Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinectless Xbox One making noise

• 23-09-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Got a kinectless xbox in argos the other day and there's a grinding/buzzing noise coming from it, sounds like its coming from the hdd. My friend also got one from argos and it had the same noise coming from it, he brought it back today and the new xbox had the same problem. From looking online it seems that the problem might be caused by not having a kinect plugged in as this causes problems with how the xbox consumes power as when you start playing a game the noise stops.

I brought mine back today to argos but they won't have a new xbox in stock for a few days so I don't know if its a problem with the xboxs that are being sold without kinect or if argos have got a bad batch in cause so far 3 consoles have had a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

mailrewop wrote: »
    Got a kinectless xbox in argos the other day and there's a grinding/buzzing noise coming from it, sounds like its coming from the hdd. My friend also got one from argos and it had the same noise coming from it, he brought it back today and the new xbox had the same problem. From looking online it seems that the problem might be caused by not having a kinect plugged in as this causes problems with how the xbox consumes power as when you start playing a game the noise stops.

I brought mine back today to argos but they won't have a new xbox in stock for a few days so I don't know if its a problem with the xboxs that are being sold without kinect or if argos have got a bad batch in cause so far 3 consoles have had a problem.

That's very strange now lad. I have my kinect unplugged a lot of the time after moving xbox from 1 room to the other and can't be arsed plugging it in and don't get any strange noises or problems from not using it :S

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone had a thread on this before. It seems to be a common enough problem and happens when the system updates when it's switched on for the first time, the kinect not being there seems to mess it up for some reason. Microsoft can repair it as far as I know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Seems to be an issue with a lower level of power being drawn without Kinect.

Microsoft will replace it for you. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

I'm going to try a second one from Argos just waiting for them to get more stock in, I'm in the only place in Ireland where Argos don't have any stock :pac:
    Was just wondering if it was a common problem with the Xbox one that didn't have a kinect plugged in or if it was just a bad batch that Argos had gotten because a friend of mine got an Xbox a day after I got mine and both that Xbox and his replacement had that noise but someone else I know had no problem with their Xbox they got in Argos, luck of the draw I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Never send them back to Microsoft when you can walk into your local retailer and walk out with a new xbox.

I know a few people that experienced the noise and they brought it back to get replaced in their local Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone had a thread on this before. It seems to be a common enough problem and happens when the system updates when it's switched on for the first time, the kinect not being there seems to mess it up for some reason. Microsoft can repair it as far as I know.
    +1

Got one from Argos the other day too, made noise when updating, hasn't since.

Never send them back to Microsoft when you can walk into your local retailer and walk out with a new xbox.

I know a few people that experienced the noise and they brought it back to get replaced in their local Argos.

I'm only concerned that it will get replaced with another faulty one as that what happened to my friend. He could have been just unlucky but so far between us we have gone through 3 Xbox Ones that have had the same problem.

I got that deal in Argos for the xbox one and 2 games for €379 and I don't really want to get my money back and buy it somewhere else as I think it's too good of an offer, I'll just have to wait and see how my replacement goes.

Use it for a couple of hours and see how it goes. I'm really sensitive about buzzing/noise coming from electrical stuff, I definitely noticed this from the Xbox One when I first switched it on (for around 15-20 mins) but haven't heard it since.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe if you buy a kinect it could fix the issue? you can get them second hand from CEX for €28. I bought a kinectless console but I got a 2nd hand kinect beforehand since they were so cheap, I was also a bit weary of this issue so wanted to be safe.

I had no interest in kinect but now I have one I think they're great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This thread would put me off getting a replacement from Argos tbh - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057273096

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Myrddin wrote: »
    This thread would put me off getting a replacement from Argos tbh - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057273096

I know one of the gamers from this thread very well who experienced the same issue, went into Argos and walked out with his replacement XB1 that was running quiet.

The noise is a known issue that Microsoft have acknowledged and stated they will offer replacements. Its not an issue that can develop over time. If you turn on the replacement Xbox and the noise is gone you're good to go.

I am sure there are a lot of updates for a new Xbox One and game installs. Maybe that should be all installed first to see does the sound go after everything is ready to go.

Just the idea of getting faulty replacement after faulty replacement puts me off buying that bundle from Argos. I suppose it's only the negatives you hear though, nobody ever posts up "I bought an Xbox One form Argos and it works" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

I got one in Tallaght the other day, powered up OK but got an update and then the noise started. Low level squeal but highly annoying.
    Returned it to argos Naas got a replacement and this one is fine, much much quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm after pinning down a couple of hundred euro on deposit for one out of Gamestop. The news of this definitely has put me in a heap of doubt that I'll be lucky, as this problem is surfacing a lot more over the last few weeks. (Specifically, since Summer)

I said I'll wait and see how mines goes and if it is a problem, I'll get it replaced. If that doesn't work... I'll take the refund and maybe look into getting it preowned (I'm almost guaranteed a Kinect-accompanied console then). Should have it in the next week and a half or so.

I've just been double checking mine (as mentioned before mine made the same noise when I first got it last week but hasn't since).

It's definitely whisper quiet on the dashboard and in all other situations as far as I can tell. I'm just installing Titanfall from disk now to see if I can recreate it and can only hear the disk drive spinning, no grinding/buzzing whatsoever.

The only time I heard the audible buzzing was when I first turned my Xbox on and it ran through updates, I'm interested to see if it happens again when there's another system update..

Maybe changing some of the system settings has an effect? I have my Chromecast plugged into the HDMI-in port and powered from a USB port at the back. I also have power saving disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I was a bit weary about buying my xbox after 2 of my friends had problems with there with the load buzzing noise. But i also went for the Argos €379.99 deal and traded in my 2 copys of destiny into CEX right away as i had it on the PS4 and it was a poor game all round. Ended up getting dead rising 3 and titan fall there and using the rest of the money on Fifa 15 tomorrow.

Had my 2 friends up in mine and showed them my xbox one and it had a slight buzz but you can barely hear it. They said in there own words its a lot quitter then what they had and they where quite impressed with the quite buzz.

So far anyway i am very impressed with the xbox one as 1 thing that impresses me is how much better the controller is to hold over the PS4 controller.

Got my replacement from Argos today and its the same as the first one, has that buzzing/grinding noise. So between me and two other people I know thats 5 consoles without kinect that have been bought from argos that have the fault. Also got a lend of a kinect to see if that would fix it and it did reduce the noise a little bit but its still there. Guess I'll either bring it back and get a refund in Argos or get in contact with Microsoft.

Got my replacement from Argos today and its the same as the first one, has that buzzing/grinding noise. So between me and two other people I know thats 5 consoles without kinect that have been bought from argos that have the fault. Also got a lend of a kinect to see if that would fix it and it did reduce the noise a little bit but its still there. Guess I'll either bring it back and get a refund in Argos or get in contact with Microsoft.

Was the replacement console sealed etc?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Was the replacement console sealed etc?

Yea it was brand new from what I could see.

Just a final update on this. Brought it back to Argos and the girl that served me said they had got word from Microsoft that there was a faulty batch of Xbox ones. Got a FIFA bundle instead and its working great, no noise coming from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just a final update on this. Brought it back to Argos and the girl that served me said they had got word from Microsoft that there was a faulty batch of Xbox ones. Got a FIFA bundle instead and its working great, no noise coming from it.

Glad you got it sorted. Did you get your bundle from Argos too? I'm getting the same bundle from GS but still skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maldune

Hey lads just got that deal myself from Argos 379.99 and have the buzzing noise is it a simple to just walk into any store with it or should I ring up first to let them know my issue? ive updated the system etc still has noise, I got it in mahon point but live in the city so just wondering is it possible to return to any store or has it got to be the one i purchased it with any feed back would be welcome cheers.

Advertisement