Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violence in Relationships Towards Women Needs To Stop

• 23-09-2014 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Disclaimer: Some viewers may find this video upsetting.

I want to highlight this video to go with the campaign about stopping violence towards women in relationships and how women have to suffer in silence without a voice and if they try to speak about it no one will listen or mock them because they made a complaint

I thank you for watching.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This won't end well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

violence in relationships needs to end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Violence needs to end. Let's just all eat cake instead. Why will nobody go along with my ****ing 5-point cake plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Does the OP expect us to say it needs to start ? Because I'm not in a relationship at the moment and I haven't started getting drunk yet. So I'll have to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I watched the video.

What's your point OP? Some crazy chick beating up on her ex?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I'm a man who suffered violence in a relationship at the hands of a woman!because i'm a man that makes it all ok does it??? yeah I bet it fcuking does doesn't it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

UCDcritic, you're not right in the head. Fact.

Just because a campaign is anti-violence against women doesn't mean it's pro-violence against men.

I can campaign for a blindness charity but it doesn't mean there's no room for a deafness charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im very confused right now. I watched the video and have no idea what people are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

You've changed your tune from last week, op.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92296444&postcount=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Violence in Relationships Towards Women Needs To Stop

Thanks captain obvious. But I'm more inclined to say that violence towards either sex in a relationship needs to stop.

Why not just a campaign to stop domestic violence in all aspects? whether its against a male or a female. Why start a campaign to just stop domestic abuse against women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Candie wrote: »
    Just because a campaign is anti-violence against women doesn't mean it's pro-violence against men.

I can campaign for a blindness charity but it doesn't mean there's no room for a deafness charity.

By differentiating between genders when talking about victims of an identical crime, it implies that one gender's happiness / safety / whatever is more important than the other's.

Violence in relationships needs to end. Qualifying it further implies that some humans are more deserving of safety than others, which is automatically discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

From the OP who brought you such gems as -

People You'd Like To Punch In The Face

and -

Women Caught Being Perverts

One can't help but be cynical of the OP's sincerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

The OP seems to have no qualms about punching a woman in the face. Can't say I take his concerns seriously.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I love when threads backfire like this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Why not just a campaign to stop domestic violence in all aspects? whether its against a male or a female. Why start a campaign to just stop domestic abuse against women?

Why raise money for lung cancer research when there's liver cancer too.

Targeted campaigns are considered more effective than broad ones. It helps it's target demographic to identify more closely with the message.

Male campaigns should take place also, but I don't think the answer is a unified drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why raise money for lung cancer research when there's liver cancer too.

Targeted campaigns are considered more effective than broad ones. It helps it's target demographic to identify more closely with the message.

Male campaigns should take place also, but I don't think the answer is a unified drive.

I'm sorry but this is an absolutely awful analogy. A better analogy would be if a cancer society launched a campaign which targeted lung cancer, but only in black people.

Two different kinds of cancer which can affect anyone is not the same as differentiating between an identical crime which affects every demographic and only helping one of those demographics. That's discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Because genuine equality would make far too many of our highly qualified gender studies graduates unemployable...

I'm sorry but this is an absolutely awful analogy. A better analogy would be if a cancer society launched a campaign which targeted lung cancer, but only in black people.

Two different kinds of cancer which can affect anyone is not the same as differentiating between an identical crime which affects every demographic and only helping one of those demographics. That's discrimination.

I wouldn't agree, since the circumstances of the victims tend to be different with male and female victims, and advice suitable for male victims would be difficult for women victims to identify with and vice versa. Men can run into different problems to women in reporting, prosecuting and escaping domestic violence.

I don't see the problem with running parallel campaigns, with targeted information and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The major difference between the experience of the genders in the case of domestic abuse is that men are usually the physically stronger, so if they do get physically aggressive the damage caused is likely to be much higher.

However in 2007 Harvard Medical School published the results of a US study involving 11,000 men and women by the American Journal of public health which showed that in 70% of cases of non reciprocal partner abuse, that is one sided abuse by one partner, women were the perpetrator. In the cases of reciprocal partner abuse where both were involved, both genders agreed it was the woman most likely to throw the first blow. That study's results have been repeated elsewhere with pretty much the same figures.

As for abuse that actually leads to murder? On average about seven women and two men are killed by their current or former partner every month in England and Wales(2011 figures)..

The issue I have is that women suffering abuse have representation, have support in the community and have actual practical support in the sense of helplines, charities, media and social awareness and shelters. And this is a bloody good thing, but if there ever was a case for "whataboutery" this is bloody one of them. Where are the helplines, charities, media and social awareness and shelters for men? Oh wait...

Yes, abuse should be highlighted, the victims supported and the perpetrators exposed and if need be locked the fcuk up for the scum they are, but when one group are pretty much ignored because their gonads happen to be external one does ask what the holy Fcuk is going on. If the reverse was the case and there were no shelters for women in this country, no support, the idea that they should "suck it up" and remain invisible there would be murder today. It was like that in the past and women were told to remain invisible and that was damned wrong on all fronts and today things are much better, but yet we're doing the same for another group in society. That's only partial progress.

EDIT I've had personal experience of how this societal perception and response can actually affect real life outcomes. A mate of a mate was in an abusive relationship with the mother of his child. One night she attacked him and actually split his lip. She called the Guards and when they showed up they saw him, a big bruiser of a chap, and her a petite woman and promptly asked him to leave his home and his kid, the home he bought and paid for and his kid he raised more than her. He with the split lip with it and not a mark on her. He ended up sleeping on friends and family couches for quite the while and years later she's living in his gaff. Extreme example? Maybe, though I know of one other that's similar and I doubt I'd be alone in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It was like that in the past and women were told to remain invisible and that was damned wrong on all fronts and today things are much better, but yet we're doing the same for another group in society. That's only partial progress.

You make some good points Wibbs, but the more pertinent question is why don't men care enough about themselves to try and gain support for these services for themselves, in the same way as women had to do for themselves?

To me it should be less about whataboutery, and more about "Ok, that's what women have done, now how can we get men to start supporting each other?". Men's sheds are a good start, but just the same as these services didn't come about for women overnight, they won't come about for men overnight either, and calls of discrimination, etc only distract from the actual cause men are trying to get support for.

I just think pointing out that women get support so men should get the same support is a bad strategy that just perpetuates the stigma around MRAs and that stigma is the reason why most men want nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Doublecream

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You make some good points Wibbs, but the more pertinent question is why don't men care enough about themselves to try and gain support for these services for themselves, in the same way as women had to do for themselves?

To me it should be less about whataboutery, and more about "Ok, that's what women have done, now how can we get men to start supporting each other?". Men's sheds are a good start, but just the same as these services didn't come about for women overnight, they won't come about for men overnight either, and calls of discrimination, etc only distract from the actual cause men are trying to get support for.

I just think pointing out that women get support so men should get the same support is a bad strategy that just perpetuates the stigma around MRAs and that stigma is the reason why most men want nothing to do with them.

Why do you view it to be the responsibility of only men to help men who are the victims of domestic abuse?

I would view it as the responsibility of society to protect men who are the victims of domestic abuse not just men. Reverse genders and the same applies.

Why do you view it to be the responsibility of only men to help men who are the victims of domestic abuse?

Well that's putting a dodgy twist on what I said. I never said it was the responsibility of only men to help men, I said, if you want to put it that way, that more men need to be encouraged to take responsibility for themselves. Men need to encourage men to care, rather than try to point fingers at support groups for women and claim that they should support men too.

Women had to fight hard for what little resources they have, and now you think they should have to offer support to men too? In what world do you think that's ever likely to happen?

I would view it as the responsibility of society to protect men who are the victims of domestic abuse not just men. Reverse genders and the same applies.

Reverse the genders all you like, it still won't have any bearing on reality.

Well that's putting a dodgy twist on what I said. I never said it was the responsibility of only men to help men, I said, if you want to put it that way, that more men need to be encouraged to take responsibility for themselves. Men need to encourage men to care, rather than try to point fingers at support groups for women and claim that they should support men too.

Women had to fight hard for what little resources they have, and now you think they should have to offer support to men too? In what world do you think that's ever likely to happen?

Most women have done absolutely nothing to fight for women's rights. Should we only encourage black people to encourage black people to fight for their rights?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

EDIT I've had personal experience of how this societal perception and response can actually affect real life outcomes. A mate of a mate was in an abusive relationship with the mother of his child. One night she attacked him and actually split his lip. She called the Guards and when they showed up they saw him, a big bruiser of a chap, and her a petite woman and promptly asked him to leave his home and his kid, the home he bought and paid for and his kid he raised more than her. He with the split lip with it and not a mark on her. He ended up sleeping on friends and family couches for quite the while and years later she's living in his gaff. Extreme example? Maybe, though I know of one other that's similar and I doubt I'd be alone in that.

Why didnt he refuse to leave? The gardai have no power to compel him to leave his own home and I am not sure a court can order her to be allowed live in his gaff. Did he have a solicitor?

I know people are criticised for saying of women in domestic violence situations why didnt she just leave but really, should there not be some level of personal responsibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Gezuz. Why no one's wished violence on the OP for wasting their time with that video is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I'm a man who suffered violence in a relationship at the hands of a woman!because i'm a man that makes it all ok does it??? yeah I bet it fcuking does doesn't it:mad:
    No. No it doesn't. Who on earth would say it does?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

No. No it doesn't. Who on earth would say it does?

The Gardai laughed it off and told me go away home

Most women have done absolutely nothing to fight for women'should rights.

Well that's ill informed, no point in even entertaining that one.

Should we only encourage black people to encourage black people to fight for their rights?

I'm only interested in how we get more men to care about their own welfare, so that question is irrelevant.

Down the same tedious repetitive plughole it all goes.

Well that's ill informed, no point in even entertaining that one.

I'm only interested in how we get more men to care about their own welfare, so that question is irrelevant.

can you clarify how I'm ill informed?

We can get the men if domestic abuse to care about their welfare by encouraging everyone to help them, not just men.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

AMEN was founded by a woman, and ran a very successful campaign on Dublin Bus a couple of years ago.
    Why didnt he refuse to leave? The gardai have no power to compel him to leave his own home and I am not sure a court can order her to be allowed live in his gaff. Did he have a solicitor?

I know people are criticised for saying of women in domestic violence situations why didnt she just leave but really, should there not be some level of personal responsibility?

Sometimes people have no choice. To give you an even starker example of men being skewed against in law, I was once married and when we split, shared a house with my former spouse. I'm female, and despite there being no physical violence involved from either of us, one day I rang my solicitor who calmly informed me she could get him removed from the house and a barring order enforced (for no valid reason)

The law here is skewed in favour of women in circumstances such as those, and the police aren't much better.Despite my exs non violent behaviour I had a legal professional tell me that if I was finding it a struggle to share a house with him, she could have him removed by law.

I changed solicitor fairly sharpish, she seemed inherently biased against men, and in no way interested in facilitating an amicable divorce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Years ago I used to deliver sandwiches up to a women's shelter. They didn't seem to understand when I tried to explain to them that if they just made the sandwiches they wouldn't be there.

• Advertisement

can you clarify how I'm ill informed?

I could, but something tells me that if you haven't informed yourself by now, I'm more likely to be wasting my time, so I shan't bother.

We can get the men if domestic abuse to care about their welfare by encouraging everyone to help them, not just men.

But how do you think we can get just men to care more about their own welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Men's Rights nonsense, islamophobia, anti-immigrant fear-mongering, dole threads, ill-informed anti-feminist sh*te, sexual and racially charged 'banter'...

After Hours: where lonely, frightened, mentally unstable men come to vent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh he tried JS and yes he had a solicitor, but it's remarkably difficult to stand one's ground when the weight of societal perception is ranged against you. Basically if the woman in cases like this says "abuse" even if the evidence is nil, the system is much more likely to take her side. Women are much more a "protected species" in such cases where they have no need to be, yet ironically can be less in the cases where they need protection.
    Down the same tedious repetitive plughole it all goes.
    It's called debate, people will both agree and disagree, you don't necessarily hold a valid position that goes without enquiry just because it skirts within the realms of "sacred cow" philosophy. Personally speaking I work on the principle that sacred cows should be slaughtered, butchered and put on the spit to let the real flavour come out. After all that's how we came to the point of thinking that women shouldn't be dismissed and discriminated against. If this forum was around in 1814 rather than 2014 and I suggested "eh women are equal to men, the individual and not gender should be deciding factor" I'm quite sure the sacred cow adherents would be out in force to shoot me down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Men's Rights nonsense
    Interesting mix of words there Ted.
    Ah yes let's break out the "shaming" language that you would break out in a rash before you did similar with [insert "liberal" protected group here].

I know, here's an idea, maybe engage in the debate, break down the internal why's and wherefore's rather than dismiss them? Sure it may take more interaction and brain power, but sure give it the oul college try. You and we might learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Men's Rights nonsense, islamophobia, anti-immigrant fear-mongering, dole threads, ill-informed anti-feminist sh*te, sexual and racially charged 'banter'...

And almost half of your posts are right here, in After Hours

MOD

Post constructively/on topic or don't post

-KERSPLAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This won't end well

I think that's the entire point

It's called debate, people will both agree and disagree, you don't necessarily hold a valid position that goes without enquiry just because it skirts within the realms of "sacred cow" philosophy. Personally speaking I work on the principle that sacred cows should be slaughtered, butchered and put on the spit to let the real flavour come out. After all that's how we came to the point of thinking that women shouldn't be dismissed and discriminated against. If this forum was around in 1814 rather than 2014 and I suggested "eh women are equal to men, the individual and not gender should be deciding factor" I'm quite sure the sacred cow adherents would be out in force to shoot me down.

For a start, the comment was on how these threads - started to get a particular reaction, usually, tend to go round in circles and the same posters make the same points - myself included - until it's locked or everyone gets bored and then two weeks later it starts all over again with tedious predictability. The one good thing is that it's happening more concisely recently, and self-destructing in fewer pages.

I don't remember asking or expecting to be above challenge or question. Nor do I believe in 'scared cows', nor need the meaning of debate defined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Can anyone post a single good reason why groups devoted to helping women in such situations, should not devote resources to men in similar situations as well? (that includes in public awareness campaigns and such)

Makes no sense at all, to have any discrimination there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can anyone post a single good reason why groups devoted to helping women in such situations, should not devote resources to men in similar situations as well? (that includes in public awareness campaigns and such)

Makes no sense at all, to have any discrimination there.

Well Womens Aid do have safe houses for women who have been abused, who may feel very uncomfortable if men were to share the facilities offered?

Stheno wrote: »
    Well Womens Aid do have safe houses for women who have been abused, who may feel very uncomfortable if men were to share the facilities offered?
    What does a persons gender have to do, with the fact that they have been abused? They all need help, regardless of gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What does a persons gender have to do, with the fact that they have been abused? They all need help, regardless of gender.

I think its a tradional thing womans aid...going back years and years

don't think its founder set out with a **** them attitude to male sufferes of domestic abuse

*I could be wrong though

I could, but something tells me that if you haven't informed yourself by now, I'm more likely to be wasting my time, so I shan't bother.

But how do you think we can get just men to care more about their own welfare?

I stated that most women have done nothing to fight for women's rights, that's simply a fact. You are the one who is ill informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Stheno wrote: »

That only stops organisations that have a single shelter.
    Any large organisation could offer segregated safe houses to both genders.

I think its a tradional thing womans aid...going back years and years

don't think its founder set out with a **** them attitude to male sufferes of domestic abuse

*I could be wrong though
    Ah, of course not, no - it's done with the best of intentions, but why exactly aught male victims be unwelcome? The problem is abusive partners, not a persons gender - so gender should have no bearing on who is accepted in.

For a start, the comment was on how these threads - started to get a particular reaction, usually, tend to go round in circles and the same posters make the same points - myself included - until it's locked or everyone gets bored and then two weeks later it starts all over again with tedious predictability. The one good thing is that it's happening more concisely recently, and self-destructing in fewer pages.

I don't remember asking or expecting to be above challenge or question. Nor do I believe in 'scared cows', nor need the meaning of debate defined.

Ok so do you want to debate the merits of the subject matter or not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement