Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for Tyres

Options
  • 23-09-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Im looking for some car tyres where is the best place in the city to get tyres and also best price as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

O'hagens yard on Bridge street... just across from the tax office.. nice lads, family run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 marathonpat1

Thanks what is the cost there i have herad they are good

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

best go in and ask, different tyres are different prices..
    they are reasonable though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldn't go past Tom Geragthy down by the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Geraghtys for me too everytime. And I've been to all the places around town over the years. Straight, prompt and prices are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I took my car into the tyre place I now usually use - can't remember the name but they are behind O'Sheas garage on the Tramore industrial estate - as I had a slow puncture in a good tyre. I also had a tyre that was cracking badly. The guy looked at the cracked tyre and said, oh this must be one of the originals, 07, the car is 08.

Now I know I have replaced all the tyres at this stage, and the tread on the tyre looked good. I can only assume that the place in Waterford where I used to go put on a retread, though I always ask for and pay for new.

They replaced the cracked tyre and fixed the slow puncture in the other tyre (a screw in the tyre) and charged me €70 (Honda Jazz) which I figured was fair.

I am not going to name the other tyre place, as I cannot be absolutely certain, but it is not a family business.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

looksee wrote: »
    I took my car into the tyre place I now usually use - can't remember the name but they are behind O'Sheas garage on the Tramore industrial estate - as I had a slow puncture in a good tyre. I also had a tyre that was cracking badly. The guy looked at the cracked tyre and said, oh this must be one of the originals, 07, the car is 08.

Now I know I have replaced all the tyres at this stage, and the tread on the tyre looked good. I can only assume that the place in Waterford where I used to go put on a retread, though I always ask for and pay for new.

They replaced the cracked tyre and fixed the slow puncture in the other tyre (a screw in the tyre) and charged me €70 (Honda Jazz) which I figured was fair.

I am not going to name the other tyre place, as I cannot be absolutely certain, but it is not a family business.

I read somewhere (probably Boards) that by the time a tyre is placed on your car it could be 5 or 6 years old even if it's 'new'. It's to do with being kept in stock so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The place on Bridge St, don't know if he still has them, but he was doing Toyo Proxe P1's for €60 a corner! Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The thing about tyres is that you're relying on someone to tell you how good they are, for most non enthusiasts anyway.

I had a look over at this website http://www.eiretyres.com/cgi-bin/stationssuche.pl which gives a great selection, and seems to give reviews on quality etc. which I personally found a help in deciding what I wanted.

You can get these delivered to a local station who will fit them for you. As you can see from that link above, there was a 100% difference in the fitting cost between the two partners they had in Waterford.

If anything else this could be a help in deciding what tyre you want and the type of price you should expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Going to Sami Tyres in Six Crossroads business park myself next week, charging 60 a tyre for ford mondeo, was best quote i was given after calling around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 marathonpat1

Thanks lads went to bridge street and recommend them also 50 euro a tyre cant go wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Thanks lads went to bridge street and recommend them also 50 euro a tyre cant go wrong with that

Again, how do you know? Seems as though some wear differently than others, offer more fuel efficiency than others, offer less internal noise in the car etc.

Just out of interest, if anyone is ringing around, try and get the brand that the garage recommend and compare against that website. I did it a while back and got a big difference a €20 per tyre, which was just under 30% more expensive than a quote I got from a nationwide chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

We have always used the place in bridge street and can't fault them one bit, best in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

After making a few more calls, got offered part worn for €30 from billy ryan tyres in ferrybank, theyll do for now for anyone on a budget

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Wouldn't go near Billy Ryan again, twice fitted the wrong sized tyre on my car. Sold my aunt 2 'brand new' tyres that actually didn't last 6 months and also booked the car for the nct 3 wks after it was serviced here. It failed miserably. I've heard other stories from other people too. I don't know how he's still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

+1 for Tom Geragthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Billy ryan

crustybla wrote: »
    Wouldn't go near Billy Ryan again, twice fitted the wrong sized tyre on my car. Sold my aunt 2 'brand new' tyres that actually didn't last 6 months and also booked the car for the nct 3 wks after it was serviced here. It failed miserably. I've heard other stories from other people too. I don't know how he's still in business.

Have u a contact no there crusty bla.I'd like to have a chat . Sorry to hear I didn't do my job correct for u . I'd like to talk to u see what happen and when it happend . As u said in your post it's others story to that I'd like to hear about to. It's them stories that can be corrected if there true. I'm only human and can try my best . Make mistakes and try correct them . If people don't call back and tell me I will never know they was a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

+1 Tom Geragthy and they know about tyres if you can be bothered to ask then they'll sell you what will suit you. The only problem is you can be in and out so fast you forget to ask and just buy on price.

Whenever I need tyres I phone up and get a couple of prices of brand name tyres from Tom Geragthy then call a few other places and see what their prices are. Tom Geragthy is always the cheapest by a long way and as soon as I mentioned I had a price from them one local guy said sorry no way could he compete with them because they are the main distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

No offence, but I don't see the point. I'm more than happy with the garage I've been going to the past 18 months. Fair enough, other peoples stories are what I heard and that certainly doesn't make them true, I can only go on my own experience.

Advertisement