Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assurance letter needed

Options
  • 23-09-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Why have i been told by my local bank that they will not give me a letter of assurance, so that i can transfer funds from currencyfair into my Bank of Ireland account . Currencyfair require two proofs of address but since i have only just returned this is not feasible as all i have are my bank of Ireland statements on return. They have given me a template letter and said this assurance letter will suffice as proof, so that i can transfer my funds to BOI. Is BOI willing to do this for a customer ? And if not Why not ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi SpiketheMuss,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can we clarify, do you mean a letter of reference? If this is what the company require from you, unfortunately Bank of Ireland no longer issue these. This policy was introduced many years ago and as it is a policy change we would not be in a position to discuss this further here.

A bank statement is proof of address and if a company require two documents, perhaps a utility bill or government document would meet their requirements. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SpiketheMuss

Hi SpiketheMuss,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can we clarify, do you mean a letter of reference? If this is what the company require from you, unfortunately Bank of Ireland no longer issue these. This policy was introduced many years ago and as it is a policy change we would not be in a position to discuss this further here.

A bank statement is proof of address and if a company require two documents, perhaps a utility bill or government document would meet their requirements. 

Thanks
    Tara
    As i said having a utility bill after being away almost 5 years isnt feasible. Currency fair have got back to me and they said  that the banks should have their own versiopn of the letter of assurance. Its not a reference. Assurance is the form they sent me. I can mail you a copy .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SpiketheMuss

Currency fair has said that the bank should have its own letter of Identification and that i should ask for this. Is this true, and how may i obtain this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi SpiketheMuss, 

Thanks for coming bank to us. 

Regrettably, as mentioned previously, Bank of Ireland do not issue letters of assurance however, depending on the nature of the company's requirements they may request through their own bank for a Character Enquiry. To do this, they will need to include a written authority from yourself, which gives Bank of Ireland permission to provide this information. An original request must be sent by the company's bank, as it cannot be emailed or faxed. A Character Enquiry is carried out between banks and upon receipt of this request we would respond to the company's bank directly. 

If the company simply requires assurance or proof of address this can be found on a bank account or credit card statement issued by ourselves. Understandably, as you have been away, it may not be feasible to supply a utility bill as a secondary document however, we would suggest that you contact the company as they can advise on alternative documentations which may be acceptable. For example, we would accept an original certificate from the revenue commissioners or listing of your name on the electoral Register. 

We hope this helps. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Hello,

could you tell me what exactly to include in a letter authorising a Character Enquiry?

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hello,

could you tell me what exactly to include in a letter authorising a Character Enquiry?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Good Afternoon Andrew, 

To assist us with an answer, can you confirm the intended nature for this letter? 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Hello,

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Good Afternoon Andrew, 

To assist us with an answer, can you confirm the intended nature for this letter? 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Hello,

I am currently seeking accommodation. Landlords are requesting bank references but as it seems that this isn't possible, what should be included by me in the authorising letter for a Character Enquiry?

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hello,

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Good Afternoon Andrew, 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Hello,

I am currently seeking accommodation. Landlords are requesting bank references but as it seems that this isn't possible, what should be included by me in the authorising letter for a Character Enquiry?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Hi PaperArchitect,

A character enquiry is carried out between banks, so if we receive an authorised request from another bank we would respond to that bank directly. Sorry, a letter of reference is not a service that we provide.
    Please let me know if you need anything else, thanks.
    Nicola

Hi PaperArchitect,

A character enquiry is carried out between banks, so if we receive an authorised request from another bank we would respond to that bank directly. Sorry, a letter of reference is not a service that we provide.
    Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that you don't provide letters of reference. But I do need to know how the process of Character Enquiry works. I understand that it is carried out between banks, but how would I initiate this process? For example a potential landlord requires a letter of reference, but instead because of your policy, he must initiate the process of retrieving a Character Enquiry. Do I write a letter which would permit him to do that which he would then issue to his back, if so what would I include in the letter?

Best,
    Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi PaperArchitect,

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that you don't provide letters of reference. But I do need to know how the process of Character Enquiry works. I understand that it is carried out between banks, but how would I initiate this process? For example a potential landlord requires a letter of reference, but instead because of your policy, he must initiate the process of retrieving a Character Enquiry. Do I write a letter which would permit him to do that which he would then issue to his back, if so what would I include in the letter?

Best,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew, the person who requires the character enquiry would need to initiate this through their bank who'll provide them with all of the necessary details.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Advertisement
Advertisement