Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quacks coming to Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Why the hell is this allowed ?!Should be ran out of the country like in US/UK etc . 285 euro per attendee!?Maybe I could start selling bleach too for people to ingest at that rate ?Too many gullible innocent people easily parted from their cash eg "Angel" 'seminars'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

recedite wrote: »
    A "seminar" is apparently due to be held in Moone, east Kildare this Nov. 15th/16th. Be warned that these people attempt to sell industrial strength bleach as a cure for various ailments. In particular, they have approached parents of children with autism/Asperger's syndrome and convinced them that the condition can be cured by force feeding (or as an enema) their bleach solution to the child.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/senator-to-raise-miracle-cure-groups-irish-seminar-in-seanad-287763.html

https://g2cforum.org/index.php/list/mms-seminars/28931-nov-15th-16th-2014-mms-seminar-moone-co-kildare-ireland#47372

Technically this is apparently legal because there is a small amount of very dilute chlorine bleach in tap water anyway. So they can pass themselves off as being in the "water purification" business.

In a previous attempt to promote this quackery they hired out a place in in Avoca Co. Wicklow, but they were not made particularly welcome in the garden county. Over to you now, good people of Kildare.

I wonder where the seminar will be. It's very vague. I don't think it's this place:

www.croianu.ie

Maybe it will be in a private house. Either way, what they're doing sounds dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Emme wrote: »
    I wonder where the seminar will be. It's very vague. I don't think it's this place:

www.croianu.ie

that's about the only place in the area that would be suitable - AND you can hire it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

In fairness, we have homeopaths, angel therapists and other people claiming to cure people with junk science dotted around the county permanently. I even had a mate who had a GP try to refer him to one.

So this should be of no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anyone stupid enough to drink bleach should be Darwined out of the gene pool anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

homepaths etc don't ask you to drink industrial strength bleach though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ken wrote: »
    Anyone stupid enough to drink bleach should be Darwined out of the gene pool anyway.

Problem here is that its often parents being convinced to give it to their kids; who aren't getting any choice in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

For anyone interested in this subject, I'd recommend "trick or treatment" by Singh and Ernst. It's a stunning book.

But on the other hand, "bad pharma" by Goldacre looks at misleading drug companies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Orion wrote: »
    homepaths etc don't ask you to drink industrial strength bleach though.

No, just water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

lordgoat wrote: »
    No, just water.

I'm not defending homeopaths here. It just as nonsensical. But at least they don't ask you to drink poison. That was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Despite not being one who mentioned it here I think its only fair to post reply I got when emailled Croi Anu Centre , Moone last night .

"In response to your email to our web site. The seminar you refer has nothing to do with Croi Anu. It is not and was never scheduled to happen in Croi Anu.
    If you have discussed this with any third party I would ask that you clarify this to them. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Croi Anu Creative Centre"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

2011abc wrote: »
    Despite not being one who mentioned it here I think its only fair to post reply I got when emailled Croi Anu Centre , Moone last night .

"In response to your email to our web site. The seminar you refer has nothing to do with Croi Anu. It is not and was never scheduled to happen in Croi Anu.
    If you have discussed this with any third party I would ask that you clarify this to them. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Croi Anu Creative Centre"

I did say it probably wasn't going to be there as Croi Anu's address isn't Newtown, Moone.

I'm glad I'm not sure where it is on otherwise I might challenge the quacks to drink some toilet duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide and are said to help in keeping cancer at bay so maybe bleach, in small amounts, has something going for it as well. There's a lot of strange stuff in conventional medicine but it's nice to know it has gone through rigorous testing standards and comes with an information leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lordgoat wrote: »
    No, just water.

In fairness to them, they are very effective at dealing with cases of acute mild dehydration.

Joe Public wrote: »
    There's a lot of strange stuff in conventional medicine but it's nice to know it has gone through rigorous testing standards and comes with an information leaflet.

Read the Goldacre book about Bad Pharma. You may be surprised how little testing is done.

Also, read the info leaflet for any "heavy medicines" and you'll get a helpful list of side effects.......some say you may suffer from loss of sleep but then say you may suffer drowsiness. You literally can't win!

And this is from someone who does not believe anything a non-academic "doctor" or quack.

On a superset note, but related to shady medical pronouncements, there are a couple of cases of "Mumps" reported in school going children in Naas. The boycott of the MMR was a foolish lemming reaction to a disgraced "medical expert". But don't get me started on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Would be nice to find out what hotel or business is hosting this for these guys. We could get in touch with them and try to reason why they shouldn't host this.

Failing that, go and protest with information about the dodgy product etc

Would be nice to find out what hotel or business is hosting this for these guys. We could get in touch with them and try to reason why they shouldn't host this.

Failing that, go and protest with information about the dodgy product etc

On the other hand, as we live in a democracy, just leave it up to individuals to go if they want. Otherwise, it's free publicity. If someone wants to drink poison then let them, if they are over 18.

Advertisement