Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP cards now work on the city buses

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Can now top-up leapcard using an NFC phone.
    https://about.leapcard.ie/about/using-leap

Neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Do many use the Leap Card on the buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

I bought one recently enough, it's great. I get a lovely feeling of smug satisfaction knowing I'm paying €1.60 when all the other schmucks are paying €2.10. I use the LUAS and Dublin Bus fairly regularly as well making it particularly attractive. And when the machines aren't working I get free journeys. Sweet as.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No. Only the smart ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not many, but it is very handy. An issue in Galway City (and I presume Limerick is the same) compared with Dublin Bus usage is that you have to give the card to the bus driver at his paystation. Would speed up boarding onto the bus if one could tag the card on the right hand side as one gets on the bus. Galway has a much simplier and flat fare system that would make this work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would speed up alighting onto the bus

One boards onto the bus.

One alights from the bus.

Some London trams had signage that said "Passengers alight at both ends".

Beaker_muppet.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not many, but it is very handy. An issue in Galway City (and I presume Limerick is the same) compared with Dublin Bus usage is that you have to give the card to the bus driver at his paystation. Would speed up boarding onto the bus if one could tag the card on the right hand side as one gets on the bus. Galway has a much simplier and flat fare system that would make this work.

You have to do that with some leap cards (for single ticket fare, no commuter tickets I think) everywhere. It's a bit faster than Galway but in Dublin for me, it's a 'leave on for a sec' tag beside the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, it's the same here in Limerick. So unnecessary to interact with the driver when it's a flat fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

In Dublin last week I had to place it on the reader beside the driver and tell him where I was going each time I boarded a bus. He then punched that in and I took my card back, bit slower than just scanning it myself.

In Dublin last week I had to place it on the reader beside the driver and tell him where I was going each time I boarded a bus. He then punched that in and I took my card back, bit slower than just scanning it myself.

It largely depends on where you're going. On Dublin bus they have scanners -- you'd use these if you have a weekly/monthly tickets/tax saver ticket, where the fare doesn't matter as such. If you scan your regular leap card on it, you'll be charged the full amount for that route, which might be near €4, whereas the distance you actually want to go might be over €2. If that makes sense? This is why you'd go to the bus driver.

With Galway though, where the fare applies to all areas within the city (?), there should just be the scanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With Galway though, where the fare applies to all areas within the city (?), there should just be the scanner.

Not quite.

CityDirect have three fare zones for adults.

Bus Éireann have two - but the 2nd one only applies on route 410, and even then only for part of it.

Do the CityDirect buses use the leap card or does that only apply to Bus Eireann services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

CityDirect do use the leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

It largely depends on where you're going. On Dublin bus they have scanners -- you'd use these if you have a weekly/monthly tickets/tax saver ticket, where the fare doesn't matter as such. If you scan your regular leap card on it, you'll be charged the full amount for that route, which might be near €4, whereas the distance you actually want to go might be over €2. If that makes sense? This is why you'd go to the bus driver.

Yeah I get why they do it, it just takes some time as you have to queue with everyone else, show the card to the reader, tell the driver where you're going, wait for him to punch that in and then wait for the card to update. It's slower than buying a ticket.

I've used similar systems abroad, you scan getting on and again getting off and the fare is calculated on distance travelled with no interaction ever needed from the driver.

Anyway, not complaining as it works out a lot cheaper for me and it's more convenient than having to carry cash for tickets.

Advertisement