Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

It could be a misspelling. But there are two different words in British English. The verb to license and the noun licence. Similar to advise/advice and practise/practice. So you would have to state the context to judge if the spelling is correct.

I would have seen examples like driving licence,off - licence probably the 2 most common mistakes i have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Karsini wrote: »
    Wrong as in "license"? Too much US English going around.
    There sure is. We must stay vigilant and not get desensitized to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

howyanow wrote: »
    I would have seen examples like driving licence,off - licence probably the 2 most common mistakes i have noticed.

I am looking at my driving licence. That's right Driving Licence, that is what is written on it. If you have one of your own please check it. Why are you calling it a mistake?

Did you understand what I posted? There are two different words licence and license, a noun and a verb. That is British English. In American English there is only the one word, license.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

I am looking at my driving licence. That's right Driving Licence, that is what is written on it. If you have one of your own please check it. Why are you calling it a mistake?

Did you understand what I posted? There are two different words licence and license, a noun and a verb. That is British English. In American English there is only the one word, license.

i was posting the correct spelling of the words.maybe i should have posted license as its that mistake that annoys me.i can see how it you would think i was mistaken sorry for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I've seen a lot of this around Boards recently for some reason.....

People using 'weary' instead of 'wary', eg "I'd be very weary of leaving my car door unlocked", that sort of thing....

Gah!!

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of this around Boards recently for some reason.....

People using 'weary' instead of 'wary', eg "I'd be very weary of leaving my car door unlocked", that sort of thing....

Gah!!

Wary is not a word I use much. Nor have I seen any examples of what you saw, except previous mentions of it on this thread. Is it really that common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Gards - Gardaí / Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wary is not a word I use much. Nor have I seen any examples of what you saw, except previous mentions of it on this thread. Is it really that common?

I actually just came onto this thread to make the same point as Doozer :eek:

I don't want to go highlighting examples but yep, it's a common one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It really is, see it a lot

bluewolf wrote: »
    It really is, see it a lot

I see alot a lot more frequently. I think it will soon make the dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Someone tried to argue that it was correct and made more sense. They weren't too amused when I said "I'm alittle thirsty, maybe I'll have acup of tea with aspoon of sugar"...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

spelling loose instead of lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

branie2 wrote: »
    spelling loose instead of lose

Probably happens because of the mad "rules" of the English language. Why do we have nose pose and rose to rhyme with hose but make lose rhyme with choose? But not with goose? And who the hell dreamed up the pronunciation for dose?

I have never heard someone misuse loose in speech as in "I was sure we were going to loose the game".

Advertisement