Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated pad safe for cat?

• 23-09-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I am interested in buying one of these for my cat for the cold winter nights. She sleeps indoors always but I would like her to be as cosy as possible as she loves warmth. I was looking at the electric heated pads that you cover with a fleece or something. I am just worried as to their safety. Has anyone experienced using one for their pet?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Snugglesafe microwaveable heat pads are fab... just fab :)
    Once you cover them with a fleece blanket, they stay warm for a good 8 hours. And no problems with using an electrical product around animals (e.g. chewing, peeing on, spilling water one etc)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_pads/129427

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

DBB wrote: »
    Snugglesafe microwaveable heat pads are fab... just fab :)
    Once you cover them with a fleece blanket, they stay warm for a good 8 hours. And no problems with using an electrical product around animals (e.g. chewing, peeing on, spilling water one etc)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_pads/129427

Yeah I saw these online but thought they looked very small although they do seem very safe.

angeline wrote: »
    Yeah I saw these online but thought they looked very small although they do seem very safe.

They're the size of a plastic frisbee, a little bit thicker. The heat from them radiates through the bed... I usually stick one into my old dog's bed at one end so that she can choose to lie at the heated end of the bed, or not.

That sounds good thanks. My cat tends to sleep on fleecy blankets rather than in beds so I couldplace this under the blanket for her. Very important that her highness is not cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I use one of the snugglesafe ones myself during the winter, as they stay warm for so long :o

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I use one of the snugglesafe ones myself during the winter, as they stay warm for so long :o

*ahem*
    So do I
    :o

Read all the reviews on Zooplus and have decided to get this for her! Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

We wear them during TNRs. :D

In addition angeline you can get a fleece blanket that has a foil layer within it, so it retains heat. My auntie has one for her cat, and the cat loves it. :) Up to now I'd only ever seen them on Amazon, but they now have them in the EUROGIANT store for €5!

Your cat will be in heaven. :)

Thanks Boomerang. My cat's happiness and comfort is almost more important to me than mine. I have bought her many beds but she rejects many and instead chooses where she shall sleep! So I follow her around the house putting fleecy blankets in all her chosen places. But she deserves it for all the love and affection she throws at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Has anyone tried the self-heating pads? I'm thinking of getting some for our 4 cats. They don't like my hot waterbottle when they feel it under the duvet so I'm guessing they wouldn't like a pre-heated pad. We use fleece blankets for them at the moment but the nights are getting chillier and I'd prefer something warmer for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You lot of softies, getting heat pads for you cats!

Ours just demand to get in the bed under the covers with us if they feel chilly!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Has anyone tried the self-heating pads? I'm thinking of getting some for our 4 cats. They don't like my hot waterbottle when they feel it under the duvet so I'm guessing they wouldn't like a pre-heated pad. We use fleece blankets for them at the moment but the nights are getting chillier and I'd prefer something warmer for them.

Yep that's what I was talking about above. If you get the ones in Eurogiant they are a very modest investment. All I can tell you is that any cats we've tried them with have loved them - including ferals. :)

Water bottle under duvet didn't work for my cat either, she was too suspicious of it but don't think Snugglesafe will be as noticeable.

angeline wrote: »
    Water bottle under duvet didn't work for my cat either, she was too suspicious of it but don't think Snugglesafe will be as noticeable.

I'll never forget when Toby stood on my hot water bottle, even though it's got a fake fur cover and was under a thick duvet, he leapt in the air with all 4 paws off the bed and fled for his life.:D Zooplus have a fabulous looking self-heating bed, it's very expensive at over 30 euro, but I'm thinking of investing in 1 for the living room as an extra sleeping place for them. Poppy is constantly stealing Tobys spot on the sofa and I'm not letting her have it.

Yeah I'd rather get the bed but doubtful herself will stay in it as she tends to move around for herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think it's the fact the hot water bottles move (I mean they move under their paws) puts them off.
    I can't put damp clothes on the rads here in winter, my double rads are exactly Toby width, clothing or towels are an invite for him to lay full length on a rad.
    I got him a radiator bed and he used it once!

I got the fleecy blankets in the 2 euro shop, nice and big and only a fiver. I had them in mind for Toby as he spends a lot of his time on 'his' armchair in the kitchen, but he hates the feel of it. I thought it was just the dark colour of the Vet Bed one that he didn't like, but it seems to be the texture. Felix is zonked out on one under the coffee table and Poppy is asleep on the other one on the sofa, leaving Toby free to have his side of that sofa. Sigh, it's like having 4 kids sometimes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Bumping this as would like to find out a bit more if anyone can help..
    Little wood hut outside for Flower, she goes out about 5, I get up about 8 and let her in, only 3 hours and I'm sure she's a busy little bee but doesn't seem to be using her hut at all.
    I'm guessing the fleecy blankets feel too cold or something. It's dry and sheltered but I think I need to get something else in there to heat it up a bit.
    Only problem,I don't have a microwave.
    What are these self heating pads you guys are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

mymo wrote: »
    I think it's the fact the hot water bottles move (I mean they move under their paws) puts them off.
    I can't put damp clothes on the rads here in winter, my double rads are exactly Toby width, clothing or towels are an invite for him to lay full length on a rad.
    I got him a radiator bed and he used it once!

My cat seems to like a hard warm surface. He will use a hot water bottle, or he used to anyway but he much prefers his snuggle disc. He'd much rather stretch out on the radiator bare, then when I put a thick blanket on it to stop him burning :rolleyes:

I got him a radiator bed, like you, I think he used it once.
    I put the radiator bed on the back of the couch, hanging into the window, the bottom of it is resting on the surface of the windowsill, making it a 'hard' surface... sleeps in it there :rolleyes:

Advertisement