Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suppliers up north?

Options
  • 23-09-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

might be heading up north next week for few days and were in the middle of a new build and wondering is there any savings these days from suppliers up north? right now were bathroom, tile and stairs shopping. we need to be looking for internals doors soon also and of course furniture.
    any recommendations for suppliers for any of the above??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...with Sterling over 20% stronger than the €, I'd be surprised if its worth your while tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gerry1958

I was at the recent self build show in Citywest and was staggered at the number of NI suppliers at the show. Apparently they were of the view that there was a substantial VAT saving exporting to ROI. I am a newbie to all this so just accepted what they said at face value, but on reflection it doesn't seem right but if it is the ROI suppliers must be up in arms. Can anyone throw any light on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

gerry1958 wrote: »
    I was at the recent self build show in Citywest and was staggered at the number of NI suppliers at the show. Apparently they were of the view that there was a substantial VAT saving exporting to ROI. I am a newbie to all this so just accepted what they said at face value, but on reflection it doesn't seem right but if it is the ROI suppliers must be up in arms. Can anyone throw any light on this

VAT in UK, is 17%, down here it's 23% so a small saving on the VAT, outweighed by transport costs, unless you live nearer the border.

You cannot purchase goods for your new house/extention from UK at 0% VAT as you have to be registered for VAT here, and buy the goods in the course of your business, i.e for re-sale, or supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭declan52

Where abouts in NI are you visiting an I can pm you a few places.

martinn123 wrote: »
    VAT in UK, is 17%, down here it's 23% so a small saving on the VAT, outweighed by transport costs, unless you live nearer the border.

You cannot purchase goods for your new house/extention from UK at 0% VAT as you have to be registered for VAT here, and buy the goods in the course of your business, i.e for re-sale, or supply.

VAT rate in UK is 20%, not 17%, that's only 3% less than here.

And if you get someone to buy & fit here (say, kitchens etc), then you only pay 13.5% here, which is less than UK VAT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    VAT rate in UK is 20%, not 17%, that's only 3% less than here.

And if you get someone to buy & fit here (say, kitchens etc), then you only pay 13.5% here, which is less than UK VAT.

Yes you are right, 20% not 17% as I posted! sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

The rate of VAT isn't the issue its if you pay VAT or not.

If you import something from NI and have a VAT number you don't pay VAT so the rate doesn't matter.

Its the same for people doing builds in NI. If you import from the South and have a VAT number you pay no VAT. Even though VAT is refunded on new builds in NI

DeeJunFan wrote: »
    The rate of VAT isn't the issue its if you pay VAT or not.

If you import something from NI and have a VAT number you don't pay VAT so the rate doesn't matter.

Its the same for people doing builds in NI. If you import from the South and have a VAT number you pay no VAT. Even though VAT is refunded on new builds in NI

Incorrect,

you can import goods from NI at 0% VAT, if you have an Irish VAT No, AND you are using the goods in the course of business, for resale or supply.

You cannot import goods at 0% VAT and use them in a new build or renovation, unless you are a contractor and charging the relevant VAT to the homeowner

martinn123 wrote: »
    Incorrect,

you can import goods from NI at 0% VAT, if you have an Irish VAT No, AND you are using the goods in the course of business, for resale or supply.

You cannot import goods at 0% VAT and use them in a new build or renovation, unless you are a contractor and charging the relevant VAT to the homeowner

Ah ok, there must be difference in the VAT between NI and ROI.

suppose as new builds are VAT Free in NI would make the difference.

suppose as new builds are VAT Free in NI would make the difference.

All building in UK is VAT-free.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    All building in UK is VAT-free.

Renovations and extensions are standard rate VAT.

If you are renovating an unoccupied house you may qualify for a reduced rate on some of the work.

Renovations and extensions are standard rate VAT.

If you are renovating an unoccupied house you may qualify for a reduced rate on some of the work.

...sorry, yes, I assumed new-build in my post.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement