Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car overdue NCT by 14 months - If tested now, is it valid from today?

• 23-09-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭

I have a car that is not in use and have decided that I am going to sell it on. Great car and runs well however the NCT expired in July last year. I want to put it in for its NCT before putting it up for sale as I would imagine it will be easier to sell at a half reasonable price if it has that all important certificate.

The question is, is there any backdate due when it comes to putting a car in for an NCT with a cert that has lapsed a long time? The NCT website and FAQ does not seem to answer my query.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

backdated to July last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Your NCT will be valid till next due date.

So assuming car is over 10 years old, and due dates are in July, then once you NCT it, you will get cert valid until July 2015.

Nothing is being backdated - NCT will be valid from day you tested it to next due date.
    Saying that it's backdated indicates, that it makes NCT valid in the past at the time when it wasn't NCT - which it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

there is a thread with similar question here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581399

What year is the car, is it over 10 years and so only getting 1 year NCT's if that is the case I would think it would be backdated to this July so you would get best part of a year out of it.

The NCT did recently bring in changes which allow for changing the date of NCT but from the website (http://www.ncts.ie/customer_service_enhancements_to_nct_july_2014.html) it seems that is only applicable for if it has a valid NCT.

Now if the car is less than 10 years and you get one which is backdated to July 2013, I wonder could you get it NCT'd again straight away ( which it should pass) and that will then reset the NCT due date so you would be able to sell with it have 2 full years NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks for all those very quick answers! The car is 9 years old so either way, it will be due to be tested next year anyway as it will be 10 years old. Glad to learn that it is valid from July of this year though....thought it could have been worse than that. So if I NCT in the next month or so, it will still have plenty of NCT left on it when it comes to selling it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

highdef wrote: »
    Thanks for all those very quick answers! The car is 9 years old so either way, it will be due to be tested next year anyway as it will be 10 years old. Glad to learn that it is valid from July of this year though....thought it could have been worse than that. So if I NCT in the next month or so, it will still have plenty of NCT left on it when it comes to selling it on.
    Since the car is only 9 years old you could nct it now, and it will be tested until july 2015. Then with the new voulantery early testing you could nct it before the end of the year and it will then have 2 years test from the day you nct it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

scrap_man wrote: »
    Since the car is only 9 years old you could nct it now, and it will be tested until july 2015. Then with the new voulantery early testing you could nct it before the end of the year and it will then have 2 years test from the day you nct it.

Thanks for that. Interesting thing that I did not know about! I do hope to have the car before the end of the year however it's still a handy bit of information to know.

Does that mean that in theory I could book a second test as soon as the first test is completed (assuming it passes) for the next nearest date and second time round, get a 2 year cert from that date instead of 10 months or so for the first time round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

I have a car that is not in use and have decided that I am going to sell it on. Great car and runs well however the NCT expired in July last year. I want to put it in for its NCT before putting it up for sale as I would imagine it will be easier to sell at a half reasonable price if it has that all important certificate.

The question is, is there any backdate due when it comes to putting a car in for an NCT with a cert that has lapsed a long time? The NCT website and FAQ does not seem to answer my query.

How long has car been out of use? When was car last serviced or the engine oil changed? When was brake fluid last flushed? What is the health of the battery?

Agree that having an up to date NCT on the car would be useful for selling it but a potential buyer might have lots of questions or concerns about the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Thanks for that. Interesting thing that I did not know about! I do hope to have the car before the end of the year however it's still a handy bit of information to know.

Does that mean that in theory I could book a second test as soon as the first test is completed (assuming it passes) for the next nearest date and second time round, get a 2 year cert from that date instead of 10 months or so for the first time round?

yep, as soon as it passes you can book it in again. I'll be doing it shortly with a car I bought last week. It went through the test 5 weeks ago (was backdated to june) and the engine went about a week later. I should have it running again over the weekend and i'll be booking it in again to get 2 years test on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

scrap_man wrote: »
    yep, as soon as it passes you can book it in again. I'll be doing it shortly with a car I bought last week. It went through the test 5 weeks ago (was backdated to june) and the engine went about a week later. I should have it running again over the weekend and i'll be booking it in again to get 2 years test on it

Eh, you're sort of proving the point I made in my last post.

Advertisement