Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would the HSE deal with an Ebola outbreak in Ireland?

• 23-09-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

How would the HSE deal with an Ebola outbreak in Ireland?

Stage1
    Have a crisis meeting

Stage 2
    Get the public health care “consultants” in the write up a report on crisis

Stage 3
    Have another meeting

Stage 4
    Terms of reference of report have still not been decided upon. Time for another meeting.

At this stage the disease is spreading rapidly. Schools are closing. Hospitals are inundated. Air and seaports have been closed. Quarantine hospitals have been set-up.

Stage 5
    Bring in the PR experts to run a PR campaign. This would tell us really useful advice like “wash you hands well” and watch out for “flu-like symptoms”. Free HSE-branded rubber gloves and HSE glossy booklets handed out to curtail the virus.

Stage 6
    PR campaign is now running. HSE claim that they have the epidemic under full control. In the meantime an army of legal eagles are hired (paid courtesy of tax payer) for advice on how to handle epidemic.

Stage 7
    Have another meeting.

Stage 8
    There is a public outcry from the Irish (i.e. Joe Duffy’s switch is lit up like Christmas tree)

Stage 9
    Early retirements from high-level HSE executives. However, they leave with golden handshakes.

Stage 10
    An “independent” report gets released saying that there were “catastrophic failures” in the way the HSE handled the crisis. But nobody is held accountable or gets fired. Loads of Prime Time specials on the catastrophe.
    Thousands dead.

God help Ireland if Ebola ever reaches our shores.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like the Pandemic computer game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Iodine Tablets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

They'll send out those iodine tablets again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sounds like the Pandemic computer game.

All move to Madagascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well this sounds like its gonna be a thread full of factual and well reasoned theories

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

They'd send out those face masks you see the Chinese wearing all of the time to help with the smog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Purple Calpol for all. Red if it gets really serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Flat 7up and toast with no butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Everyone would go back to mass. It'd be like t'olden days again, everyone kinda scared, together in an enclosed space praying away... shaking hands.. coughing.. sneezing.. what could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

People will present themselves at A&E. Public notice will go out due to winter vomitting bug can the general public not present themselves at A&E. Sorted where's my 950,000 euro a year to fix that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. De hospitals would get fierce busy. Ye'd have to bring yer own trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Probably really well. The foot and mouth disease preventive plans were extreme and worked. Every where had the disinfection mats and they worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

The HSE will sacrifice 100 virgins daily to appease the great god RA in the hope that he rescinds his curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

jetsonx wrote: »
    How would the HSE deal with an Ebola outbreak

By doing what they're good at - cutting critical front line staff, while increasing the clipboard carriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Soap - and no contact with bodily fluids of anyone suspected to be infected or in contact with anyone infected.

(All this assumes no mutations from present strain.)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Sudocreme for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

They'd google the bejaysus out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

One lad would come in with it, the isolation unit would be full of cleaning gear and broken machines, so off to the waiting room with him. "The waiting Room" - the cure for all that ails you. Everyone in the waiting room dies - HSE herald it as a "great success".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Strips of carpet soaked in dettol in all public spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's an island. I wouldn't worry about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I could just picture the hospitals all being over crowded, and undermanned, having to wait long hours to be seen, and just very intense. I'd rather be dead than deal with that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

The CDC is probably head hunting you right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I would say anything over 100 cases maybe less would probably cripple our health services. we dont have enough hospitals to be able to deal with one or more being closed for a prolonged period of time or being put under quarantine. we need to watch this closely. very closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A few aspirin tablets and sure we be grand...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

jetsonx wrote: »
    God help Ireland if Ebola ever reaches our shores.
    Don't forget the iodine tablets!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They'd obviously liaise with the government to set up an Ebola Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

I remember they sent us anti radiation pills before for some reason.What was that about.
    I assume they will send every house a leaflet made by printers out side the country telling us we need to wash our hands with fairy washing up liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

They'd nuke the entire country from orbit. Only way to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Let's have a mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Probably deny it and wait for the repercussions to be dragged out in a court case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

If anything does go wrong nobody will be responsable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

They just say "What the **** is ebola?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Foot and mouth mats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGboWGna39Y
    I can only imagine the HSE meetings would be a little something like this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

They will find a way to tax us. A Ebola stealth tax.To go with the water and house tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Riddle101 wrote: »
    ...the hospitals all being over crowded, and undermanned, having to wait long hours to be seen...

Yeah, but what would happen if there was an Ebola outbreak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They'd put you on a diet of cream crackers and After Eights, or anything else they can slide under the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I know nothing about Ebola. Therefore I will lead the team of consultants created to tackle the problem slowly and over budget. If I screw up and half of the country dies we will not be held accountable and be able to resign with full pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Yeah, but what would happen if there was an Ebola outbreak?

Then we'd be like zombies...... dead men walking.

no man that made me laugh so hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There was a thread elsewhere on the board about the advice given to Irish citizens in the event of a nuclear war. One of the key directions was to "turn your back" to the nuclear blast.

I'm not entirely confident our ebola advice wouldn't amount to much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

jamesbere wrote: »
    All move to Madagascar

But what if they've closed the shipyards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Lessons will have to be learned.

Advertisement