Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you get measured for your bra-size?

• 23-09-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Since my post here on going down two bra-sizes, I've now gone down in a cup-size.
    I haven't had my bra-size measured in months, but recently felt even with the 'newer' smaller sizing they still were not sitting as they should. Went shopping today as a pick-me-up and got sized up again and she measured twice to be sure as I was so surprised. I tried on a few different types of bras in-store to compare and yes, I've gone down an entire cup size, and then some.

How often do you get yourself measured to ensure you're wearing the correct size-bra?
    On the plus size for me after buying more lingerie in my new size, was the flattering mirror in the changing-room showing the rewards of my exercise-regime.

So, how often do you get yourself measured to ensure your're wearing the correct bra-size?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I've got measured about 3 times in my life and I'm 25. I should probably get it done more frequently, but my size never really seems to change. And I am quite small (34A). Might get it done though in the next few weeks as it has been a few years at this stage, thanks for reminding me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Every 6-12 months or if my weight has varied by more than around 3-4kg. Last fitting was in Bravissimo in August and it put me up one band size and down two cup sizes from what I had been in before (went from 30GG/H to 32FF/G), I had lost 5kg between that fitting and my previous one and I had gained muscle in my upper body from regular swimming.

Worked out well though, the Panache Envy I walked out with is like a second skin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

I've never been measured in my life. That's so bad.

Where would you recommend I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Most department stores like debenhams will measure you- it's important. You'll be more comfortable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Go to www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits

Read all the info on the sidebar, and then measure yourself and put your measurements into the calculator. It's very accurate, as you're not at risk of being measured in a shop that doesn't measure correctly.

I check my measurements about twice a year, but they rarely fluctuate. I'd need to gain or lose a significant amount of weight to affect my boobs, oddly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Was in breast check today for work placement and the nurse in there told me that nothing bothers her more than seeing women coming in with underwire in their bras. She said that metal should not be so close to our chests and that they should be for a night out only. She said to mainly wear ones with no underwire or a sports bra if you're small chested. Have to say she really hit home with me hearing her speak and after work I went straight to dunnes and picked up some sports bras that I'll wear anymore. I'm small chested so I don't need much support. Just thought I'd pass on her words.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What's bad about underwire bras, with having metal close to your chest?

Twee. wrote: »
    What's bad about underwire bras, with having metal close to your chest?

She just said that there's glands there that need draining and the metal from the bras can prevent this from happening. Maybe she was exaggerating I don't know but she was pretty convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Underwires don't sit on breast tissue in a correctly fitting bra - completely negating that issue.

Underwires don't sit on breast tissue in a correctly fitting bra - completely negating that issue.

Ya she did mention women coming in with ill fitting bras. Nevertheless I bought some sports ones anyway, very comfortable and handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

Like Faith I use abrathatfits 5 measurements to measure myself and do so everytime I want a new bra I guess. Whenever I buy a new bra I bring around 4 sizes in with me and now that I really know what to look for in terms of fit, I notice any changes in my size straight away.

its great because I really feel like I understand bra sizes now. I was wearing a 38B from pennys before and thought there was no way I could be 'big' enough to wear a C cup. Yeah I now wear a 30E or 32DD depending on the brand. cup sizes mean nothing without the band size!

Also the metal next to your skin thing is complete rubbish and it's scary that someone in a position of authority on health would believe that. Well-fitting underwires can be very comfortable and supportive even for smaller busts.

Ooh well excuse me for hearing some advise and wanting to pass it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I get measured whenever I feel a change, I think it tends to be about once a year. I usually go to M &S to get measured but find the likes of Penneys true to size. I am not huge (a 34D) so I don't quite need the thicker straps and backs on the more expensive bras.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I get measured every time I buy new bras, which is a couple times a year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hate the talk about bra underwires - I'm a plus-size bra wearer, and non-wired bras give me rubbish support. They just can't hold up the weight of my chest, if I didn't wear strong bras my back would be in agony.

As for measuring, I now keep track of my own measurements but generally when I buy bras I'll take in a couple of sizes in with me to try, and buy by which fits best when I do my changing room dance :pac: jumping up and down, bending over, that kind of craic etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Since my post here on going down two bra-sizes, I've now gone down in a cup-size.
    I haven't had my bra-size measured in months, but recently felt even with the 'newer' smaller sizing they still were not sitting as they should. Went shopping today as a pick-me-up and got sized up again and she measured twice to be sure as I was so surprised. I tried on a few different types of bras in-store to compare and yes, I've gone down an entire cup size, and then some.

How often do you get yourself measured to ensure you're wearing the correct size-bra?
    On the plus size for me after buying more lingerie in my new size, was the flattering mirror in the changing-room showing the rewards of my exercise-regime.

So, how often do you get yourself measured to ensure your're wearing the correct bra-size?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I'm pretty sure I need to get measured again. I don't know what's happened, but I've definitely shrunk! I originally was a 34C, and when I got measured in M&S in Dublin (AGES ago), they said I was only a 34B! Now its feels as though my bra cups are gaping a bit more, and I think I'm going to get measured soon to see if I need a new size. I don't think an A cup will fit though, they look so tiny! I definitely need to be measured though, it really has been a good few years! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What actually happens when you get fitted for a bra? I'm thinking somewhere like M&S because Debenhams bras seem really expensive (I honestly just don't have that much money.) How do you initiate the sizing? Who do you go up to? What's the process from there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What actually happens when you get fitted for a bra? I'm thinking somewhere like M&S because Debenhams bras seem really expensive (I honestly just don't have that much money.) How do you initiate the sizing? Who do you go up to? What's the process from there?

I feel the same way. I don't really know where to go to get measured, and Debenhams is the only real department store where I live in Tralee, although there is Shaws, but their bras seem so expensive too! If I wasn't under any obligation to buy, then it would be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A lot of places like debenhams and marks and Spencer's can't measure properly for larger bra or cup sizes. Both told me I was a miles off my actual size- no I didn't buy from them.

It's a pity more women don't check their bra size properly as a well fitted comfortable bra makes everything from your shape to your clothes feel better.

I saw a post on boards a while ago where a woman was saying how she was a size 10 with 40DD boobs. Which isn't possible- either she's not a 10 or her bra size is miles out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I get measured in m and s or Ann summers. You just go to the woman in the fitting rooms and ask her if you can get measured. They will ask you what kind of styles you like and get you a selection to try on to make sure they got it right.

I never feel under obligation to buy anything, I often dont have the money on me but sometimes go back or buy in the sale. You do really need yo try them on once they measure, I went from a 36c to a 34 d. I think I confused the woman because my bust looks a lot smaller then it is but she got it right once the bras went on :)

• Advertisement

shalalala wrote: »
    I get measured in m and s or Ann summers. You just go to the woman in the fitting rooms and ask her if you can get measured. They will ask you what kind of styles you like and get you a selection to try on to make sure they got it right.

I never feel under obligation to buy anything, I often dont have the money on me but sometimes go back or buy in the sale. You do really need yo try them on once they measure, I went from a 36c to a 34 d. I think I confused the woman because my bust looks a lot smaller then it is but she got it right once the bras went on :)

that's good to know! I have a feeling I'll be told I'm not a 34B anymore, I think I might even be a 32 whatever now...I just feel as though I have shrunk a lot!! I will have to get measured when I come back from hols. I am sick of my bras gaping & slipping over my b**bs LOL:D

then I'll probably end up getting pregnant and have them double in size LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

[quote="shalalala;92452088"
    I went from a 36c to a 34 d. I think I confused the woman because my bust looks a lot smaller then it is but she got it right once the bras went on :)[/quote]

36C and a 34D are more or less the same size. They are called sister sizes as they hold the same volume.

You could be one size in one designer and the other in a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I think Marks and Spencer are rubbish. I got measured there twice, once when I was 16 and the second time about 2 years later. Both times they told me I was a 36B. I have always been a size 8-10, and have a small frame, but apparently I was a 36 inch back size. But sure I believe them so wore the bras in that size anyway.

Then got measured in Debenhams a few years ago and the lady couldn't believe I was wearing a 36B! She measured me and put me between a 32A and 34A. Sometimes I can be a B cup depending on the bra. Now when I try on the old 36B bras I can't believe I wore them, way too big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Just as an aside, I've often found Debenhams cheaper than M&S because they do two packs, in sales I've got them for under €20 for two. They also fit me better than M&S but that's just me. Just cos you get measured doesn't mean you have to buy anything, but the abrathatfits subreddit that Faith posted is better than any fitting I've ever had.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I don't really know where to go to get measured, and Debenhams is the only real department store where I live in Tralee, although there is Shaws, but their bras seem so expensive too! If I wasn't under any obligation to buy, then it would be ok!

There's absolutely no need to get measured anywhere other than your own home. It's easier, quicker and more accurate to do it yourself. All the steps you need to follow are here, including a very handy calculator so you don't even need to calculate your own size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just as an aside, I've often found Debenhams cheaper than M&S because they do two packs, in sales I've got them for under €20 for two. They also fit me better than M&S but that's just me. Just cos you get measured doesn't mean you have to buy anything, but the abrathatfits subreddit that Faith posted is better than any fitting I've ever had.
    I've tried that method and got 32dd. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I am nowhere near dd cup. I got measured in an independent shop and bought two perfectly fitting bras size 34C. I spent a bit more for two bras than I would be usually comfortable (80 euros) but they fit me perfectly and give me great shape.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I've tried that method and got 32dd. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I am nowhere near dd cup. I got measured in an independent shop and bought two perfectly fitting bras size 34C. I spent a bit more for two bras than I would be usually comfortable (80 euros) but they fit me perfectly and give me great shape.

Out of curiousity, have you done any research into correct fits? I didn't believe it either when my size changed from 34DD to 32G, but after reading into correct fitting, I realised there were a myriad of things wrong with the fit of the 34DD. My breast tissue was spilling out as underarm fat*, my boobs were sagging slightly from the looser band, the wires weren't wide enough in the cups and more breast tissue was being squashed rather than supported, and when I actually pulled all my breast tissue into a 34DD bra, I got quad-boob (and then watched the breast tissue slide back out of my bra because it wasn't the right size).

The cup size can sound massive, but it's not always. Have a look at www.brabandproject.com to see how much each cup can vary depending on the band size. In volumetric terms, a 32DD is the exact same as a 36C.

*'armpit fat' is one of the biggest indicators of an incorrectly fitting bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Faith wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, have you done any research into correct fits? I didn't believe it either when my size changed from 34DD to 32G, but after reading into correct fitting, I realised there were a myriad of things wrong with the fit of the 34DD. My breast tissue was spilling out as underarm fat*, my boobs were sagging slightly from the looser band, the wires weren't wide enough in the cups and more breast tissue was being squashed rather than supported, and when I actually pulled all my breast tissue into a 34DD bra, I got quad-boob (and then watched the breast tissue slide back out of my bra because it wasn't the right size).

The cup size can sound massive, but it's not always. Have a look at www.brabandproject.com to see how much each cup can vary depending on the band size. In volumetric terms, a 32DD is the exact same as a 36C.

*'armpit fat' is one of the biggest indicators of an incorrectly fitting bra.

I'm positive I'm c at least in the brands I bought (pasionata and wonderbra) I have no armpit fat or double boobs and I do swoop and scoop or whatever it is called when putting on bra. When I tried 32dd the cup was not filled, they were too wide at the sides and the band was too narrow (fat bulging at the back around the strap).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I hope ye don't mind me hijacking the thread for a minute but I just heard the Marie Keating foundation are collecting bras (in any condition) - Roche Ireland will donate €1 for every bra donated. Here's a link to the list of collection centres around the country. Just packed up 15 bras that don't fit anymore, so the alert came at the right time for me!
    http://www.mariekeating.ie/give-your-bra-for-brest-cancer.asp#page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've never found a decent bra fitter here in Cork. I've tried both Debs and M&S and both are rubbish.

Usually wait until I go home to London and get Bravissimo to fit me then. Excellent fit every time. I've even been fitted over the phone -And it was spot on!

Advertisement