Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy espresso machine descaler in Dublin city centre?

• 23-09-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭

2 questions...

- Where to buy espresso machine descaler in Dublin city centre?

I checked Tesco in Jervis St and nada.

- When do you know your machine needs to be descaled?

Say I use mine every weekend as I usually get a coffee in work during the week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Aldi sell a descaler that I put into the water tank every couple of months and flush it through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I use Cafiza for general cleaning and Dezcal for descaling.

Cafiza you can get in coffee angel. Dezcal I usually need to buy online on ebay or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

okedoke wrote: »
    Aldi sell a descaler that I put into the water tank every couple of months and flush it through.

Is that a regular item on sale, or only specials?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Dezcal I usually need to buy online on ebay or somewhere like that.

I want to get it today or tomorrow. Of course you can get anything online if you are stuck, but I'd like to go to a B&M :)

btw my 2nd question was, how do you know when to descale?

Is the water visibly chalky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I suppose this depends on: How hard is your water?

From what I can see online, dezcal is predominantly citric acid, which you can buy pretty cheaply online and I use for descaling other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I got Gaggia descaler in Brown Thomas a while back.

You won't see anything in the water: it's inside the machine where a layer of limestone is building up that you need to worry about. You get a good idea of how often you need to descale from your kettle: if you get loads of limescale in your kettle, then frequently, hardly any, then rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Clinker wrote: »

Harold's Cross Electrical in, oddly enough, Harold's Cross, stock that too. Not exactly city centre but it might be handy for you.

Clinker wrote: »

You won't see anything in the water: it's inside the machine where a layer of limestone is building up that you need to worry about. You get a good idea of how often you need to descale from your kettle: if you get loads of limescale in your kettle, then frequently, hardly any, then rarely.

Cool i'll check it out there tomorrow. I imagine it's overpriced but i've never been into BT so curious to see what it's like and get an earful of the accents royght ;)

Checked my kettle. No scale whatsoever, also my water gets very sudsy when washing up so I imagine i've got soft water.

So assuming soft water, and using the machine a few times at weekends only are we talking of descaling approx once every 6 months?

This article recommends descaling after approx 300 uses. It's related to nespresso machines but i imagine it could be relevant as my machine takes both ground and nespresso capsules

https://www.hilinecoffee.com/blogs/news/2014/01/19/descaling-your-nespresso-machine/

So if that's the case 300 uses would be over a year for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Would citric acid mixed in water work??

Glebee wrote: »
    Would citric acid mixed in water work??

Probably, but I'd prefer to play it safe and get the "purpose made" stuff.

Don't want to damage the thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

mrcheez wrote: »
    Probably, but I'd prefer to play it safe and get the "purpose made" stuff.

Don't want to damage the thing!

Know what you mean, im going to chance the citric acid next time on mine, low dosage though. What can go wrong....(Famous last words)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have an issue with a DeLonghi - in that the steamer doesn't work as well ... gone back under warranty, but they reckon it's limescale and needs to be cleaned - only 5 months old, and machine prompts you to descale which I did.

Read somewhere that putting water through a Brita jug will remove a lot of lime .. planning on doing that before filling the machine in future.

Can get DeLonghi descaler on Amazon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I do that but I very rarely change the Britta filter !

Lenehans (Capel St) sorted me out eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Any known alternatives to the Nespresso descaler?

Cant see much online and the ones that are there have no measurements/quantities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

mrcheez wrote: »
    Lenehans (Capel St) sorted me out eventually :)

What they sell you? How much?

I've been using citric acid but I've read even small amounts can be harsh without the right buffer (included in the brand name specific descalers).

James_R wrote: »
    What they sell you? How much?

I've been using citric acid but I've read even small amounts can be harsh without the right buffer (included in the brand name specific descalers).

It was around €6 but was out of stock last time I checked. Should be more in soon afaik.

Advertisement