Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Around The Horn 2014 - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Patients MM. Im looking forward to it, but also aware of getting a question that stumps me. Looking back over the years theres a few questions that are right head scratchers.

Thats happened to me a lot in the past but think this one is safe enough but still, loads of scope for interesting answers especially in how you would have liked to see the angles played out.

Like the feud question as well as iirc that was me last year who pitched Austin vs Vince and I actually thought it would beat out HBK vs Bret at the time... wrong as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,293 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry for the hold up all

Also Beakerjoe is it ok to send you in some question(s) you might wanna use or tweek for future rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

First answer is up! Looking forward to the debate now!

I thought when Gerry had his answer so quickly he was going to have taken Bret vs Owen on me but then he didn't so I'm happy out! Even when I saw the question last year I had that feud in my head!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the hold up all

Also Beakerjoe is it ok to send you in some question(s) you might wanna use or tweek for future rounds

No worries Liz and pretty sure he has already used a question sent in and said they could be and they were in the past so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No worries Liz and pretty sure he has already used a question sent in and said they could be and they were in the past so...

Exactly send them in. Got a nice few sent in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bret vs Austin and Bret vs Owen are two great shouts. It's the strength and depth of the arguments that are going to win this one for me, as in, who sells their points better. Sometimes you can have your mind made up on the strength of the posters 1st post, not this time. Looking forward to how this one pans out. Bret vs McMahon and Bret vs HBK are also two amazing feuds btw, the man could do personal in a very believable fashion.

The Kevin Steen question is one I'm glad I didn't get. I'm not a massive fan of fantasy booking. Would much rather debate what's already happened or tweak a past occurrence. That said, the storylines for both Fox and Brawley have me intrigued and would enjoy seeing either in real life.

The question for LeeJM vs beakerjoe is a doozy. So much scope to work with. I'm dying to see this one unfold. Think it's safe to say that ATH has kicked off quite well this year.

My post is up! Great question BH

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bret vs Austin and Bret vs Owen are two great shouts. It's the strength and depth of the arguments that are going to win this one for me, as in, who sells their points better. Sometimes you can have your mind made up on the strength of the posters 1st post, not this time. Looking forward to how this one pans out. Bret vs McMahon and Bret vs HBK are also two amazing feuds btw, the man could do personal in a very believable fashion.

The Kevin Steen question is one I'm glad I didn't get. I'm not a massive fan of fantasy booking. Would much rather debate what's already happened or tweak a past occurrence. That said, the storylines for both Fox and Brawley have me intrigued and would enjoy seeing either in real life.

The question for LeeJM vs beakerjoe is a doozy. So much scope to work with. I'm dying to see this one unfold. Think it's safe to say that ATH has kicked off quite well this year.

Bret in 3 of the top 4 feuds ...... Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,293 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well I think I'm pretty much done now BH don't think there is much more I can say, well debated BH ;)

I am very curious now to see how WWE do debut Steen

I literally cant seperate between Liz and BH. Should I flip a coin or abstain!?

• Advertisement

6 matches up, 2 more to go. Legend DIT and Moneymaker and Sin Eater v TBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My rebuttal is up. I apologise for the delay, and the length of the post. I felt it necessary to argue my point though.

Poll up in match 5 and Its gonna come down to the next 2 rebuttals as I cant choose yet. Too close for me

Also match 7 is up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Awesome 7th question. Going to be very interesting what answers are given!.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Poll up in match 5 and Its gonna come down to the next 2 rebuttals as I cant choose yet. Too close for me
    Yeah it's very close. Enjoying the debate so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Had fun thinking up that question and am really looking forward to the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Oh, Moneymaker you made an enemy in me with that answer :pac:

Excellent Question. Looking forward to the debate on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Garseys wrote: »
    Oh, Moneymaker you made an enemy in me with that answer :pac:

Excellent Question. Looking forward to the debate on that one!

Out and about this evening after work - I'll post my answer tonight when I've had a chance to put all my thoughts in order... Should be a fun one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's a gosh darn popularity contest!

Fair play Omackeral and well earned. Best of luck in the rest

For me, I was thinking going the Pennywise route with Doink, though you got in first. So was between Giant Gonzales and The Mountie. So went with the more savageable option.

Of course, I could've won with WCW character in only 3 words.
    "Shockmaster. Don't trip!"

And since I referenced it twice in my posts, I leave you with this to say I'll be back next year

As you may have guessed, I'm a fan. :)

• Advertisement

Have my final rebuttal up now. I want to say thanks to mrkiscool2 for the debates, it's been enjoyable, and quite difficult to say the least. He chose an awesome example for his answer.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Have my final rebuttal up now. I want to say thanks to mrkiscool2 for the debates, it's been enjoyable, and quite difficult to say the least. He chose an awesome example for his answer.

Great debate lads. 2 Great arguments.

In relation to my match with LeeJM, Im going to pop him a PM to make sure he knows hes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

I think I was one of the few (but I forget) to vote for the Mountie ... mostly because in my memory Doink wasn't wrestlecrap! He started out as an evil clown that was pretty damn effective. so effective that he started getting cheers and was forced to become a face.

Also, before he passed on ... Matt Osbourne was portraying Doink with a Dark Knight Joker style, and it wasn't the ... greatest look

doinknow.jpg

Gotta say though enjoying everyone's replies and rebuttels and such. Hope I can keep as high a standard (or even half as high).

I always thought the Doink that appeared in ECW was brilliant, kinda half Matt Borne and half Doink

10.jpg

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Yeah I have my final rebuttal up to. Not a bother, you didn't make it easy anyway! It was good fun though! Yeah, your answer was pretty awesome too! I was tempted to go Triple H-Austin but didn't.

LeeJM hasn't responded to PM and the match hash been up awhile. He has until 10am to post up or aback up will be called upon to replace him. Match 8 will be up tomorrow

Is it Kankan14 up as 1st choice substitute? I have Bounty Hunter in the Quarters, rematch from last year :)

Welp looks like I'm going to be on the receiving end of a hammering. Was always going to be difficult to try and sway people to Owen-Bret when two of the biggest stars of all time were brought up in a single feud. Well done to gerrybbadd, don't want to take anything away from him, debated amazingly and put forward a really good case! Best of luck in the next round!

tumblr_n8e7wtrmNl1tti92co1_400.gif

In all seriousness though fair play Liz, thought you might have my number for a while and was especially worrying ever since I randomly decided to give Steen an inuit name as I thought that may have been a mistake.

Hardest one to vote on so far for me was the Austin/Bret/Owen question but this Internet darling question will be tough too I initially thought Regal was the perfect answer but the last rebuttal for Ziggler was very good, now to see the counter rebuttal change everything again

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Welp looks like I'm going to be on the receiving end of a hammering. Was always going to be difficult to try and sway people to Owen-Bret when two of the biggest stars of all time were brought up in a single feud. Well done to gerrybbadd, don't want to take anything away from him, debated amazingly and put forward a really good case! Best of luck in the next round!

Thank you mrkiscool2 - I'll tell you what, I'm going to be having an Owen vs Bret fest on the Network over the weekend with a few beers and and Indian takeaway!

Advertisement