Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Bricriu

Seperate
    To/too

Bad spelling irks me, whatever the word, especially in public news outlets (it is part of their job to use language correctly). Even the RTE news website is not immune !

Even the above is not immune: RTÉ is the correct spelling.

Bricriu wrote: »
    Even the above is not immune: RTÉ is the correct spelling.

There's another discrepancy. RTÉ is pronounced R T E. The Luas announces the National College of Ireland as CNÉ, but pronounced as C N A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Karsini wrote: »
    There's another discrepancy. RTÉ is pronounced R T E. The Luas announces the National College of Ireland as CNÉ, but pronounced as C N A.

A as in far or A as in bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Is it just me, or is the standard of spelling, particularly amongst younger people, absolutely atrocious?

People spelling college as collage is the one that irks me the most. What about you?

You should probably try to perfect your use of commas before getting annoyed over other people's spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Thru instead of through.

Seems to be getting more common and it drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

When separating two complete but related sentences you use a semicolon. Using a comma in that instance is incorrect.

I would stop pursuing the course you're on at the moment. Firstly, as you will look like a fool, and secondly, I believe it's against the rules of this forum.

You know that when you post here, people respond to you in such a way because, judging from any posts you make, because you are a despicable person. I'm sure your future posts will result in such responses.

Here's just a piece of utter smugness from your "blog":
    I caught up on some important work matters from the Orient once I got back and set upon enjoying my day off. I noticed that The Baroness is starting to get a little bit chubby so I insisted we both go on a 20km cycle before lunch. I have to make sure I look at her portion sizes as well. She’s still in great shape, obviously, but once you start to slip it’s game over and I’m not having that.

I mean, do you ever just think about how pathetic your outlook on life is? Judging other people and thinking you're superior when you're clearly not. You're full of shít mate.

And idgaf, I will take the ban.. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Only one ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Taught instead of thought. Grrrrrr.

A as in far or A as in bay?

A as in "Bay". It's literally what É should be pronounced as, such as "sin é". In which case RTE should probably be pronounced as RTA if they insist on using the fada. They never did until 1995.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Drakares wrote: »
    You know that when you post here, people respond to you in such a way because, judging from any posts you make, because you are a despicable person. I'm sure your future posts will result in such responses.

I mean, do you ever just think about how pathetic your outlook on life is? Judging other people and thinking you're superior when you're clearly not. You're full of shít mate.

Just had a quick look at his blog there, and it's clear to me that it's a big giant troll. The dude is living a fantasy he will never come close to realising.

Let him off. And I hope you don't get a ban for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It does my feckin head in when people use "of" instead of "have" :mad: How did such a huge chunk of the population miss that lesson in school?

Eg people saying I would of, I could of. Aaarrrrggghhhhh.

No, it's I would've or I could've where 've is short for have not of. I mean seriously - do these people not even think of what they are saying? How does I would of even make sense?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Drakares wrote: »

I'm thinking that's a spoof account, so I wouldn't bother getting wound up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

being / been
    could of / could've

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Not exactly on topic but "irregardless". The word is just "regardless".
    It's irritating and irrestupid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When ad is written as add.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Seperate

VERY common. I presume you intentionally misspelled it there?

On the lose/loose thing. I know the difference between these but frequently, if in a hurry, I'll mix them up. I'm not sure why. I'm not going to say it's slight dyslexia, as I think that would be being over-dramatic but it's *something* that cause me to at times have difficulty with these two words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Eg people saying I would of, I could of. Aaarrrrggghhhhh.

How do you know if people are saying "could've" or "could of" though? They sound kinda the same, as could've is a contraction so you're running 'could' and 'have' together. Same with 'should'. Now, writing down "could of" or "should of" is pretty bad. I'm just not convinced they'd sound all that different in speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

So many people struggle with the spelling of "definitely", it's a crime, most browsers have spell check and phones have auto-correct, there's no excuse for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

omg wah da fk dis tred bn trnd in2!???!?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Any txt speak online or actual texts with old txt speak from people you know have smart phones with fully functional keyboards. It actually takes MORE effort to type lyk dis nowadays if you use a smart phone since autocorrect can finish words after just a few letters, so there are idiots that put effort into trying to appear like they put no effort into writing messages. I guess it's acceptable if you're still a teenager going through school but any fully educated adult that talks to me like that gets no respect.

Confusing woman and women - how is this possible? Especially women themselves actually doing it.

Anyone who did English at school and does not know the correct usage of you're & your, there & their & they're etc. Your English teachers more than likely drummed this into you. Couldn't believe how common these mistakes were in emails from professionals in an office.

Irregardless - I shouldn't have to explain this one really

Can think of lots more but they've probably already been posted. Honestly, a lot of us only speak and write in one language so we should be aiming to master it instead of butchering it out of laziness, myself included at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Angle/Angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

their/they're/there

ask/axe

weight/wait

what/wut

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

This irritates me:-

My car had good brakes.

not

My car has good breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

"Then" instead of "Than" drives me off my nut.

Not only that, but not only did my course lecturer write it that way from time to time, she also said it that way! So I heard her literally say "equal to or less then".

What in the holy....... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

There, their, they're...
    Of instead of have or 've...
    Spurious apostrophes and text speak in emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

There is at least four people that appear on my FB timeline that always spell COLLEGE wrong.... It's not COLLAGE!!!! It takes everything in me not to correct them...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The past tense of the verb to lead is becoming more commonly fcuked up as well.

lead (pronounced "leed") is the present or infinitive of the verb
    led is the past tense

lead (pronounced "led") is a fcuking metal

But you see crap like "he was lead to believe.." in newspaper articles.

That old MS Spellchecker again. Does more harm than good.

Don't get me started on "should OF..", "would OF.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

proberbly/probably
    lose/loose

I notice that teh is now not a thing very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Egginacup wrote: »

led is the past tense

You would think whoever invented this language would have had the good sense to apply that to Read pronounced Reed and Read pronounced Red. Absolute madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Egginacup wrote: »

led is the past tense

Well, you can lead a horse to water,
    but a pencil has to be lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

I have seen this often.

Special deal on purchasing a new car: 'One year's free road tax'

Should it not be 'Free road tax for one year'.

Its more incorrect sentence structure than spelling but it is still annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Queue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Anyone who says/writes/posts that they're "weary" of something or someone, when they really mean wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

One guy in my lecture spells torque as tourqe, bear in mind he has a mechanical engineering degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Flouride for fluoride.

(Look at the thread that's open on it- every second poster repeats the mistake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wreckless instead of RECKLESS

Applause wrote: »
    So many people struggle with the spelling of "definitely", it's a crime, most browsers have spell check and phones have auto-correct, there's no excuse for it. :(

I think sometimes it's an auto-correct problem that goes unnoticed by the writer. I hope, anyway.

I once read '...a girl who is defiantly in my collage...' on this forum. I'm still reeling from the horror.

I marked work recently where the words weary/wary were misused by the brightest of people.
    'I'm weary of drawing conclusions, in spite of the evidence....'

The ever-present and incredibly lazy 'alot' irritates me as it's obviously not a word, which means that for some people the insertion of a space is too much effort.

I make plenty of mistakes myself, especially when I'm tired. I can overdo the commas and have been an apostrophe offender, but you can usually tell a poster who's made a typo from the ones who can't be bothered.

Lack of capitalisation also irks me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

It's like that song:

♫ Oh I, I just died in you're arm's tonight
    It must of being something you wrote said,
    I should of walked away. ♫

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There is at least four people that appear on my FB timeline that always spell COLLEGE wrong.... It's not COLLAGE!!!! It takes everything in me not to correct them...

There ARE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Could've as could of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Anyone who says/writes/posts that they're "weary" of something or someone, when they really mean wary.

I don't understand your point. They have two completely different meanings.

To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them. To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them. Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Martin567 wrote: »

That is my point.
    To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them.

Yes, it does.
    To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them.

Yes, it does.
    Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

It is obviously all about context. For example, if someone said to you, "I heard a noise downstairs in the kitchen and I was very weary when I checked it out", you would know in this instance they actually mean "wary", as in cautious, as opposed to "weary", meaning tired.

Seriously, if you've never encountered the misuse of weary and wary, then you're lucky to have FB friends who are literate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Break instead of brake and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Martin567 wrote: »

To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them. To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them. Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

Her point was your point. That's clearly why she posted it in this thread.

I don't understand YOUR point! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Her point was your point. That's clearly why she posted it in this thread.

I don't understand YOUR point! :confused:

I interpreted the original post as meaning that anyone who ever wrote that they were weary of something or someone had made an error as they should have written "wary".

I've never seen these two words mixed up before and the point of the original post wasn't completely clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wreckless instead of RECKLESS
    There's one man to blame for that one: Wreckless Eric. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you're on Twiter, then follow The Grammar Garda

www.twitter.com/thegrammargarda

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

glynf wrote: »
    People who use 'to' instead of 'too'.

These young un's and their text speak..
    Guilty as sin for that. Lol such a boring life you lead to notice :p For me it would be. They're,their. But I could care less. Who am I judging anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Compliment instead of complement

• Advertisement
Advertisement