agree 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

When I was growing up in an area with no electricity, listening to the very limited output available on the radio was not an exercise for the technophobe. The wet battery had to be taken to the local town every couple of weeks to be charged. The dry battery was the size of a brick. No signal could be heard unless an external aerial, replete with egg insulators, was run from the chimney to a nearby tree. So I don't buy the argument that there are many people from that era who couldn't master the much simpler kit around these days.

There was no RTE on long wave until 2004, so they were able to manage without it for decades. The medium wave signal was not even able to cover all of Ireland effectively, hence the local transmitters in Dublin and Cork. So listeners in GB would have to have been technically competent to get good reception in London for example.

+1

It seems to be conveniently forgotten that these 'old people' being referred to here are of the generation who produced the first wave of 'modern technology'.

One thing most people now regarded as old have learned is that things change, life moves on and new technology replaces old.
    They lived through the old fixed vale radio moving to transistors and portable and old 78s to vinyl 33 1/3 and single 45s .... cassette tapes and digital tapes and CDs and DVDs and BluRays.

Yet they are not capable of moving from LW?

Some perspective is needed and in particular some acceptance should be shown for those who have lived through and enjoyed the most disruptive technology time period man has ever known.

Just tell people what they need to do if they want to continue to listen.

This is the generation that invented a lot of the devices we regard as necessary to our daily lives!

+1

It seems to be conveniently forgotten that these 'old people' being referred to here are of the generation who produced the first wave of 'modern technology'.

One thing most people now regarded as old have learned is that things change, life moves on and new technology replaces old.
    They lived through the old fixed vale radio moving to transistors and portable and old 78s to vinyl 33 1/3 and single 45s .... cassette tapes and digital tapes and CDs and DVDs and BluRays.

Yet they are not capable of moving from LW?

Some perspective is needed and in particular some acceptance should be shown for those who have lived through and enjoyed the most disruptive technology time period man has ever known.

Just tell people what they need to do if they want to continue to listen.

This is the generation that invented a lot of the devices we regard as necessary to our daily lives!
    I 100% agree. Maybe that money saved can be used to develop a newer technology that will benefit the newer generation

Money saved are you joking ? it doesn't cost a lot to keep a transmitter in operation in the grand sceme of things, RTE actually waste a lot more money than keeping a single transmitter operating.

By the way the move to DAB is of no benefit to the Public over FM. Moving on and embracing newer technology is fine provided there is some benefit and in the case of DAB there's 0.

Money saved are you joking ? it doesn't cost a lot to keep a transmitter in operation in the grand sceme of things, RTE actually waste a lot more money than keeping a single transmitter operating.

By the way the move to DAB is of no benefit to the Public over FM. Moving on and embracing newer technology is fine provided there is some benefit and in the case of DAB there's 0.
    That’s why they aren’t progressing in upgrading their DAB network. Maybe that money can be pumped into a newer RTE player, new content, new channels etc.

Yes that would be better in my opinion, personally I never use the RTE player but I'm sure plenty do.

I'm not so sure we need another RTE TV channel , the quality of material on the 2 stations is not so great, apart from watching the news there's nothing I watch really. I'd listen to Radio 1 more.

Does anyone under 30 even listen to radio any more?

Well I’m 31, so not too far off, and I listen to many different radio stations via different types of media.

Nationwide radio & local stations I listen to on my handheld FM receiver which cost about 12 quid in Argos & uses up 2 x AA cells every couple of months (good luck with getting anywhere near that battery life on a DAB radio).

UK radio stations I generally get on my Freesat TV, and on medium & long wave to a lesser extent, in situations where I’m not near a TV (eg. in the car, out the back).

For radio stations that I can’t get via conventional means, then I use apps and the web. IP-based broadcasting most certainly has its merits, don’t get me wrong, but to suggest that it renders every other transmission medium irrelevant is a bit like saying that walking is obsolete now that we have cars IMO

• Advertisement

Looking ahead, even now as I go into electronic stores and look at modern radios. most of them are FM/DAB now, just a handful of MW and even less with LW bands. It is important that we have a good FM service throughout the island of Ireland and get a mini DAB+ system to run in the UK, and we'll leave it at that.

Did someone here post a video of the closure of MW 567 ? anyway notice how RTE of course went into a electrical shop and asked a young sales man "when was the last time you were asked for a MW radio ? " and the chap said no one ever came in looking for a MW radio.

Notice the trick question ? no one will go into a shop and say have you got an FM radio now will they ? no, because everyone automatically accumes a radio will have FM/MW and/or LW.

So naturally no, no one will go in and ask for a Medium Wave Radio, RTE of course trying to portray there were no listeners to 567 when in fact there were plenty, my Mother/Aunt are two people I know, back then they transmitted different programming a lot more then they do now on 252 which must have been quiet convenient for them, now they really only have FM and sometimes they transmit different programming via 252 and I expect when 252 is gone they'll try convince people to use their wonderful "digital" app !

Did someone here post a video of the closure of MW 567 ? anyway notice how RTE of course went into a electrical shop and asked a young sales man "when was the last time you were asked for a MW radio ? " and the chap said no one ever came in looking for a MW radio.

Notice the trick question ? no one will go into a shop and say have you got an FM radio now will they ? no, because everyone automatically accumes a radio will have FM/MW and/or LW.

So naturally no, no one will go in and ask for a Medium Wave Radio, RTE of course trying to portray there were no listeners to 567 when in fact there were plenty, my Mother/Aunt are two people I know, back then they transmitted different programming a lot more then they do now on 252 which must have been quiet convenient for them, now they really only have FM and sometimes they transmit different programming via 252 and I expect when 252 is gone they'll try convince people to use their wonderful "digital" app !

Yes I remember it well, it was a news item back in March 2008. I was shocked at that announcement and very wrong of RTE to shut MW 567kwz, what ever about 2fm MW it not that important. As far as today is concerned, there's no point in hoping anything regarding AM broadcasting. And I do agree Mad_Lad a time will come when they'll want to turn off FM.

I'm not sure, Norway is it ? that shut off all FM are having big problems and the national Broadcaster are loosing a lot of listeners as a result and there's no sign of a proper solution.

People don't want DAB they're happy with FM so why give people something they're not asking for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm not sure, Norway is it ? that shut off all FM are having big problems and the national Broadcaster are loosing a lot of listeners as a result and there's no sign of a proper solution.

People don't want DAB they're happy with FM so why give people something they're not asking for ?

money

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement