Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting out the ram!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

One week later and more or less finished!
    Belclare got the first half , Suffolk ram lamb second half and beltex working his way through a small number of ewe lambs
    So I'll leave them in for another 3werks for repeats only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

When would in-lamb ewes start to come on the market? And how much do they usaully go for??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Feckthis wrote: »
    When would in-lamb ewes start to come on the market? And how much do they usaully go for??

In lamb ewes already on done deal. Price? - Lots of factors -

Personally, I would only buy in lamb ewes if the mothers were youngish, they were scanned, and they had only a few weeks left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Put the ram out on the 4th to 15 ewes. Changed the raddle on Saturday. He's repeated on one, hopefully thats it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Put out the rams on Sunday. Calendar marked for 20th march next year. Fingers crossed !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Put out the rams on Sunday. Calendar marked for 20th march next year. Fingers crossed !!!

Same here :)

I had a look this morning, and I think I counted around 12 marked so far, but the light was poor, and the yellow raddle is faint enough.
    Not sure I'll bother with more raddle, as I plan to have em all inside well before they lamb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

My new ram is with 5 ewes since I got him, he only tipped the first of them today. Plan to bring the flock home at the weekend. Raddling him will be tremendous fun as he's mad as a bag of frogs and not afraid to run. Bribery, I have found, has little effect on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Con, you could always mark all the ewes different colours and see which ones rub off on him :D

Throw up a picture of him if you get a chance

Con, you could always mark all the ewes different colours and see which ones rub off on him :D

Throw up a picture of him if you get a chance

Two equally crappy photos of him here, that was the day I got him, he wouldn't stand still for one second at all. A bit shorter in the leg than I'd like, otherwise I like him. I was on the look out for a nice brecket ram, but he wasn't to be got.

Fair play on the photos. I will have to take a few of my own. They will be clean in the wool out of him. Nice white pip on the cul too.

Hard to get a good brecked these days, lads just don't breed them.

• Advertisement

Two equally crappy photos of him here, that was the day I got him, he wouldn't stand still for one second at all. A bit shorter in the leg than I'd like, otherwise I like him. I was on the look out for a nice brecket ram, but he wasn't to be got.
    Fair play on the photos. I will have to take a few of my own. They will be clean in the wool out of him. Nice white pip on the cul too.

Hard to get a good brecked these days, lads just don't breed them.

breket?
    breked?

What does that mean?

:confused:

Breked would be a ram with a fair bit of white in the face, but not a Lanark or a Kerry ram. They would still be a 100% Mayo ram. It isn't something you see too often these days but going back 50-60 years they were really common.

Breked would be a ram with a fair bit of white in the face, but not a Lanark or a Kerry ram. They would still be a 100% Mayo ram. It isn't something you see too often these days but going back 50-60 years they were really common.

That's the fella. Great ram to use on hill sheep that are getting or have gone too black. But they're like hens teeth. Dad has one for years, he's being very careful with the sheep he's putting him with to keep him as long as possible.

This is what we'd call a brecket ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

hi all,

Original poster here!

Put the TX with 45 ewes and the CH with 30 hoggets and 5 ewes they are in two weeks sat and here are the stats....ch had a worrying slow start but not his fault...........really happy hopefully they hold

TX RAM
    ewes
    17/10/2014 4
    18/10/2014 6
    19/10/2014 12
    20/10/2014 18
    21/10/2014 24
    22/10/2014 29
    23/10/2014 31
    24/10/2014 32
    25/10/2014 34
    26/10/2014 37
    27/10/2014 40
    28/10/2014 43
    29/10/2014 44
    30/10/2014 45

CH RAM
    hogs
    17/10/2014 1
    18/10/2014 3
    19/10/2014 6
    20/10/2014 7
    21/10/2014 11
    22/10/2014 14
    23/10/2014 16
    24/10/2014 17
    25/10/2014 17
    26/10/2014 18
    27/10/2014 20
    28/10/2014 24
    29/10/2014 27
    30/10/2014 34

13 days and 98% tipped

roosky wrote: »
    hi all,

Original poster here!

Put the TX with 45 ewes and the CH with 30 hoggets and 5 ewes they are in two weeks sat and here are the stats....ch had a worrying slow start but not his fault...........really happy hopefully they hold

CH RAM TX RAM
    hogs ewes
    35 45
    17/10/2014 1 4
    18/10/2014 3 6
    19/10/2014 6 12
    20/10/2014 7 18
    21/10/2014 11 24
    22/10/2014 14 29
    23/10/2014 16 31
    24/10/2014 17 32
    25/10/2014 17 34
    26/10/2014 18 37
    27/10/2014 20 40
    28/10/2014 24 43
    29/10/2014 27 44
    30/10/2014 34 45
    31/10/2014

13 days and 98% tipped
    so

Not bad going... ;)
    How long will you leave the rams with them Roosky?

Should have a nice condensed lambing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Rams will swap groups sat just incase of infertility......

Two more weeks with two rams then two final weeks with the TX on his own to mop up any stragglers......so 6 weeks in all

The CH is off on a holiday then to tip ewe lambs for a neighbour

roosky wrote: »

The CH is off on a holiday then to tip ewe lambs for a neighbour

Sure they say a change is as good as a rest ;)

Haven't seen one of them in a while Con. I always found them stronger and with better teeth, but maybe that was just the particular ones I had encountered. A lad with a very bright cul would turn very dark ewes too in my experience, although he wouldn't be as prolific in doing it.

Have a look around fairs where guys from the islands might sell, they used to have them like that down the years. In around Louisburgh for lads coming in off Clare Island etc, or even take a spin out there yourself some evening for a look. Strong, heavy-bodied type of ewes out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

on a different but similar note just had an early ewe that was scanned in lamb early October just scan empty today. Anyone know how long it would take a ewe to cycle again after slipping? This ewe is 4 and always takes on first cycle no history of even repeating.

Haven't seen one of them in a while Con. I always found them stronger and with better teeth, but maybe that was just the particular ones I had encountered. A lad with a very bright cul would turn very dark ewes too in my experience, although he wouldn't be as prolific in doing it.

Have a look around fairs where guys from the islands might sell, they used to have them like that down the years. In around Louisburgh for lads coming in off Clare Island etc, or even take a spin out there yourself some evening for a look. Strong, heavy-bodied type of ewes out there.

Yeah that lad is ancient now, but he still has a good mouth. I'll be keeping my eye out for one yet, the right time to buy a good ram is the first time you see him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Cran wrote: »
    on a different but similar note just had an early ewe that was scanned in lamb early October just scan empty today. Anyone know how long it would take a ewe to cycle again after slipping? This ewe is 4 and always takes on first cycle no history of even repeating.

Had a pure bred ewe lamb get tipped by by a cross bred lamb end of September, on vets advice waited 14 days and gave estrumate and 10 days later she tipped naturally
    So I would imagine she could go in lamb anytime if no obvious health reasons. Out of curiosity why were you scanning so close together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I know a case where a lot of ewes aborted in a toxo storm in early jan and most were back in lamb in 3 weeks

razor8 wrote: »
    Had a pure bred ewe lamb get tipped by by a cross bred lamb end of September, on vets advice waited 14 days and gave estrumate and 10 days later she tipped naturally
    So I would imagine she could go in lamb anytime if no obvious health reasons. Out of curiosity why were you scanning so close together?

Was buying her, she was scanned by current owner to make sure in lamb earlier but couldn't say how many lambs so scanned now for numbers. Lucky he did :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Was buying her, she was scanned by current owner to make sure in lamb earlier but couldn't say how many lambs so scanned now for numbers. Lucky he did :confused:

Very lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Did you scan yourself? Or did the farmer you bought from have scanning machine?

Feckthis wrote: »
    Did you scan yourself? Or did the farmer you bought from have scanning machine?

He got a scanner in I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Chev bucks let loose today

• Advertisement

After two weeks with the ewes t ook out one of the rams from the field today. Put a new one in. Took me ages to get him out. No way did he want to leave his ewes behind !!!!!

Advertisement