Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybunion

• 23-09-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone

In a week from now it is my birthday and I was thinking to go and drink a coffee on the shores of Atlantic. I am from Eastern Europea so I have never seen it.

Anyway, could someone please recommend me a good and safe way to go to and return from there? I have to be back at UL by 15 so something quite earlish...

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you driving or thinking of using public transport?

Driving = use the N69, slightly over an hour from Limerick

Public transport = there are no trains and I'd guess there's only Bus Eireann running busses to/from Ballyb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Last time I had to get to Ballybunion by public transport (to collect a broken-down car) it took over 2 hours, changing bus at Listowel, and IIRC there were only about two buses per day. Welcome to Ireland! :(

If you just want to see the sea, Kilkee or Lahinch in Co. Clare are probably better served - check on buseireann.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phog wrote: »
    Are you driving or thinking of using public transport?

Driving = use the N69, slightly over an hour from Limerick

Public transport = there are no trains and I'd guess there's only Bus Eireann running busses to/from Ballyb
    N69 is a lovely road to drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PittBrave

Unfortunatelly I do not have a car so I will have to rely on public transportation. But Kilkee and Lahinch are great alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

N69 is a lovely road to drive on.

Only if you are on a "Sunday" drive, it's not great if you want to make time, too many restricted speed limits and poor overtaking opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phog wrote: »
    Only if you are on a "Sunday" drive, it's not great if you want to make time, too many restricted speed limits and poor overtaking opportunities.
    Oh yes, if you get stuck behind a granny it can be tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

peckerhead wrote: »
    Last time I had to get to Ballybunion by public transport (to collect a broken-down car) it took over 2 hours, changing bus at Listowel, and IIRC there were only about two buses per day. Welcome to Ireland! :(

If you just want to see the sea, Kilkee or Lahinch in Co. Clare are probably better served - check on buseireann.ie.

Killkee or lahinch would be nicer op. Also consider getting a tour bus to cliffs of moher as a day trip. Spanish point would be another option. the beach in ballybunion is great but the town is a bit meh! no place to get coffee with a view of the atlantic unless you go to the golf course I do not know if they leave members of the public in.

Fanore would be nice too

Advertisement