Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 920 Compass Not Working after 8.1 & Cyan Update

• 23-09-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Ever since I updated my 920 to 8.1 and the Nokia Cyan update the compass has stopped working for all apps apart from Nokia Maps (if the compass icon is actually a compass).

I noticed it with Here City Lens where upon opening the app it asked to calibrate the compass but nothing worked. When I uninstalled the app and tried to re-install it, it stated that some features of the 920 were not available and the app could not be re-installed - I assume due to the compass not being detected.

I have the same issue with Yelp.

The apps worked fine before the update.

Anyone else come across this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I'll have a look at my devices later.

Other than a full reset using the Nokia Software Recovery Tools, all I can think of is a hardware fault?

theothernt wrote: »
    I'll have a look at my devices later.

Other than a full reset using the Nokia Software Recovery Tools, all I can think of is a hardware fault?

Ye seems strange that the compass icon appears to be working on the Here maps. I might use the above tool, however, since I don't use the maps apps much I might leave it for a bit. Just wondering if anyone else came across this too.

Are there any apps I should try other than HERE Maps?

Are there any apps I should try other than HERE Maps?

I've only had problems with Here City Lens mainly, but also have issues with Yelp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is the official 8.1 update available on the 920 already?

Is the official 8.1 update available on the 920 already?

Yep!

hadoken13 wrote: »
    I've only had problems with Here City Lens mainly, but also have issues with Yelp.

(sorry about the delay, busy few days!)

I tested Yelp, HERE Maps and HERE City Lense on a Lumia 920 and Lumia 720 with 8.1 (NOT Dev Preview which is at 8.1 Update 1).

Yelp doesn't have compass support at all, but HERE Maps and HERE City Lense worked fine, I moved the phone and the map or pin rotated as expected.

(sorry about the delay, busy few days!)

I tested Yelp, HERE Maps and HERE City Lense on a Lumia 920 and Lumia 720 with 8.1 (NOT Dev Preview which is at 8.1 Update 1).

Yelp doesn't have compass support at all, but HERE Maps and HERE City Lense worked fine, I moved the phone and the map or pin rotated as expected.

Thanks. Ye it's seems strange that the compass appears to work in Here Maps but City Lens doesn't work at all (can't even install in now).

Don't want to reset the phone as that seems like the only option left - I might get by without the apps for the moment.

Thanks. Ye it's seems strange that the compass appears to work in Here Maps but City Lens doesn't work at all (can't even install in now).

Don't want to reset the phone as that seems like the only option left - I might get by without the apps for the moment.

Why doesn't the app install, any idea?

• Advertisement

Message in the store: "This app is not available for your phone because it requires: Compass".

I also tried the Jack of Tools app and it doesn't recognise the compass either stating that the compass is not functioning. I will post on the Nokia forum when I get home from work later.

When I had it I found it to be wildly inaccurate. Perhaps MS have killed it off?

When I had it I found it to be wildly inaccurate. Perhaps MS have killed it off?

Nah, the HERE apps will exist for many years yet.

Message in the store: "This app is not available for your phone because it requires: Compass".

I also tried the Jack of Tools app and it doesn't recognise the compass either stating that the compass is not functioning. I will post on the Nokia forum when I get home from work later.

Can you enroll in the Dev Preview programme, get the phone up to 8.1 Update 1 and see if it works?

Well, if they continue to function correctly.

The Here map apps will stay but what about the compass and/or Here City Lens being wound down?
    Can you enroll in the Dev Preview programme, get the phone up to 8.1 Update 1 and see if it works?

It's a work phone so this is a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Is your accelerometer also not working?

Just out of curiosity, if you had downloaded the dev preview, well the official release overwrite the dev preview version?

Just out of curiosity, if you had downloaded the dev preview, well the official release overwrite the dev preview version?

It would eventually. The Dev Preview programme allows the phone to get the next version early.

If the phone was on v1, and you opted into the Dev Preview programme, you'd get v1.1. If you then removed the app, the phone will only get an update when v1.2 is out.

(And not to confuse things, but the Nokia Black, Cyan, etc are separate updates and are outside of the above)

Is your accelerometer also not working?

Not sure, how can I tell?

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is a result of the new update but in the last week, my beloved 920 has completely **** itself.

I didn't love the 930 so I reverted back to the 920 and erased the dev preview app. Although the phone continued to run 8.1 and when I checked the 'about' section, it didn't display whether I was running black, cyan or anything.

Anyway, last week I noticed that when I take a call, I can't be heard on the other end, unless I use speaker phone (missus has the EXACT same problem on her 620) aaaaaand, all of a sudden since yesterday, the qi function is completely disabled. I tried on all three of my qi plates but the phone will now only charge via the regular charging cable.

I didn't love the 930 so I reverted back to the 930 and erased the dev preview app. Although the phone continued to run 8.1 and when I checked the 'about' section, it didn't display whether I was running black, cyan or anything.

Anyway, last week I noticed that when I take a call, I can't be heard on the other end, unless I use speaker phone (missus has the EXACT same problem on her 620) aaaaaand, all of a sudden since yesterday, the qi function is completely disabled. I tried on all three of my qi plates but the phone will now only charge via the regular charging cable.

How did you revert back? resetting the phone won't change the firmware or OS.

How did you revert back? resetting the phone won't change the firmware or OS.

Poops. That should say, I reverted back to my 920

Poops. That should say, I reverted back to my 920

Ah! :pac:

The following should give you the correct version info...

Settings > About > More Info > OS version
    Settings > Extras + Info

Can anyone with a 920 download and install the Jack of Tools app and open the compass settings? On mine it says the compass is not functioning and I believe this may be caused by the 8.1 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the unknown

Can anyone with a 920 download and install the Jack of Tools app and open the compass settings? On mine it says the compass is not functioning and I believe this may be caused by the 8.1 update.

So I´ve the same problem with my lumia 920. The compass isn´t working, I can´t install here city lens. I´ve tried 3x hard reset, I´ve flashed my phone with lumia recovery tool, but nothing helped. Last week I tried it again to download the Here City Lens app and it did download.

Suddenly the compass was there. Yesterday the compass disappeared completely again and I cant donwload Here city lens app. Anyone have an idea ?

I've just testing the compass on a 720, 1020, 1520 and 920 - they all work and the phones are running the latest 8.1 Dev Preview.

It must be a fault of some sort :(

So I´ve the same problem with my lumia 920. The compass isn´t working, I can´t install here city lens. I´ve tried 3x hard reset, I´ve flashed my phone with lumia recovery tool, but nothing helped. Last week I tried it again to download the Here City Lens app and it did download.

Suddenly the compass was there. Yesterday the compass disappeared completely again and I cant donwload Here city lens app. Anyone have an idea ?

I've only had the problem since the 8.1 update but my next step was to reset the phone, but since it didn't work for you, I'm stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Jack of Tools shows the compass as working on my phone. I've got 8.1 Denim on Lumia 920.

The thing is, my compass and screen rotation weren't working for a few months and have recently started working again. I'm not sure if it was watching a video that was to be opened / saved instead of streamed which fixed it, or whether when watching such a video that I noticed it had been fixed.

Either way, everything is working fine at present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement