Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour 'pruning' council tree

• 23-09-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey folks,

Looking for a bit of advice please...

I live in a semi-d, where on the verge outside our houses (at edge of footpath/road) a two trees have been planted- one outside my house and another outside the neighbours. They are about 10yrs old and the one outside my house gives good privacy.

I happened to be home one day recently and I saw the next door neighbour attack some of the branches on the tree outside my house with an electric chainsaw! I was aghast!!!! They like to park their SUV on the road (their other car does be in the driveway) so Im assuming the haphazard pruning is due to them wanting to park there.

The neighbours aren't approachable & while I don't want this to turn nasty I do want them to leave the tree alone. Surely they should park elsewhere rather than attacking a tree?

I've established that the council owns the trees.

I checked the tree outside my house again at the wknd (when they were out) & it appears that it has been hacked again :( I'm afraid they'll damage it so much that it'll die

What do I do? Is there something I can get that could protect the tree from being pruned ? I'd only contact the council as a last resort... Involving the residents association is a non runner either as next door are part of that clique, plus I don't want to involve other neighbours/ start a street war...

All advice greatly received!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well the damage is done now, so annoying as it is, you can't repair it. It depends on what kind of tree you have but it is unlikely to kill it.

You could approach the council and complain about how the tree has been vandalised, without naming names (it was only by chance that you saw him), though i don't imagine it will get much response.

You could go to the residents association and complain about 'trees being vandalised, was it the council that did it, and what can we do about it', again without naming names.

Or you can say indignantly to your neighbour, have you seen what the council have done to that tree, its a disgrace, etc, I am going to contact them and complain.

In other words, don't let on you know it was your neighbour, hope he doesn't read boards, and make a bit of noise about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 IceScream

Thanks for your response looksee- a few good ideas in there! I doubt very much that they would be on Boards, even if they are then let this be a good hint for them ;)

I've been taking photos alright and made sure that my neighbour saw me taking photos previously, in the hope that they'd see that I've copped what they are doing, but it didn't make any difference seeing as they were butchered again sometime recently.

The day I saw him attack the tree, there was another neighbour in his company but like I said previously Im not wanting to involve others. I also had a visitor in my house who witnessed it so its not like its just my word against his.

Perhaps my next move should be to invite one of the residents committee members over to have a good look at the tree, without blaming my neighbour, but in full view of my neighbour. If it was to happen again then I might think more strongly about involving the council...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Next time you see them do that go out and tell them to leave the f***ing tree alone. Why are you being so nice about this? They obviously have no respect for the tree, other people's property or you. To hell with them. If you do nothing the tree will go and their SUV will be parked on your verge which will become a muddy mess.
    Good luck.

Thanks Redser!
    I just don't want any hassle from them- Im already experiencing some attempts of intimidation from them and their friends amongst other neighbours, all as a result of having previously asked them to be mindful of the racket they make during the small hours of the night/ morning (never mind the racket during the day)!
    Perhaps I do need to report them as a warning to back off/ start showing some respect.

A terrible situation. We fell out with a neighbour over similar issues. Now that the dust has settled I'm glad we have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Disagreements with neighbours are best avoided - In my road I've seen neighbours fall out over extensions and the situation getting so bad that one of them decided to sell up and move out.

Some gentle of pruning of trees is always a good idea. I am quite tall and walk to get public transport each morning. Trees tend to hang low over paths especially when wet (often giving me a good soaking) and I have judiciously pruned back council trees from time to time - I think most people were glad I did!

Unfortunately across the road from me (the side of a property), the owner of the property decided this year to completely remove two trees which were providing excellent cover. Unfortunately this was followed up by the Council doing a tree survey and then also took out many trees (but only where they blocked the street lights because they were too tall). They also pruned all other trees to give ground clearance up to 3 metres. I reported the neighbours tree felling (not adjacent to any lights) to the local CoCo. who have offered to replant trees and bill the owner for the expense - I wait to see what happens!

Best advice is to report it to the council and let them sort it out - its not worth falling out with your neighbours over

Thanks homer, I too am tall and agree with gentle pruning, especially at footpaths, but I don't agree with randomly hacking bits of branches with an electric chainsaw just so you can park your car there... They could park at the end of their own drive this avoiding the need to hack at anything.

I've tried saying hi since yer wan lost the cool with me but I get dagger states in return etc. They also don't correct their small children from belting the bejaysus out of the communal shrubbery/ breaking branches from other trees. A previous poster was spot on in saying that these folk appear to have no respect for anything or anyone.

Best wishes for getting your neighbour to foot that bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

On a somewhat similar topic, what is the story with trimming back a neighbor's tree that is overhanging into my garden? can I cut it back without permission? the neighbor has planted some new trees which if let grow will block light from my garden in the evenings. I made the mistake of not doing anything about some trees he planted years ago and those now completely overshadow half my back garden, blocking light and all my plants and lawn under the trees are dying off. I really don't want to let the same happen with the new trees so I am thinking I will cut back the branches that are overhanging.

Hi Sconsey, your query is addressed on treecouncil . ie - check under trees and law

I can't post the link as Im a newbie ;(

There are also a few threads on here that deal with your issue, I only wish mine was as straight forward... Hope it works out in your favour!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sconsey wrote: »
    On a somewhat similar topic, what is the story with trimming back a neighbor's tree that is overhanging into my garden? can I cut it back without permission? the neighbor has planted some new trees which if let grow will block light from my garden in the evenings. I made the mistake of not doing anything about some trees he planted years ago and those now completely overshadow half my back garden, blocking light and all my plants and lawn under the trees are dying off. I really don't want to let the same happen with the new trees so I am thinking I will cut back the branches that are overhanging.

Best thing would be to talk to your neighbour and come to an amicable agreement. If he is inclined to be not interested then notify him that you propose to cut back overhanging branches, you are entitled to do this. Strictly speaking you should return to him the branches you cut off, but this could be seen as passive aggressive, it might be a good opener to say that you are proposing to cut the trees back, and does he want you to return the branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

You need to separate the two things - cutting trees and parking cars.

People are allowed to park cars on the road. That's the way it works. Whether you think they should park somewhere else is interesting, but not relevant *to the matter of the trees*

You use quite strong language - attacking the tree, hacking, etc . . . which in most other peoples terminology is "cutting the tree". When you boil the issue down, it's the fact that they are cutting a council owned tree that's the problem. The car is incidental. The nature of the cutting is incidental, unless you are worried about the trees suffering.

If you are talking to the council then keep to the facts - person cutting tree without authorisation. Using language like attacking, or bringing in the car issue won't help.

z
    IceScream wrote: »
    Thanks homer, I too am tall and agree with gentle pruning, especially at footpaths, but I don't agree with randomly hacking bits of branches with an electric chainsaw just so you can park your car there... They could park at the end of their own drive this avoiding the need to hack at anything.

I've tried saying hi since yer wan lost the cool with me but I get dagger states in return etc. They also don't correct their small children from belting the bejaysus out of the communal shrubbery/ breaking branches from other trees. A previous poster was spot on in saying that these folk appear to have no respect for anything or anyone.

Best wishes for getting your neighbour to foot that bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'm sure what they have done is illegal and potentially dangerous. However, with the Council and Authorities, the more brazen you are the more you will get away with.

Your only real option is to contact the Council: tell them that someone has cut a tree and that it doesn't look to be a very professional job and that you have a genuine concern that this tree could be destabilised and fall on your car. (Mentioning "liability" to Councils will get their attention) Yes, you may have to embellish the details to get them to look at it but there is little else at your disposal.

zagmund wrote: »
    You need to separate the two things - cutting trees and parking cars.

People are allowed to park cars on the road. That's the way it works. Whether you think they should park somewhere else is interesting, but not relevant *to the matter of the trees*

You use quite strong language - attacking the tree, hacking, etc . . . which in most other peoples terminology is "cutting the tree". When you boil the issue down, it's the fact that they are cutting a council owned tree that's the problem. The car is incidental. The nature of the cutting is incidental, unless you are worried about the trees suffering.

If you are talking to the council then keep to the facts - person cutting tree without authorisation. Using language like attacking, or bringing in the car issue won't help.

z
    Badly pruning a tree can lead to the death of the tree. Hacking away with a chainsaw can only be worse. so i think the language is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

redser7 wrote: »
    Badly pruning a tree can lead to the death of the tree. Hacking away with a chainsaw can only be worse. so i think the language is appropriate.

Can seem to see the pics that show this?? Any chance of a share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭anewme

its a kind of an obvious one.......council are going to be seriously interested in some eejit cutting a tree!!!!!!????

So your options are, let him cut the tree and just complain afterwards
    or
    confront him and say, this is a council tree and I dont want you cutting it, or killing it and I am going to report you (even if council do sod all).....

Only thing you can do is threaten to report him, it will or wont work......its one of those where you have to be direct.....otherwise you are just annoying yourself

dardevle wrote: »
    Can seem to see the pics that show this?? Any chance of a share?

Read the OP's posts. Why do you need photos? Why do you doubt their word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

redser7 wrote: »
    Read the OP's posts. Why do you need photos? Why do you doubt their word?

Apologies if i missed it but the op seemed to suggest there were pics of the attack and i just thought it maybe useful to see them so as to make up my own mind on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

zagmund wrote: »
    People are allowed to park cars on the road. That's the way it works.

On the road yes (with certain restrictions), on a grass verge/ footpath, no. I'm assuming the trees here aren't protruding onto the roadway.

Advertisement