Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else experienced negativity from people about their dog

• 23-09-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I live in Co Limerick and my partner and I got a dog over a year ago we live the countryside so we usually take her walking in Lough gur which is a lake close to us or the village I grew up in, its unbelieveable the amount of people that have issues with dogs and we keep ours on a leash always.

Parents are the main problem at the lake we go to complaining that dogs are a threat to their children. 99% of dog owners walk their dog on a leash there and its in fact the children that end up invading the dogs space and when you tell the child not to get any closer the parents get insulted.

I have also got dirty looks and comments like she better keep that thing away from me, we have a pomeranian so shes far from being a giant!

I also know other people who walk their dogs in more built up areas and have been lectured about dogs soiling the foot paths and so on.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems or is it just the area I live in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep, definitely. Try owning a restricted breed dog and you will know all about it. I just tend to ignore people like that as you wont change their opinion if they are that ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Yes, try owning a lurcher and greyhound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

People are nuts and don't need any reason to moan no matter what breed it is.

I was with my foster dog in St. Anne's a couple of weeks ago, a small black terrier x. She proceeded to "answer the call of nature" and this oul biddy, hands clasped behind her back like a cranky headmistress wandered over and goes "I hope you're going to clean that up" in a sour voice. I whip out my poo bag and go "absolutely,would you like to stay and watch or I could maybe take a video for you?" with me bending down very dramatically. She mutters and wanders off....I got a great laugh out of it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Two Sibes here... Not a lot of issues to be honest. But, I'm almost 6'2" and parents don't seem to want to confront a grumpy looking man and two large(ish) dogs. Then again, they are always on leads and we mostly keep to ourselves.

Though... I have had to correct a number of people's kids, in front of the parents. As a non-parent myself and not one to adopt the 'softly softly' approach, I do get a frosty initial reaction - as I have to stop kids in their tracks, running towards us. And there's only one way to do this. Loudly... And sternly. The flip side is a friendly 70lb dog accidentally hurting their child. No grey areas for me.

If I get the chance to, I like to explain to kids that you can't approach a strange dog (or dogs) and teach them HOW to approach one, if invited. But I rarely get the chance... As parents are quick to drag them away and explain nothing to them.

OP, if your dog is on a lead and behaving itself, I'd simply ignore the likes you speak of, above.

As for people not picking up poop, don't get me started!!! You own a dog - bags cost 2 euro for 100 - pick it up FFS!!!

And the amount of places we go in Limerick with so many others off lead... Does my head in - when a dog is not properly trained (under effective control). I don't bother others, so why should I have to restrain my two (on leads) when an unruly loose dog comes bounding over.

As I said in an earlier thread... Only strong enforcement of 'doggy' laws will lead to (I know I know, no pun intended) change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yeah, like Hooked, with huskies I either get people running towards us to hug the huskies - 'look at their eyes' or running away from us crying "it's a woluf, its a woluf"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

We had our share of weird reactions to our cattledogs, the most ridiculous was last year, when me and my oh were in a local park playing fetch with the two dogs and a lady came into the park with some small dog. She stayed at least a hundred metres away from us and didn't seem to be going into our direction, so we carried on. (If she was heading towards us, we would have called the dogs back and kept them by our side, so she could walk by, as we normally do that as a common courtesy to other people).

Few minutes later a local guard arrived, watched us playing for a bit and approached us and explained that there was a complaint about our dogs running loose... We explained the situation, while the dogs were literally lying at our feet minding their own business. Luckily he was a reasonable man and just told us to wait until the lady who called him goes away and carry on.

So, yeah some people can be funny....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yeah, like Hooked, with huskies I either get people running towards us to hug the huskies - 'look at their eyes' or running away from us crying "it's a woluf, its a woluf"

I had 2 kids a bit afraid of my two calling them tigers!! :p. Got Bailey to do some tricks for them and loved it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Children approaching my dog drives me insane my pomeranian is a tiny dog and screaming children frighten her because shes so fluffy shes the prime target for kids because shes a walking soft toy and not a living thing. So now we usually go very early in the morning or later in the evening when children usually are'nt around! I am afraid that she will bite a child once if they frigthen her enough. I am thinking a muzzle might be the safest thing...

Karen91 wrote: »
    Children approaching my dog drives me insane my pomeranian is a tiny dog and screaming children frighten her because shes so fluffy shes the prime target for kids because shes a walking soft toy and not a living thing. So now we usually go very early in the morning or later in the evening when children usually are'nt around! I am afraid that she will bite a child once if they frigthen her enough. I am thinking a muzzle might be the safest thing...

On the child... Right? ;P

Please don't censor your dog. Spot the signs of a child approaching and duly send them on their way...

Also:

113AA39E-B1B2-4413-9F31-A0DD92D8F52F_zps32imjmgq.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hooked wrote: »
    Please don't censor your dog. Spot the signs of a child approaching and duly send them on their way...

In fairness, I wouldn't see any huge issue with the OP gently conditioning her Pom to like wearing a muzzle, if there is a chance that her dog could bite a child. I'd rather have a muzzled dog than a dead one. If wearing a muzzle keeps children away, it makes for a happier dog as well as a more reassured owner. It's not censorship of the dog as long as it's introduced properly.
    It's really not always that easy to stop children from approaching dogs: I will be stern with children when I have to, but not everyone finds it that easy.
    OP, if you're going down the muzzle route, get one that contrasts clearly with the colour of your wee dog so that it can be clearly seen from a distance, thus giving the parents a clear sign that their child should not approach your dog.
    Only use a basket-style muzzle, not a tubular fabric one. Here's a nice video that shows you how to quickly train your dog to happily accept the muzzle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjPpXer8IE

You do need to be aware that your dog is vulnerable around other dogs if she's muzzled, so you may have to use it judiciously depending on what circumstances you find yourself in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The Yellow Ribbon idea is great. I wish it was more widely known, perhaps even taught in schools.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree DBB. If there's one thing I abhor, it's changing something about my work practice, dog walking or general day-to-day behaviour... To suit someone else's shortcomings or inability.

I know the muzzle can be introduced and used properly... But I simply wouldn't entertain it in this case.

To me, it would be akin to crossing the street if a group were up ahead. I'd sooner let out a shout and tell a few kids to mind themselves or steer clear, than change my route or muzzle a dog to appease them.

But, I do take on board - others may not be as confrontational and hard nosed as I. And for them, a muzzle is a happy medium.

The last time I shouted to a child to stay away from her I was abused by the parent! So I would rather avoid the public confrontation and enjoy a relaxing walk with my dog, personally I do not like the idea of muzzling her but I would rather do this than she bite a child and end up being put to sleep.

Just to clarify she is'nt an agressive dog in general she is very friendly when people approach her properly, its just she is very nervous around loud children and a frigthened dog could bite.

Yes I agree with Dubl07 the yellow ribbon is a great idea but the average person does'nt know what it means because people are'nt educated in these things.

I think appropriate behaviour around animals should be taught in schools, I'm sure less children would receive bites if they knew how to behave correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm undecided about the yellow ribbon scheme. Not enough people know about it, so not sure it is effective, and I would also worry that if there was an incident, having the yellow ribbon on your dog, you have acknowledged in public that your dog may be aggressive. I wonder how that would play if it ended up in a court case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Has anyone else experienced similar problems or is it just the area I live in?

Lough Gur is really popular with families with small kids, and there isn't a lot of room to spread out. That's probably it. Not saying you shouldn't bring your dog there - far from it! - but personally I steer clear of places where families congregate on a sunny day, when I want to walk the dogs somewhere nice, or else I go there in the off-season, or at an anti-social hour. There's always someone with an objection, no matter if your dogs are on leads and impeccably behaved - and you're walking around with your hand already gloved in a poop bag for fear they do their business! :D

There are FABULOUS walks not too far away in the Ballyhouras that are popular for walking with your dogs, and you'd hardly meet a soul. Well, I'm anti-social anyways so I prefer to enjoy our walk in peaceful solitude. :D

I am thinking a muzzle might be the safest thing...

For the children? Most definitely. :D

Seriously though, I understand where you are coming because my reactive, nervous nelly dog had toddlers run at her full-tilt on more than one occasion while the parents looked on... Like Hooked, I had to stop them in their tracks because she most definitely would have snapped at them. Very scary. There should be leash laws for toddlers. Or parents. Or both.:D

There are FABULOUS walks not too far away in the Ballyhouras that are popular for walking with your dogs, and you'd hardly meet a soul. Well, I'm anti-social anyways so I prefer to enjoy our walk in peaceful solitude. :D

I must look into these walks in the Ballyhouras, it would be great to be able to walk her and relax at the same time, at the moment I have to take her either early in the morning or late in the evening and when the clocks change walking in Lough Gur late won't be an option.

boomerang wrote: »
    For the children? Most definitely. :D

Seriously though, I understand where you are coming because my reactive, nervous nelly dog had toddlers run at her full-tilt on more than one occasion while the parents looked on... Like Hooked, I had to stop them in their tracks because she most definitely would have snapped at them. Very scary. There should be leash laws for toddlers. Or parents. Or both.:D

Parents think they can let their children do what they want and its the dog that will end up suffering the consequences for them not controling their children.

I must look into these walks in the Ballyhouras, it would be great to be able to walk her and relax at the same time, at the moment I have to take her either early in the morning or late in the evening and when the clocks change walking in Lough Gur late won't be an option.

+1 on walks around the Ballyhouras, there is no limit to the number of lovely walks you can do, and in solitude too! It's a great spot... just keep off the (fantastic) mountain biking trails, stick to the forest roads.
    Lough Gur is lovely, but yeah, wayyy too many people to have any sort of peace and quiet :o

I'm in Limerick and for a few years now we've taken our holidays in the Ballyhouras, for the sake of the dogs. :) The walks are just amazing. Have a look at the Coillte Outdoors website and also Ballyhoura Tourism.

My favourites are Glenanaar, the Keale River walk, the Darragh Hills walk and, for something more strenuous, a hike up Seefin (short but steep). Griston Bog in Ballylanders is lovely and never busy. The walks are short though. The local animal (mod edit) sanctuary (between Garryspillane and Kilfinane) have just developed beautiful walks around their 25 acre grounds - and no one is going to complain about your dog there. :D Oh and on a weekend you could go down to Glengarriff woods, between Mitchelstown and Cahir. It's just beautiful. That's on the Coillte site as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have to say we are always down in Lough Gur with our Bichon and never had any hassle. There are always tons of dog walkers down there. We do notice not everyone is on the same page when it comes to scooping the poop which is annoying, as you know dogs like to investigate these things ;)

Did have one instance when he was a puppy of a little girl jumping on a bench screaming. He was about four inches tall at the time it was ridiculous even for a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Vel wrote: »
    Yes, try owning a lurcher and greyhound!

I presume people talk to you about the greyhound and lurcher negatively??

I've a whippet myself and people often come over to ask questions but not once was it in a negative sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You can get dog coats that say "please do not touch the dog" or "I am not friendly" or whatever the issue is. I know I came across loads on a website recently (most likely ebay). But that way people don't need to be educated on the yellow ribbon scheme and you don't have to muzzle the dog etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ashbx wrote: »
    You can get dog coats that say "please do not touch the dog" or "I am not friendly" or whatever the issue is. I know I came across loads on a website recently (most likely ebay). But that way people don't need to be educated on the yellow ribbon scheme and you don't have to muzzle the dog etc.

Save your money because people don't give a crap. My dog had 3 ribbons and an inflatable collar and I still had to tell (not ask) people to get their dog away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

tk123 wrote: »
    Save your money because people don't give a crap. My dog had 3 ribbons and an inflatable collar and I still had to tell (not ask) people to get their dog away from him.

Ha, well then they deserve to get bitten! :)

My favourites are Glenanaar, the Keale River walk, the Darragh Hills walk and, for something more strenuous, a hike up Seefin (short but steep). Griston Bog in Ballylanders is lovely and never busy. The walks are short though. The LAW sanctuary (between Garryspillane and Kilfinane) have just developed beautiful walks around their 25 acre grounds - and no one is going to complain about your dog there. :D Oh and on a weekend you could go down to Glengarriff woods, between Mitchelstown and Cahir. It's just beautiful. That's on the Coillte site as well. :)

This is really helpful! I will take her on some of these walks, was'nt aware the local animal welfare group (mod edit) developed walks around the sanctuary, that would be ideal.

wingnut wrote: »
    Have to say we are always down in Lough Gur with our Bichon and never had any hassle. There are always tons of dog walkers down there.

Your one of the lucky ones to not have hassle in Lough Gur, it has been one incident after the other my dog seems to be a magnet for children! I also know other people who have had similar issues there.

This is really helpful! I will take her on some of these walks, was'nt aware local animals welfare group (mod edit) developed walks around the sanctuary, that would be ideal.

They are brand new and absolutely gorgeous, lovely views too and of course you get to enjoy all the sanctuary (mod edit) animals too - horses, donkeys, ponies, pigs, goats and the dogs of course. :) You can also continue walking up the laneway from the sanctuary (mod edit) entrance as far as you like, no traffic, no other walkers really and the views from the top are spectacular.

Let me know if you need directions to any of the walks I mentioned. They really are fab. Limerick is beautiful. :)

Hi folks,
    I've had to remove your references to the animal welfare group you're discussing, because it's against the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I used to be tormented with Henry when I still lived in Dublin. I lived quite close to the city centre so it was always really busy when we were out walking and I used to bring him to the phoenix park a lot too so we always met lots of people. I became known as the grumpy dog lady because I got to the point where I used to just ignore the local kids or tell them to go away. They used to absolutely torment Henry. If they saw us coming up the road you'd hear them screeching a mile away, they'd all start running down the street together (there wouldn't be any less than 5 or 6 of them) and they'd frighten the crap out of Henry with all their carry on.
    In the beginning I used to be polite and ask them not to do x or y but they did it anyway.
    I trained Henry from a young age to sit if someone approached him, particularly someone with a dog, it was just easier because people were so intimidated by his size. So one day we were walking up the street and the kids came running and screeching along and Henry sat down and one of the kids went to sit up on his back, I saw red, said "up" to Henry, he got up and the kid fell backwards and started roaring crying. I told the lot of them not to come near me again. I had had enough of them anyway and Henry was never a big fan of kids in general and certainly didn't like how loud they were. A few times after that they chanced their arms coming over to me and I just told them to go away and eventually they gave up on me.

I have had people react negatively to all of my dogs though, big and small, some people just aren't dog people.
    I dread to think of the faces I pull when a child approaches me :pac:

Advertisement