Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and their overuse of replays

• 23-09-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

This is really irritating these days. Last Sunday RTE missed the kickout by Durgan to O'Donaghy and it just flashed back in time for Donaghy blasting the ball to the net. They use replays way too much and we are missing a tonne of action of the actual match.

In every single hurling game RTE shows, there are numerous instances where a replay of a point is shown and the next thing the sliotar is down the other end of the field and a free has been given or whatever and we are none the wiser of the circumstances of how the ball has got there.

To summarise stop showing replays of every single point and let us actually watch the game.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Warper wrote: »
    This is really irritating these days. Last Sunday RTE missed the kickout by Durgan to O'Donaghy and it just flashed back in time for Donaghy blasting the ball to the net. They use replays way too much and we are missing a tonne of action of the actual match.

In every single hurling game RTE shows, there are numerous instances where a replay of a point is shown and the next thing the sliotar is down the other end of the field and a free has been given or whatever and we are none the wiser of the circumstances of how the ball has got there.

To summarise stop showing replays of every single point and let us actually watch the game.

Surely you mean Durcan? :)

I have to agree though, in fairness to them they couldnt have forseen such an event happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Surely you mean Durcan? :)

I have to agree though, in fairness to them they couldnt have forseen such an event happening

Its so bad in football as the game is pretty slow but in hurling it wrecks my head. Watch the game this Sat and see how much of the game is missed due to the overuse of replays. Oh and ya i meant Durcan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Totally agree Warper,end up missing a ridiculous amount of play.Best summed up with the Donaghy goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree Warper,end up missing a ridiculous amount of play.Best summed up with the Donaghy goal.

Completely agree OP.
    Sign of a lack of understanding of the game, this along with having Ger''consternation' Canning as the main commentator for the last 30 odd years.
    Simple solution would be a split screen to show both live action and a replay if you really needed to see it, a la BT sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've been going on about this for years.I'd say 50% of kick outs and puck outs are missed by the camera these days.Its really bad on behalf of whoever is the match director and it show they obviously don't understand football or hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

IT is nice to be able to see replays though so it's about finding balance.

But I'd kind if agree with the OP about their overuse.

Once the ball is in active play, replays should be cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

This is made so much worse by the fact that kick-outs and puck-outs are more important than ever in a tactical sense.

There was some excuse when every restart was blasted down the middle but nowadays it's inexcusable.

BBC NI are even worse with their constant crowd shots - there was one game this year I was almost tempted to count the number of times they missed action because they were showing shots of someone in the crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This isn't a new development, in '97 Ollie Baker scored an equalizing point that was missed because of a replay. I'd hope once there's more people on HD that's on SD that picture in picture will be a viable option for them.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

BBC NI are even worse with their constant crowd shots - there was one game this year I was almost tempted to count the number of times they missed action because they were showing shots of someone in the crowd.

Yes replays are one thing, but missing the match for crowd shots are a joke.

Even close ups of the managers are not necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    This is made so much worse by the fact that kick-outs and puck-outs are more important than ever in a tactical sense.

There was some excuse when every restart was blasted down the middle but nowadays it's inexcusable.

That drives me bloody nuts too. I don't mind the replays all that much, but I'd much rather see the immediate reaction of the player who scored the goal/point, the reaction of his team mates, or the reaction of goalie or the player who was marking him. I really couldn't care less about what random people in the crowd are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

They often miss play just showing a long lingering slow motion shot of a player celebrating, or even just exhaling or something. No idea why they do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive no problem with replays on rte, its as standard as any other broadcaster.

sky probably show replays more than anybody. the Donaghy goal was a freak goal, that would happen maybe once in 20 live broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

IMO TG4 are far worse with their league coverage. Every score even from the simplest of frees is replayed. I have no interest in watching a free for second time unless something unusual happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Agreed with all of the above, especially the crowd shots, or the slow-motions - darn, hard to say which I hate most!

However, last Sunday, for the minor match which TG4 covered, I wanted to strangle the director or the cameraman - or maybe both.

Very often, the play was very poorly framed so for example, you could see what the players heads were doing, or what their feet were doing but not where the ball was - GRRRR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

sky probably show replays more than anybody. the Donaghy goal was a freak goal, that would happen maybe once in 20 live broadcasts.

Yeah, but they're covering other sports! Ones that are not as quick to resume action as either football or hurling.

But even if the kick out didn't go to Donaghy, if it went to his own man, I'd still want to see it as the ball's in live play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

This drives me mad as well - and it makes it worse when you can hear the crowd reaction to fielding a high ball or something while we are watching a replay.

Ultimately however, whatever method they are using to queue up the replay is not quick enough. I am going to watch this closely tomorrow night but I think the time taken to start showing the replay is as long as the replay itself.

So we are left looking at player reactions and crowd shots, while the director decides which replay angle to show and then shows it. So a five second replay takes 10 seconds! In hurling, a sliothar could be in within a few yards of the other goal in 10 seconds!

Secondly, it seems that when they show a replay, they are committed to finishing it regardless of what is happening live. I have very rarely seen them break away from a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Durcan deserves the blame moreso than RTE in this situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

But it's not just that very obvious one. I've noticed this loads of times in hurling where the ball can be pucked out very quickly but RTE miss action because of still showing a replay or in some cases two from different angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

What?
    Please explain :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A great example at the end of todays match.

Fennelly puts over a point with a minute fo injury time left to put 3 between the team , Tipp are obviously desperate to get the equalizing score and are obviously going to puck the ball put as quick as possible but instead of showing the puckout we get another shot of Fennellys score.The ball is up at Tipps half forward line before we see any live play.

It would be interesting to see what background the match directors come from because they can't honestly know anything about sport.This has been going on for years and I can't understand why someone on the Sunday game who knows about GAA hasn't told the match directors to do the job properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Spot on, and absolutely infuriating.

Anyone with an ounce of cop on would just show the puck out.

Advertisement