Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swimming Club

• 23-09-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Can someone tell me how good a swimmer you have to be to join a swimming club. Do they accept people who are not at master standard. I want to start open water swimming next season and you seem to need to be in a club to enter the leinster races.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Firstly what can you do in a pool now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr.Magooo

mad m wrote: »
    Firstly what can you do in a pool now?

I started swimming last April and I have got my self up to 32 lengths (25M pool) with short breaks in between ever couple of lengths.
    I don't come from a swimming back ground so as far as drills and such I have no clue.

Its not so much as what i can do now, its more about what standard do I need to get to to join a club.
    After an injury, (& age) swimming is the only sport I can now participate in and i want to take it seriously. Open water swimming next season is my goal, but I need and want to join a club for that.
    Swimming in a pool full of chlorine is fine, for some reason the cold sea full of jelly fish appeals more to me.
    If I knew what standard I need to be at I will work hard to get there.

Magoo

Magoo

• Registered Users Posts: 30 oneils23

I would also be interested in hearing a about this. Looking to join a club and train for sea swims next year. Swim occasionally, about 40 lengths without stopping. Based in South County Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok so firstly, there is no problem in joining a Masters Group, more the merrier and revenue for the swim club. You could asked to be assessed by the coach on the given night a Master session is on.

They will cater for all levels plus give you guidence. Now where are you from? My Club Templeogue do a masters session on Monday night and Wednesday evening. Click link.

Link

Also Dublin Swimming club do Master Session, link below

Link

Now open water swimming is totally different than pool swimming, you have to battle with tide/currents,swimmers,sighting.

Checkout Leinster open sea page also.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/?page_id=42

As I said go along to a Masters Session and tell the coach your ability. Also it wouldnt hurt you to get a video analysis done plus doing a few extra practice sessions involving drills. Dont worry about going along also. We all had to start from somewhere, there will be other swimmers at your level. You will improve your fitness and stamina once in a Masters group, but dont be fooled it wont happen over night, it takes a lot of practice and determination.

Anymore Questions let us know here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr.Magooo

Thanks very much for the information. Going to read through it now.
    Might need to get back to you.

Magoo

• Advertisement
Advertisement