Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o'hanlon article

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck to him on his quest, I was watching the half in the park last week at around the 10 mile mark, he breezed by on his own and genuinely looked like he was out for a training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Think he might be under real pressure to run sub 2-20 in Dublin. Any reason why he chose to run at PMP for the win in Dublin Half with no competition when everyone else seemed to be in Charleville half the next day? I was surprised not to see him joining us in Charleville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

walshb wrote: »
    It's a forum for discussion and questions.

And nearly every "question" you ask is a gentle troll looking for fish to bite. You're not even a good/ funny troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Think he might be under real pressure to run sub 2-20 in Dublin. Any reason why he chose to run at PMP for the win in Dublin Half with no competition when everyone else seemed to be in Charleville half the next day? I was surprised not to see him joining us in Charleville.

Probably for the prize money (don't mean that in a bad way but it was some nice prize money for what was essentially a training run).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

pconn062 wrote: »
    Probably for the prize money (don't mean that in a bad way but it was some nice prize money for what was essentially a training run).

I remember him telling me the prize money is not great in those races. I guess it's local to him and a good training run. Not his fault the lack of competition.

Also a lot of athletes he coaches would have been running and he was at the finish seeing how they got on.

BTW he nearly missed the start again ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Will be interesting to see if O'Hanlon can go sub 2.20. No doubt he has the talent I just wonder how much his intensive racing schedule will effect him come October.....What to people think?
    I think he will go sub 2.20
    Be interesting to see how he goes in Athlone three quarter as he usually races that one.

I really like Gary, hes a sound bloke but sometimes I feel like physically restraining him from racing. I honestly think if he had raced more sparingly he'd have qualified for London 2012 (and wouldve done well). Its like he just cant stop himself from racing all the time and thats not such a good thing, looking at the long term picture. Rio 2016 isnt out of the question for him, thats for sure but bloody hell he needs to rein it in, look after himself and race sparingly and smartly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

tunguska wrote: »
    I really like Gary, hes a sound bloke but sometimes I feel like physically restraining him from racing. I honestly think if he had raced more sparingly he'd have qualified for London 2012 (and wouldve done well). Its like he just cant stop himself from racing all the time and thats not such a good thing, looking at the long term picture. Rio 2016 isnt out of the question for him, thats for sure but bloody hell he needs to rein it in, look after himself and race sparingly and smartly.

What's Gary's PB at half marathon? Is it 66 or 67? He's a top runner but you'd hardly be looking at London 2012 or Rio 2016 qualifying with that half PB? Why does he race every week when there were opportunities like a place on the marathon team in Zurich for the Euros this year? As you said Tunguska if he'd have reigned back in the racing he might have been pulling on the Irish vest at the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What's Gary's PB at half marathon? Is it 66 or 67? He's a top runner but you'd hardly be looking at London 2012 or Rio 2016 qualifying with that half PB?

But this is the point Im making, who knows what his Half PB would be if he had looked after himself and not raced so much. Its not even too late now. If he was to call a halt to the constant marathons and halfs and whatever else, be careful and selective in the races he chooses, doesnt continuously flog the training.........he'd have a chance at qualifying for Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

tunguska wrote: »
    But this is the point Im making, who knows what his Half PB would be if he had looked after himself and not raced so much. Its not even too late now. If he was to call a halt to the constant marathons and halfs and whatever else, be careful and selective in the races he chooses, doesnt continuously flog the training.........he'd have a chance at qualifying for Rio.

And there is no way he can have any decent periodisation in his plan. He seems to race from January to December.

I think Rio is pushing it. Fagan, Cragg, Pollock, Sweeney, Hehir, Ledwith, Christie are all ahead of him for Olympic or WC qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimpeters

There's 0% chance Gary will make Rio, and he'll tell you the same himself. 69 mins half marathon's week in week out is nothing extraordinary for any elite distance athlete. Most could, but don't, do the same. Lets not get carried away.

Kudos to Gary in that he's picking up money for these efforts when others are doing weekend sessions with greater effort. Can't knock the guy for that at all.

Will he run sub 2.20 in Dublin? Highly unlikely. Gary's HM best is mid 67 mins, so while he's clearly very strong, a 2 mins differential between that and a half way split, rarely, rarely happens. Not impossible. His style on the road is good, so like many good athletes they'll always look easy winning in times below their best.

Dublin won't have many athletes going at that sub 2.20 pace, so like nearly every year he's run the race, he'll be on his own for large sections.

Athlone will be a good indicator of his form, as he's done it twice I think leading in to the DCM. Hopefully the conditions will be the same as previous years and the comparison in times will be easy.

Which Irish athletes are racing Dublin by the way? Good prize money for the Irish athletes again so I hope it brings a them out again this year.

Fagan isn't doing it. Cragg is running NYC. Pollock injured. Hehir not doing it apparently. Would Clohissey go for this 4th National title of the year? Ciobanu qualifies for the National Title (and prize money) so should be there or thereabouts. Frazer? McGinley and Hamilton will probably be there. MacMahon? Thornton? Hogan? Seaward? Harty? Kenneally seems to have raced a few 5k's in August, but stopped again. Is he injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

If Clohissey is running it'll be very interesting how he gets on. He had a good run in the R'n'R. The field looks fairly weak at the moment. Surely a few of the British/Europeans should target it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

jimpeters wrote: »
    There's 0% chance Gary will make Rio, and he'll tell you the same himself. 69 mins half marathon's week in week out is nothing extraordinary for any elite distance athlete. Most could, but don't, do the same. Lets not get carried away.

Kudos to Gary in that he's picking up money for these efforts when others are doing weekend sessions with greater effort. Can't knock the guy for that at all.

Will he run sub 2.20 in Dublin? Highly unlikely. Gary's HM best is mid 67 mins, so while he's clearly very strong, a 2 mins differential between that and a half way split, rarely, rarely happens. Not impossible. His style on the road is good, so like many good athletes they'll always look easy winning in times below their best.

Dublin won't have many athletes going at that sub 2.20 pace, so like nearly every year he's run the race, he'll be on his own for large sections.

Athlone will be a good indicator of his form, as he's done it twice I think leading in to the DCM. Hopefully the conditions will be the same as previous years and the comparison in times will be easy.

Which Irish athletes are racing Dublin by the way? Good prize money for the Irish athletes again so I hope it brings a them out again this year.

Fagan isn't doing it. Cragg is running NYC. Pollock injured. Hehir not doing it apparently. Would Clohissey go for this 4th National title of the year? Ciobanu qualifies for the National Title (and prize money) so should be there or thereabouts. Frazer? McGinley and Hamilton will probably be there. MacMahon? Thornton? Hogan? Seaward? Harty? Kenneally seems to have raced a few 5k's in August, but stopped again. Is he injured?

Harry is very similar IMHO a guy that loves to race and is more likely to get injured rather than break through performance. Would love to see Gary run one with 6 months of training and a normal racing schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Anyone know what's happened to Mark Christie?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

I would love to see him get his 2:17, i think he would be a foolish man to say that he is going to get 2:17 and not get it. he surely knows his own capabilities. Good luck to him. its a big ask though

Read that Freddy Situk is planning to run DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Be interesting to see what Freddy can produce (if he's competing). Like GOH, it's difficult to see his real potential, as he's another serial (weekly) racer in a similar vein. I think he's had the edge over GOH in most of their recent bouts (doing just enough in each case to take the win), but against a stronger field, not sure how he'll play it. Will he stay with the runners contesting the national title, or try and tag on to some of the stronger elite groups? Can he contest the national title in a similar manner to Sergio?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Also Sergio is, these two are fairly well matched and probably favourites for Irish honours..Paddy Hamilton also going well. Dunno about Clohissey has he ever ran a marathon?

Mccambridge probably the womens favourite assuming she is running unless FB decides to run ? Nicola D still injured, Sarah Mulligan would go well also . Am in the dark here dont know if ay of these girls are going for it!

Anyone know what's happened to Mark Christie?

He beat Fagan in a 5k last month, he ran 14:09.

He beat Fagan in a 5k last month, he ran 14:09.

Impressive - assume he won't be running Dublin though?

Impressive - assume he won't be running Dublin though?

That, I don't know. If he was, I think he would be doing more tune-up races around now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That, I don't know. If he was, I think he would be doing more tune-up races around now.

I wouldn't read to much into that, both him and Kiernan have in the past been known for very light racing schedules (remember Sweeney's build up last year being pretty light also)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I believe he might be doing a 4 mile road race up my way tomorrow. So I've been told by the organiser anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Pos Name Race No Time Category Categ Pos Gender Gender Pos Time Behind Overall
    1 Mark Christie 2 00:19:07 Senior 1 Male 1 +00:00:00
    2 Gary O'hanlon 1 00:19:44 Senior 2 Male 2 +00:00:37
    3 Brian "figo" Mc Cluskey 81 00:20:34 Senior 3 Male 3 +00:01:27
    4 Garry Campbell 65 00:20:42 Junior 1 Male 4 +00:01:35
    5 Cathal Doyle 53 00:21:16 Junior 2 Male 5 +00:02:09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Dragging this up thread as thought it current given Gary's time in Berlin today. He knocked it off in 2.19! 3 years after this was posted so it took him a bit of time.

Super achievement.

A pb by 2.5 mins. Not sure how he did it as he ran Longford in 2.25 or so and that was in the last month!

An inspiration to everyone and given his age it shows that its never too late.

Well done to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

That was a brilliant run fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Won his age group in Berlin too i believe

Advertisement