Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Finished in 3:26:33
    Impressive!

She looked very comfortable, fair play to her, fair bit of media pressure on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Chivito550 wrote: »
    She could be an untrained 3:0x marathon runner who ran within herself to get around for all we know. 3:26 isn't exactly lightning fast.

Her first marathon and I doubt she trained as one could/should. Her sport also asks for a different type of fitness and movement. Seems fairly impressive to me. What I'd like to know is, what could she achieve if she changed sports. But I guess we'll never know the answer to that.

I see from the top 100 women there was a Cork runner by the name of Una Plant. 3:04 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    Her first marathon and I doubt she trained as one could/should. Her sport also asks for a different type of fitness and movement. Seems fairly impressive to me. What I'd like to know is, what could she achieve if she changed sports. But I guess we'll never know the answer to that.

I see from the top 100 women there was a Cork runner by the name of Una Plant. 3:04 I think.

I agree it's impressive. What I meant by the time not being lightning fast was that it is completely possible that she could run that time off limited running training, as she is an elite sportsperson, and 3:26 is not that fast. I disagree with the opinions of some that she would be doing more training than she lets on. She'd probably be close to sub 3 if she trained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It could be the case but would she not have had a drop off in pace over the last 6 miles especially?
    She is of course a top athlete and her legs would be well conditioned but can you hold the same pace over the full distance with your longest run being only 13 miles? Her pace was fairly consistent suggesting she had an idea of what she was capable of over the distance. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It could be the case but would she not have had a drop off in pace over the last 6 miles especially?
    She is of course a top athlete and her legs would be well conditioned but can you hold the same pace over the full distance with your longest run being only 13 miles? Her pace was fairly consistent suggesting she had an idea of what she was capable of over the distance. But who knows.

I was thinking this too. It's the consistency of the splits, rather than the overall time which is really impressive off such limited training.

• Advertisement

Here is some quotes from her after the race. Maybe she has the hidden talent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2014/11/02/caroline-wozniacki-new-york-marathon/18373857/

Nice to see journalistic standards being upheld by USATODAY ;)

"Eight days ago, Wozniacki lost in three sets to Williams, in the semifinals at the WTA Finals in Singapore. That loss ended Wozniacki's season, and instead of taking a typical vacation, she focused on marathon training exclusively to prepare for Sunday's race."

Here is a piece from nbc sports. Note the last line, if it is correct.
    Wozniacki, a two-time Olympian and U.S. Open finalist, ran each of her first 20 miles in under 8 minutes. She said before the race she would be aided by two pace setters.
    Wozniacki’s splits slowed to 8:20, 8:42 and 8:27 in miles 24, 25 and 26 before she finished shortly around 1:10 p.m. in Central Park. Her time easily beat the Boston Marathon qualifying standard of 3:35 for her age group.
    Other tennis players have run the New York City Marathon, but the notables did so after they retired. Wozniacki, 24, is in the middle of her career and finished a tournament in Singapore the previous weekend. She said she didn’t run more than 13.1 miles in training.
    Wozniacki beat three retired tennis professionals’ New York City Marathon times from 2010.
    Former world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo completed the race in 3 hours, 40 minutes, 20 seconds. Former French Open champion Yannick Noah did it in 4:01:38, followed by Justin Gimelstob in 4:09:58.
    Mauresmo also ran the 2012 Paris Marathon in a reported 3:16:49. Japan’s Kimiko Date-Krumm ran the 2004 London Marathon in 3:27.
    Also Sunday, another Olympian, 2010 U.S. Olympic Nordic combined champion Bill Demong, finished the New York Marathon in an unofficial 2:33:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Itziger wrote: »

It is a different type of fitness, but what is similar is the amount of time spent on your feet. I'd guess 3-3.5 hour tennis matches are not that unusual.

Fair play to her anyway. It is interesting if she managed it on the level of running she is saying.

plodder wrote: »
    It is a different type of fitness, but what is similar is the amount of time spent on your feet. I'd guess 3-3.5 hour tennis matches are not that unusual.

Fair play to her anyway. It is interesting if she managed it on the level of running she is saying.

Yeah, I'd say she's definitely capable of much better with proper marathon training. 3-3.5 hour tennis matches would actually be pretty rare in the women's game tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I could well believe she had done so few long runs, at the end of the day she is a top level tennis player so she has the mental strength and capacity to push and believe in herself to do something. Also being a celeb and doing it for charity she probably had a few people pacing her along the way to keep her going. As another poster pointed out its not a super fast time.

groovyg wrote: »
    I could well believe she had done so few long runs, at the end of the day she is a top level tennis player so she has the mental strength and capacity to push and believe in herself to do something. Also being a celeb and doing it for charity she probably had a few people pacing her along the way to keep her going. As another poster pointed out its not a super fast time.

Yeah, she said in her post-race interview that having the camera following her when she was getting tired in the latter stages meant she couldn't walk:

"Once I got onto First Avenue, I had a camera crew following me the whole day, so I couldn't walk. I had to keep running."

Yeah, she said in her post-race interview that having the camera following her when she was getting tired in the latter stages meant she couldn't walk:

"Once I got onto First Avenue, I had a camera crew following me the whole day, so I couldn't walk. I had to keep running."

She looked remarkably fresh afterwards. Not a bead of sweat on her. Granted it was close to zero degrees there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Yeah, I'd say she's definitely capable of much better with proper marathon training. 3-3.5 hour tennis matches would actually be pretty rare in the women's game tbh.
    Probably rare enough. Though, they could easily spend 4-5 hours training every day, on their feet, mostly at low intensity as far the legs are concerned. But, I would have thought the legs would take the pounding from a marathon well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Well Folks,
    Couldn't find any thread or info for this years race so here goes it.....

Is there anyone on Boards heading to New York this November?

Anyone who has previously done this Marathon got any advise they wish to share?

Do's and more so Do Not's would be greatly appreciated

Great run by this guy ^^

He ran DCM on the Monday in 2:57 and then New York on the Sunday in 3:01.

Obviously wearing an MSB vest :)

Anyone in for this next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RossyR

"Anyone in for this next year? "

Yes im doin it next year.
    Was to do it in 2012 so deferred entry til 2015.

Lookin forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone in for this next year?

A friend is planning a trip to NY next year so I've a vague plan to try and enter if the dates match up.

Anyone know how the 'good for age' times work for it?

RossyR wrote: »
    "Anyone in for this next year? "

Yes im doin it next year.
    Was to do it in 2012 so deferred entry til 2015.

Lookin forward to it
    opus wrote: »
    A friend is planning a trip to NY next year so I've a vague plan to try and enter if the dates match up.

I'm also hoping to run in this race. I think it's on the 1st November in 2015.
    opus wrote: »
    Anyone know how the 'good for age' times work for it?

The standards have changed for 2015: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/getting-in/guaranteed-entry-for-2015

My age group requires a sub 2:53 marathon or a sub 1:21 HM. My HM pb qualifies me, but to be guaranteed a place I would have needed to run it in an NYRR race. If there are spaces left over afterwards I may still get in but it's not guaranteed. I suppose it's still a slightly better chance than the ballot though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The standards have changed for 2015: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/getting-in/guaranteed-entry-for-2015

My age group requires a sub 2:53 marathon or a sub 1:21 HM. My HM pb qualifies me, but to be guaranteed a place I would have needed to run it in an NYRR race. If there are spaces left over afterwards I may still get in but it's not guaranteed. I suppose it's still a slightly better chance than the ballot though?

Not quite so strict for me thankfully :) My recent trip to Frankfurt gives me a 10 min cushion, have 'til Jan to think about it in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

When they say "all times run must be at least as fast as the posted time" - will a 2:58:59 qualify you for a 2:58? The half marathon times seem easier to achieve than the marathon times for each age group. Know a few that would easily do a 1:25 HM but would not do a 2:58 Marathon. Is one better to enter using this method rather than ballot when entrys open in January.

Q7 wrote: »
    When they say "all times run must be at least as fast as the posted time" - will a 2:58:59 qualify you for a 2:58? The half marathon times seem easier to achieve than the marathon times for each age group. Know a few that would easily do a 1:25 HM but would not do a 2:58 Marathon. Is one better to enter using this method rather than ballot when entrys open in January.

No idea. Probably best to email them to confirm.
    The HM times are definitely more achievable, but they're both much more lenient for 2015. Last year was sub 2:45 Marathon and sub 1:19 HM.

Reduced qualifying times I think due to more slots available as 3 unsuccessful attempts no longer guarantees you entry to 2015
    "Please note that 2014 was the last year that guaranteed entry was offered under the three times denied provision, and this method of entry is no longer available for 2015".

Also making the qualifying times easier probably means little or no slots for non NYRR-eligible races.

Q7 wrote: »
    Also making the qualifying times easier probably means little or no slots for non NYRR-eligible races.

Yes. Unfortunately for me, the Longford HM doesn't seem to appear in that list :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Great run by this guy ^^

He ran DCM on the Monday in 2:57 and then New York on the Sunday in 3:01.

Obviously wearing an MSB vest :)

Was some week alright Al. Wouldn't change a second of it.

An unbelievable experience. It was estimated that there was 2 million people out on the course supporting. The atmosphere was unbelievable.

50,556 finishers too.

It was cold and windy though. Started with 2 hats, arm warmers and gloves, kept the hat and gloves till mile 25 with me. Had a wonderful race till mile 23 but then with 49race miles in the legs over 6 days I started to cramp in my hammers and hobbled home. I was delighted to have come though the both with no injuries, and a sub 3hr avg

It was some long day with a 4.30am start and finish, you have to celebrate in NYC!!!!.

I would recommend that everyone should experience it once if they can.

I will pay it forward (as I got zero response to my initial question for advise and help:cool::confused:), so if anyone has any questions in relation to the weekend feel free to ask.

I'd love to do this as I really enjoy the city and have visited it a number of times over the years. However, the price is a bit on the scandalous side and I'm guessing it hasn't come down from last year. Was it almost 400 bucks?? It makes for some expensive trip: accommodation, flights, race entry and so on.

Would still love to do it though and being an oldie is a major advantage. Christ, even my hop along Cassidy Frankfurt finish is under the M50 time, which is what I'll be in 2015, though not when I ran that recent marathon. Wonder what the ruling would be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Ah sweet, I had ruled out NYC for my tourist marathon due to the times for 2014. I can certainly squeeze out a sub 1.21 half some time soon. Just not a 1.19 (or 2:45) as was needed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Would love to do it,doubt I'll ever bag a 2:58 full marathon but a 1:25 HM could be doable.
    Is it sub 1:25 or anything up to 1:25:59?

ooter wrote: »
    Is it sub 1:25 or anything up to 1:25:59?
    I sent an email to the organisers and they said any time including this is fine. So 1:25:59 is ok to submit. Its not a guaranteed entry if you run this time in non NYRR-eligible races but I guess you may have better chance that the lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks Q7.
    I'm only 1 minute off 1:25 for the HM,might have a crack at that before the end of the year.

Advertisement