Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges Query

Options
  • 23-09-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm living in Charlesland and have a couple of questions about the water charges form.

1. Is the type of piped water supply from a public water main (Q4 on the form)?
    2. Is the type of wastewater (sewerage) facility a public sewer (Q5 on the form)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Yes to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would say the answer to both questions in your case is "yes" as you are not on a private water scheme and you don't have a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Anyone know when we will be getting meters in charlesland?
    I know protests in bray have stopped installations but i hope we have a meter installed before billing as dont want to be paying for average usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Jimjay wrote: »
    Anyone know when we will be getting meters in charlesland?
    I know protests in bray have stopped installations but i hope we have a meter installed before billing as dont want to be paying for average usage.
    Talk on the Charlesland Community Facebook group of parking on the pavement to prevent installation as a form of "peaceful" protest.

I'm hard-pressed as it is without risking fines for illegal parking to try and prevent what seems inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Charlesland already have water meters. They were installed at time of build.
    Look at the small metal lids that shouldn't be too far from shut off valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Must have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

LEIN wrote: »
    Charlesland already have water meters. They were installed at time of build.
    Look at the small metal lids that shouldn't be too far from shut off valve.

Ag thanks. I was told that charlesland was ready for meters and thats why thise metal lids were put in but they still need installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Any meters put in before will not be used by Irish Water - they won't be compatible with their automated reading systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ogham wrote: »
    Any meters put in before will not be used by Irish Water - they won't be compatible with their automated reading systems.

I had some vague recollection of hearing this before but I was not 100% if this was definitely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

And not provided by the "preferred supplier". Probably the main reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think though that it will be relatively simple to switch them over? I mean I doubt they would remove meters and put new ones in!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I mean I doubt they would remove meters and put new ones in!
    Maybe they could leave them in, but GMC Sierra are going to want their money one way or another. Denis O' Brien had to use all his influence to get that contract. Why should he forego his rightful revenues just because you already have a meter?

http://www.thejournal.ie/no-deal-to-give-tender-for-water-meters-to-obrien-firm-insists-minister-443454-May2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe they could leave them in, but GMC Sierra are going to want their money one way or another. Denis O' Brien had to use all his influence to get that contract. Why should he forego his rightful revenues just because you already have a meter?

http://www.thejournal.ie/no-deal-to-give-tender-for-water-meters-to-obrien-firm-insists-minister-443454-May2012/

He's not very influential then, since he owns one half of one of three consortia that were given the installation contracts.
    recedite wrote: »
    Why should he forego his rightful revenues just because you already have a meter?

Or possibly it's not technically possibly to convert the existing meters to be compatible with Irish Water's billing system ? Or possibly even the research project to determine if conversion is technically possibly would cost more than the incremental cost of just replacing them, given that conversion would carry an installation/labour charge anyway ? Or possibly some research was done, and it was determined it was cheaper to replace them ?

Advertisement