Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o'hanlon article

• 23-09-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone got a link to the article Gary O'Hanlon mentioned on his FB page yesterday - about him and his dad?

Can't find it myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    A well known poster in that picture, Can you guess who it is??
    Do I win a prize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

A well known poster in that picture, Can you guess who it is??

who?

Ososlo wrote: »
    who?

That's TbL on the right.........

(Joke)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Our own XX, famous he is. Not everybody gets one of the Amphibian King singlets easily!

ah cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Too slow with my delete, deleted just in case he wasn't happy with me revealing his identity!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Will be interesting to see if O'Hanlon can go sub 2.20. No doubt he has the talent I just wonder how much his intensive racing schedule will effect him come October.....What to people think?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Too slow with my delete, deleted just in case he wasn't happy with me revealing his identity!

Bruce Wayne?

Will be interesting to see if O'Hanlon can go sub 2.20. No doubt he has the talent I just wonder how much his intensive racing schedule will effect him come October.....What to people think?

Going sub 2:20 in DCM is a tall ask when he ran 2:22:52 in Rotterdam. DCM is probably at least 2+ min slower than Rotterdam so thats like 5 mins. That would be a big jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

rom wrote: »
    Going sub 2:20 in DCM is a tall ask when he ran 2:22:52 in Rotterdam. DCM is probably at least 2+ min slower than Rotterdam so thats like 5 mins. That would be a big jump.

Yeah. I can't see Gary going sub 2.20. Especially when he races nearly every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

God, that fella to the left is handsome....wowser! :pac::pac:

I wouldn't back against him. He is easily running sub 70 halfs week after week with usually very little competition. Essentially a long solo run. Not easy to do. A bit of luck and support (get in a group) and anything can happen. Rotterdam was a 'bad' race for him so with a good race he will be thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I think he will go sub 2.20
    Be interesting to see how he goes in Athlone three quarter as he usually races that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

I suspect there are an awful lot of people who would love it if he was to break 2.20 in Dublin. I wouldn't know much about running but GO'H did look very comfortable at the finish of the 1/2 marathon on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To go sub 2.20 surely a 69 HM time is too slow?

walshb wrote: »
    To go sub 2.20 surely a 69 HM time is too slow?

It would be but he used it as a good hard run on tired legs. He didn't race it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's TbL on the right.........

(Joke)

Feck you Meno,

my tats are in much more discrete places :)

TbL

He tell you this?

Didn't he also run 69 the week before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

He tell you this?

Didn't he also run 69 the week before?

Ignore the troll DR

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Ignore the troll DR

Why get involved in a simple two way posting if that's the best you have?

The man ran 69.5 a few weeks back and then ran another 69..

That's two 69 runs. I would have thought that a bit slow for a 2.20 marathon time, hence the question. I was told it was because he didn't race that time. Plus, he is 40 now, 3 years past his 2.26. Gotta' be a big ask to run 2.20. If both those 69 runs were him not at full effort then great, he could well be on for 2.20

No need for your smart alec hijacking. It's a forum for discussion and questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He's well capable of running faster than 69, he ran fast enough to win the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Has he raced a half marathon recently? He should have went to Charleville instead of the phoenix park. Times in cork looked very fast

RayCun wrote: »
    He's well capable of running faster than 69, he ran fast enough to win the race.

He was 2-3 mins clear of his nearest competitor I think. That would make sense I guess. For 2.20 you should be aiming for low 67s maybe for HM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He was 2-3 mins clear of his nearest competitor I think. That would make sense I guess. For 2.20 you should be aiming for low 67s maybe for HM?

at that level you don't plug times into MacMillan. He'd know himself how his buildup is going.

Has he raced a half marathon recently? He should have went to Charleville instead of the phoenix park. Times in cork looked very fast

True. I guess it's about what the individual athletes wants from each race. Sometimes a person wants a fast time and other times its about creating a training stimulus. For example, running on fatigued legs. And lastly, sometimes it's about pacing/winning!

Why get involved in a simple two way posting if that's the best you have?

The man ran 69.5 a few weeks back and then ran another 69..

That's two 69 runs. I would have thought that a bit slow for a 2.20 marathon time, hence the question. I was told it was because he didn't race that time. Plus, he is 40 now, 3 years past his 2.26. Gotta' be a big ask to run 2.20. If both those 69 runs were him not at full effort then great, he could well be on for 2.20

No need for your smart alec hijacking. It's a forum for discussion and questions.

He ran 2.22 in Rotterdam this year.

That is a good time on what I believe to be a more forgiving course to Dublin. Maybe I am wrong, but would Dublin be considered only a fair course? I assume he wants a 2.20 in the DCM?

Yes indeed; 5 weeks after winning a 50k in 2:59 (through mara in 2:29) and 3 weeks after winning a hilly tralee Marathon in 2:26 (while running an extra half mile due to Marshall error). I think he had particular problems in Rotterdam which meant he was unable to perform at his best, he was gunning for sub 2:17 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Yes indeed; 5 weeks after winning a 50k in 2:59 (through mara in 2:29) and 3 weeks after winning a hilly tralee Marathon in 2:26 (while running an extra half mile due to Marshall error). I think he had particular problems in Rotterdam which meant he was unable to perform at his best, he was gunning for sub 2:17 there.

really? wow! I'm guessing this is not something most marathon runners would do? especially the bit about the Tralee marathon. That extra half mile would give him a 2.23/24 finish time by my sums. I looked at the resultsb and he seemed to be running alone too. In that article it mentions he coaches people, do they do those sort of distances in training to

• Advertisement

really? wow! I'm guessing this is not something most marathon runners would do? especially the bit about the Tralee marathon. That extra half mile would give him a 2.23/24 finish time by my sums. I looked at the resultsb and he seemed to be running alone too. In that article it mentions he coaches people, do they do those sort of distances in training to

As he says himself, we wouldn't advise anyone to do what he does! He uses most races as training runs. He very rarely targets times.

Like all good coaches he adapts his approach to each individual athlete.

Advertisement