Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cv's for subbing work post-primary

Options
  • 23-09-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all!

I am just about to send out C.V's for subbing work in secondary schools and just had a few questions.

First of all, am I late to the game only doing this in October? I am in the Dublin area and terrified I wont get any work.

Secondly, when sending around C.V.'s should I add in a cover letter if it's just for subbing?

Also, should I mention I have a car, would this help me at all? And if so, how should I phrase it?

And will adding a picture to the C.V. help at all?

Thanks! And if you have any other hints and tips it would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Have you just done the Dip or have you got some experience? If you have experience, I'd put emphasis on that.

As for having a car, I'd be sure to say something like that you can be at the school at short notice or mention that you live locally if appropriate. DP's like to know that there is a sub who can come in at quickly and at short notice when they need cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Go at around 8.40 tomorrow to your most local school. You could get lucky and they might need someone for the day, and you just step in. Doubt you're too late, yeah some schools might have a cohort of subs, but others might have tried a couple out and they were dire. So there could still be places.
    I'd definitely add a cover letter, with the principal's name if possible!
    Under 'additional qualifications' or 'extra information' if you have it on your CV, say 'I hold a full, clean driver's license'. They will know what that really means!
    I wouldn't add a photo, personally. But that is just a personal preference thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mcgowak3

Thanks for all the information! I actually just got a call there for subbing and I haven't even put out CVs yet, this makes me hopeful!

However, now I've a whole new set of questions!!

What do I need to bring for a day of substitution? I don't have my resources with me in Dublin as I've recently moved house.

Should I have a set of lessons planed for the higher and lower years? I don't know what years or subjects I will be supervising and I want to make a good impression!

Also it may be a rough school, how can I discipline them when they know I'll only be there for a day or so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mcgowak3 wrote: »

Also it may be a rough school, how can I discipline them when they know I'll only be there for a day or so?

Even 'rough' schools have procedures and many of them follow them better than those in other places. Learn the local discipline procedures and follow them. If it means staying in to hold a detention every night of your first week, so be it, you won't have to do it much after that.

Advertisement