Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie - some recommendations please

Options
  • 23-09-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been done to death but I am so sick of shaving with rubbish razors and I want to go down the safety razor route. I've used everything from BIC plastic 2 blade disposables with tesco value shaving foam to the extortionate vibrating 5 blade monstrosities with one-drop shaving oil and I haven't found anything that I'm happy with.

I have a combination of very thick facial hair and irritable sensitive skin so shaving is an uncomfortable experience for me anyway. I think that it might be worth investing in some good shaving gear and a safety razor to see if it makes the ordeal easier.

Can someone recommend a good (but relatively inexpensive) razor and any other gear that I may need to get started? I don't mind spending up to about 40 quid on a razor but not much more in case I don't like it. I've been looking at shaving.ie but there is just so much selection I haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been done to death but I am so sick of shaving with rubbish razors and I want to go down the safety razor route. I've used everything from BIC plastic 2 blade disposables with tesco value shaving foam to the extortionate vibrating 5 blade monstrosities with one-drop shaving oil and I haven't found anything that I'm happy with.

I have a combination of very thick facial hair and irritable sensitive skin so shaving is an uncomfortable experience for me anyway. I think that it might be worth investing in some good shaving gear and a safety razor to see if it makes the ordeal easier.

Can someone recommend a good (but relatively inexpensive) razor and any other gear that I may need to get started? I don't mind spending up to about 40 quid on a razor but not much more in case I don't like it. I've been looking at shaving.ie but there is just so much selection I haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks all!

I'd recommend a Merkur 42c, Arko shave soap stick and the Omega 13522 value boar brush. Also, pick up a pack of Astra or Derby blades. Once you get your technique down then get yourself a sample pack. Make sure to watch a few YouTube video's on how to shave with a DE razor. This is important because shaving with a DE razor is different to a cartridge razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I'd recommend a Merkur 42c, Arko shave soap stick and the Omega 13522 value boar brush. Also, pick up a pack of Astra or Derby blades. Once you get your technique down then get yourself a sample pack. Make sure to watch a few YouTube video's on how to shave with a DE razor. This is important because shaving with a DE razor is different to a cartridge razor.
    We all use different equipment; I use a Merkur 15C razor with Feather blades, Proraso cream and and an Omega brush, but that's just what I have got to like in about eight years of DE shaving. It's not some secret skill so don't be put off. You will quickly find your way around it. I would offer two suggestions:
    • As Uncle Sam says, the technique is different. You have to put sustained pressure on the head of a cartridge razor because it is so light. You never do that with a DE razor. Just let the weight of it rest on your skin; use just enough (very little) pressure to hold it there; then draw it along your skin, in the direction of your beard growth.
    • Then stop. That's enough to start with.
    The second time you shave, do the same again.

But the third time, having shaved once again like that, and if you are impatient (as I was), do a second shave (carefully and lightly) acoss the grain of your beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Michael G wrote: »
    We all use different equipment; I use a Merkur 15C razor with Feather blades, Proraso cream and and an Omega brush, but that's just what I have got to like in about eight years of DE shaving. It's not some secret skill so don't be put off. You will quickly find your way around it. I would offer two suggestions:
    • As Uncle Sam says, the technique is different. You have to put sustained pressure on the head of a cartridge razor because it is so light. You never do that with a DE razor. Just let the weight of it rest on your skin; use just enough (very little) pressure to hold it there; then draw it along your skin, in the direction of your beard growth.
    • Then stop. That's enough to start with.
    The second time you shave, do the same again.

But the third time, having shaved once again like that, and if you are impatient (as I was), do a second shave (carefully and lightly) acoss the grain of your beard.

Good to know thank you.

Advertisement