Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 - buy sim-free or on bill pay??

• 23-09-2014 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What?? It's €99 + €59 x 24 (€1416) = €1515

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Doh!!! You are correct ... op changed.

Please ignore as it would seem there is no difference between bill-pay and sim free.
    There will be differences but it depends on what you need from your plan as to which might be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Think O2 are 1499 for a comparable plan.

Three with a sim only phone on the 20.33 deal is 1186.
    Three with bill pay works out at 1204.

You may want to buy a bigger barge-pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Vodafone dont have prices on their website for 6. ANyone any idea? Im due an upgrade..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Have always personally bought them unlocked. If you can afford to, I'd say but it unlocked. But then you're more reliant on Apple if it breaks after the 1 year warranty, as you can usually contact your carrier after that. Never been a personal issue though. Plan on buying my 6 unlocked on Friday from the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The Vodafone prices are mad. For the one i want it's €449(+ 64g) on Vodafone and €350 on meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

I've gone unlocked this time. I've been stuck on a crappy o2 plan for years but it's far better than their newer plans. With the acquisition by 3 recently it looks like 3's EDGE capability will improve once they start to use the o2 network so I'm going to go PrePay SIM only with 3 I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

squonk wrote: »
    I've gone unlocked this time. I've been stuck on a crappy o2 plan for years but it's far better than their newer plans. With the acquisition by 3 recently it looks like 3's EDGE capability will improve once they start to use the o2 network so I'm going to go PrePay SIM only with 3 I reckon.

Bare in mind O2 will give you 15% discount on your monthly bill if you re-sign...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

True but €20 compared to €45 > 50% discount!

If you you can link to a eircom landline you can get it on emobile unlimited calls/texts + 5Gb of data.

24 euro*6 months + 39 euro*18 months = 846 (average of 35.2 euro a month) + 199 for the iPhone 6 16g total = 1045 euro over 24 months. You will struggle to get it that cheap buying sim free and getting a sim only or pre-pay plan and you are not forking out 700 up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

OK, so I'm thinking about getting the new iPhone 6.

Initially, I was going to buy directly from Apple... The cheapest iPhone 6 16gb is €699 and if I get a Meteor sim-free deal for €35/month the total cost of ownership (tco) over 24 months will be €1539.

If I get the same phone on contract for Meteor from €99 and the bill-pay plan of €59/month the tco will be €1515.

Have I got that right? It seems like NO difference between the two. So sim-free better then I suppose?

Similar figures for Vodafone, and wouldn't touch Three with a very, very long bargepole.

(Note: I know the deals are not directly comparable, but close enough to be very similar)

Buy outright 699
    48months sim @ 20e a month x 12 240
    (Or similar) =939 =12 months
    Sell Fone next year for 350
    Buy new iPhone 6s for 699(less 350)
    Cost of new Fone = 349
    48 months x12 months 240
    Total total for year 2 589
    Total over 2 years 1528

Running cost after year 2 would be approx 590 per year
    Which would include new Fone every year which also be unlocked.....48months also have a 10euro a month sim could reduce costs even further or if u get more for ur 1 year old iPhone ....
    Don't bash me over these figures if I haven't added them correct ........

Advertisement