Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acana or Burns dog food

• 23-09-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    i know it seems that this type of question have been asked many time,
    but when i read reviews a lot of people are saying that Burns is great
    and when i read tests there seems to be under average.
    In other words, people are saying "it's great food" and testers says "it's under average".
    But Acana seems to be very high in proteins...
    Thanks for helping guys.
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Acana is by far the better of the two without a doubt; it's one of the few that are really top of the line quality feeds were as Burns is popular but not close on ingredient content (see all that maize/oats/rice) and I'd rate Markus Muhle above it (which is also cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lejeffy

Thanks Nody for that, i'll have a look at Markus Muhle...

Our dog is a rescue dog, the vet thinks she is a mix between a beagle and a lurcher
    she weight 12 kgs, slim and active. She has been neutered.
    Her coat is not as shinny as it could be i think and she is shading a lot all the time.
    She as a sensitive stomach and eats pooh sometimes.

So if we go for Acana we would go for:
    - Acana Light & Fit - or - Acana Chicken and Potato Burbank
    What do you think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Light & fit specifically states "For overweight and obese dogs." so I'd run with Chicken & potato. If it does not agree with her you can also look at Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Nutrivet, Lily's Kitchen or Purizon to mention a few to go with the Markus Muhle recommendation (which several users here have tried and approve of but I know of at least one boardsie which it did not work for and three that swear by it now).

As a rule of thumb you want no maize, maize flour, corn, corn flour and ideally no rice (and if there's rice it should be less than 20%). If you fulfil those you're not going to be wrong as a general rule of thumb (individual dogs may require exceptions to it and not all dogs will take to all brands). Also look at the feeding size recommendations; esp. with the higher quality brands you should feed less (same energy in smaller package) and this can throw you off thinking you're underfeeding (and hence not make it last as long).

Thanks a lot Nody for all that...

Regarding the Markus Mulhe food is it: Markus Mühle NaturNah?
    And if yes where do you buy it?
    Thanks again Nody

lejeffy wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Nody for all that...

Regarding the Markus Mulhe food is it: Markus Mühle NaturNah?
    And if yes where do you buy it?
    Thanks again Nody
    That one and Angus actually but yes NaturNah is the most common one; and Zooplus.ie or .de for larger orders (the german site is cheaper but you need to hit I think it's a 100 EUR to get free shipping) or co.uk for something in between for prices :).

The .ie has higher prices and more limited selection but if you're only order a few small/medium bags may still be worth doing over .de for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Just to add.. It's also worth checking out Simpsons Premium. I switched my fella a few months ago from Orijen to Simpsons. It's slightly cheaper than Acana and very similar ingredients too.
    I feed him the grain free variety as the majority and then mix in a little bit of the chicken/duck/salmon and potato too for a bit of variety.

He's a rescue, a GSD X who's a fussy eater and has a very sensitive tum :o
    I very gradually changed him over to Simpsons with no problems at all. He seems to enjoy it more (although in general he's not a dog to go charging over when his food bowl is put down). The poo's are more solid (sorry has to be said) and he seems more content with himself in general. Good coat etc..

I know from that particular website i linked they were very obliging with free samples of Simpsons too.

Thanks very much Lean, i'll have a look...

Hi all,

Would anybody be interested in buying a
    15 kgs bag of Markus Mulher dog food for €32?

I will order 2 bags and if i order 2 more bags it's free delivery...
    Let me know guys

Sorry it is not Markus Mulher but Markus Mülhe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

lejeffy wrote: »
    Sorry it is not Markus Mulher but Markus Mülhe

Not sure if you noticed but on Zooplus there's a free delivery on two bags of MM option.

• Advertisement

Hi Snowman, i just went on Zooplus and it's €10 extra for the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Never heard of Acana before - using Burns - but the Acana website is frustrating me because my 13kg cocker doesn't fit in either the sub-10kg small or 30kg+ large dog bracket. What gives?

Where can you buy it in b&m in Ireland?

You can buy acana in zoo plus or miscola for example

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Never heard of Acana before - using Burns - but the Acana website is frustrating me because my 13kg cocker doesn't fit in either the sub-10kg small or 30kg+ large dog bracket. What gives?

Where can you buy it in b&m in Ireland?
    Are you looking at the pdf files on their site? Only taking this one as a random example. It's the same information on Zooplus.ie's website. To get to something in between simply multiply the 10kg version with 1.3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The one I didn't look at of course.

Sometimes there's not a direct relationship between weight and food weight. That's why I'd say it should be spelled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I feed my two burns as their main ( they get fish and vegetables too)

Although most things have been great on burns their coats are lovely, teeth white both have buckets of energy ( then they're border collies) I feed them both the same amount though boy dog is considerably skinnier than girl dog. I know burns can kind of keep them skinny - he's 13kg she' s 18kg - the thing is I think she's a bit over - she gets loads of exercise - but since starting on burns about ten months ago she's starting to tell us enough is enough I need a rest - whereas boy can run from early morning till evening!

I'm contemplating changing to something that would fill out him and trim her up but I'm at a loss. It's such a minefield!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Petstop are selling Acana now which is handy. Can't comment on the dog food but we use it for our cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Acana would be the better one its a sister food to Orijen which is an excellent food the only difference is its lower in protein, Canagan Country Game or Canagan Scottish salmon are also excellent, I was feeding Daisy Science Plan but wanted to give her grain free food and her coat wasn't in the best condition while she was eating it. After two weeks of Canagan I saw a huge difference!

Hi all,

Would anybody be interested in buying a
    15 kgs bag of Markus Mulher dog food for €32? plus a free gift at the moment

I will order 2 bags and if i order 2 more bags it's free delivery...
    Let me know guys

Advertisement